Poll: Will We Bring In FAs To Fix The Line?
No, We'll Roll With What We Have
Yes, We'll Make Moves
Too Early To Tell
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will We Bring In O-Linemen?
Given how this offseason has seemed like we're going all-in to win now and like we've been making moves to try and improve the roster, if the line doesn't show enough improvement over the next few preseason games, will we bring in any free agents to try and strengthen the weak areas on the line?  Would we make moves after last cuts?

Not everyone sees the line as too bad, and maybe it's not, but we can't do anything without protection for Andy to throw the ball, and teams mostly play vanilla defense in the preseason, so, if they struggle now, they'll seriously be eaten alive in the regular season.

Edit:  I just realized that I put "to early to tell" instead of "too early," so if a mod could fix that for me, I'd appreciate it  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Too early.
But I will say this, The Bengals will draft an OT and Guard fairly early next year.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Too early. If nobody steps up to take the RT spot by the end of the third preseason game, might be time to do something. If the team is serious about winning this year, then there’s no reason for them not to go out and get another tackle like they did in Glenn.

I would call the 49ers about Joe Staley.
Reply/Quote
If an olineman is worth a damn, he's in a camp somewhere.

We have what we have, and it's not that bad
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 09:41 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Given how this offseason has seemed like we're going all-in to win now and like we've been making moves to try and improve the roster, if the line doesn't show enough improvement over the next few preseason games, will we bring in any free agents to try and strengthen the weak areas on the line?  Would we make moves after last cuts?

Not everyone sees the line as too bad, and maybe it's not, but we can't do anything without protection for Andy to throw the ball, and teams mostly play vanilla defense in the preseason, so, if they struggle now, they'll seriously be eaten alive in the regular season.

Edit:  I just realized that I put "to early to tell" instead of "too early," so if a mod could fix that for me, I'd appreciate it  ThumbsUp
What on earth gave you the impression this team seemed like it was all-in to win? They made a few modest moves to improve but that is all
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
I was pleasantly surprised with Hart. He needs to show us some more. Nice lateral, nice punch.

Westerman should be our right guard, and I see that Pollack is already getting stubborn about it. Hopkins falls off his blocks and Redmond misses. Westerman's the man.
Reply/Quote
I believe we do, I think this team will surprise you with some moves it makes this season and a couple of those moves will be trades.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Short of Donald Penn getting cut we got to roll with what we got.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 10:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If an olineman is worth a damn, he's in a camp somewhere.

This is the problem.  No one that gets released is going to be very good at all.

The only way we sign another O-linemen is if things go very badly.  I don't think that is going to happen.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:31 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: I was pleasantly surprised with Hart.  He needs to show us some more. Nice lateral, nice punch.

should be our right guard, and I see that Pollack is already getting stubborn about it.  Hopkins falls off his blocks and Redmond misses. Westerman's the man.

He is? Good!.... And bad.

I find it pretty sad that Pollack (apparently) has to convince other coaches (or Owners/GM's  Whatever) on who should start.
Reply/Quote
Think we do.

May not be a name people are wanting, but believe a Guard is dropped that the Bengals add,

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 09:58 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Too early.
But I will say this, The Bengals will draft an OT and Guard fairly early next year.

I see this happening as well. I’m kinda in agreement with those who think we’re stuck with who we have. But, they’ve surprised me a lot this year so anything can happen.

Reply/Quote
I can see them bringing in a guy Pollack had in Dallas if he saw someone he liked that they cut. Other than that, we roll with what we have.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 02:04 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: What on earth gave you the impression this team seemed like it was all-in to win? They made a few modest moves to improve but that is all

Bringing in a number of free agents that are actually upgrades, which is unusual for us (Preston Brown, Cordy Glenn, Chris Baker), younger guys looking like they'll get their chance soon when Marvin usually prefers to let vets play, and the number of new coaches when Mike Brown typically is known for being loyal to the point of death being the only reason for a coach's firing.

Any other questions?
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 10:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is the problem.  No one that gets released is going to be very good at all.

The only way we sign another O-linemen is if things go very badly.  I don't think that is going to happen.

It's slim pickin's out there, right now.  The Bengals waived Div II OT, Austin Fleer, and within hours he's picked up by the Broncos.

I really don't like that the league has went to one cut down day, this year. Used to be, at the cutdown to 75, there were always some known commodities out there looking for new homes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bengals have already made their moves on the OL for the year. That's just how Mikey Brown works.

Reply/Quote
I think they'll roll through at least Hopkins, Westerman and Redmond at RG before bringing one in. RT might be a different story. Fisher and Ogbuehi both looked like they've always looked. A hint of promise with a side of really bad whiffs. If Hart doesn't work out, I could see a tackle brought in.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 01:32 PM)samhain Wrote: I think they'll roll through at least Hopkins, Westerman and Redmond at RG before bringing one in.  RT might be a different story.  Fisher and Ogbuehi both looked like they've always looked.  A hint of promise with a side of really bad whiffs.  If Hart doesn't work out, I could see a tackle brought in.

Honestly?  Even if Hart continues to improve, and "solidifies" the starting spot, they still need someone better than Ogbuehi or Fisher on the shelf.  How comfortable would you be with Og or Fish being one twisted knee away from either starting Tackle position?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 04:31 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Westerman should be our right guard, and I see that Pollack is already getting stubborn about it. 

(08-12-2018, 10:45 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: I find it pretty sad that Pollack (apparently) has to convince other coaches (or Owners/GM's  Whatever) on who should start.

WTF are yoiu guys talking about?

Is there a link to a story I missed?
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 10:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If an olineman is worth a damn, he's in a camp somewhere.

We have what we have, and it's not that bad

Pretty much this.  It isn't like there is some super secret group of serviceable tackles and guards sitting around just waiting to get picked up by the right team. 

If they bring in new o-line players they will most likely be players cut from other teams.  Maybe an older guy that still has a little gas in the tank but was overshadowed by newer, younger players. Even then given the importance of a solid o-line, most castaways probably won't be worth a damn either. Several teams have already lost o-line players to injury during camp and the preseason so I imagine they will be much more aggressive than the Bengals when it comes to picking up players that might be worth a darn.

tl;dr Too early to tell. P.S. I'm 6 beers into a good Sunday with Monday off work so probably not expressing my thoughts well. :)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote