Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Will We Regret Not Re-Signing Bates
A month ago Bates was hopeful that he would be re-signed. He wanted to play in Cincinnati a long time. Now on Bengals.com, Bates has given up hope of a new contract before season starts. He says perhaps he hasn't done enough yet to be paid as one of the top safeties in NFL. So his words show negotiations between his agent and Mike Browns staff just aren't happening.

Now Bates was considered Pro Bowl by the NFL last year and is rated as one of the best young Safeties in the NFL. He is 24, but still he deserved a hefty raise from his rookie contract ending. I couldn't see the highest salary yet at 15 mil, but 10 to 11 mil is the going price for the top 20 Safeties in the NFL. I would have thought he would be considered one of the top Safeties and get that. I have no idea what Bates agent wanted, or how low Mike Browns staff was offering. I do know Mike Brown has let good guards leave such as Montoya and Zeitler as Mike Brown said, " Why should I pay a Guard ". I have followed Bengals since 1968, and I have a gut feeling that besides Guards, they do not feel Safeties deserve much money either. They may still consider it a low pay scale position.

So whatever happened, it now seems certain that Jesse Bates will not be re-signed before the season. Mike Brown has often said he does not negotiate contracts once season starts, and it is time to put contracts away and play football. This would mean Bates contract ends at end of season and he becomes a free agent. Oh, Bengals could use Franchise Tag but that would only keep him one more year. Plus it would make him one of the highest paid Safeties in the NFL at the Franchise Tag rate, and that seems silly if team is refusing such a salary. Odds are he goes Free Agent and there are teams that will sign Jesse Bates on day one of Free Agency to grab such a Top Talent Safety and still so young.

To me it's a great disappointment that the young team leader on Defense was not re-signed this off season. I just feel this means it will be his last year for The Bengals, and it did not have to go this way. Bates was hopeful to get re-signed, but it just never happened. To me it is more questionable moves by a Front Office that has not won a play-off game since Paul Brown died in 30 years of frugal futility under Mike Brown.

So as one post is on will we regret drafting Chase, I feel an important question is, Will We Regret Not Re-Signing Bates ? If this causes it to be Bates last year as a Bengal, and he goes on to be Pro Bowl for years to come with another team since he is still so young, Will We Regret Not Re-Signing Bates ?

Since Bates on Bengals.com seems to have given up hope now, so will I. It is time to focus on Minnesota Vikings. This will be my last post on the matter for now, it's time to start the season. For myself, not re-signing such a good young player is a huge mistake to me. Come March, many teams will jump at the chance to sign him if Mike Brown is again too frugal. Some Bengal Fans will claim as Bates leaves that he asked for too much money, but that Company Line falls short as other teams rush to sign him in March. Again, The Franchise Tag would be silly, because it makes Bates one of the highest paid Safeties in NFL, which the Front Office is refusing to pay. So don't be looking for that Franchise Tag.

So one last time, Will We Regret Not Re-Signing Bates ?
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2021, 06:09 AM)kevin Wrote: The Franchise Tag would be silly, because it makes Bates one of the highest paid Safeties in NFL, which the Front Office is refusing to pay. So don't be looking for that Franchise Tag.

The entire premise of this thread is built upon this, and it's false. 

The safety franchise tag number was $10.6m in 2021, much less than the $15-17m/yr contracts being thrown at S right now. He will be tagged in 2022. It will probably be the non-exclusive franchise tag, which means he COULD negotiate with other teams, but they'd not only have to give him a contract that the Bengals were unwilling to match, but then they'd also have to give two 1st round picks to the Bengals. So he wouldn't go anywhere.

He will be tagged and he will still be a Bengal in 2022 and 2023.

/thread

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Is he still playing this year. I didn’t see him all pre-season.
Reply/Quote
Depends how much he wants I guess.
Reply/Quote
Probably going to regret it because he excels in pass defense which is all teams do in today’s nfl save a few teams.

But the bengals gonna bungle thins one, probably.
Reply/Quote
He's going to get tagged. They can still extend/re-sign him too, even if not immediately. Let the sky fall when it falls. This thread is at least two years premature.
Reply/Quote
When and if he goes to free agency and signs with another team, we can have this discussion. At this point, there is no real reason other than a press report that indicates no deal will be made in the next 2 years. In fact, with the last 2 safety signings, the market has been set so both sides are now negotiating with a new understanding of what the approximate contract should be. For all we know, there will be a deal before next Sunday. I know by nature Bengals fans are pessimistic, but I for one, will not borrow trouble, at least not until they play the first game of the 2021 season.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
This question cannot be answered until next year, and maybe even the year after that.

1.) We need to see how he plays in 2021. Does he further cement himself as a top 5 safety? Does he get even better and show he might be the best or 2nd best overall? Does he regress, and look to closer to safety #10 than he does safety #1?

2.) Do we tag him? What is the tag amount for 2022?

3.) If the answer to #2 is yes, how does he react to the tag? Is he pissed? Does it hurt the locker room? Does he threaten to hold out or demand a trade? Or is he perfectly fine with it, and all is well?

4.) What does the market look like in FA? There's a number of safeties coming up on contract. Do a few of them sign big deals (15 mil +) and drive up the price? Does the amount of safties available bring down the price (supply vs demand)?

5.) Do we eventually sign Bates long-term? What does that contract look like compared to the 13-15 million he most likley was looking at this year? Is it more? Is it less? Is it the same?

The biggest concerns are that we end up paying more in the long run than we would have had we inked him early, and/or does tagging him hurt the relationship. On the flip side, we may not end up paying any more at all or we may even save money, and we get to see another year before commiting.

Like I said, no one can answer this until next Spring. And even then we still might not have our answer.
Reply/Quote
As others have said ask me in 2 years.

WTS, we should have offered him an extension, but it takes 2 to tango. For all we know Bates priced himself out of an extension or just as likely the Bengals made a low offer..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2021, 06:09 AM)kevin Wrote: A month ago Bates was hopeful that he would be re-signed. He wanted to play in Cincinnati a long time. Now on Bengals.com, Bates has given up hope of a new contract before season starts. He says perhaps he hasn't done enough yet to be paid as one of the top safeties in NFL.  So his words show negotiations between his agent and Mike Browns staff just aren't happening.

Now Bates was considered Pro Bowl by the NFL last year and is rated as one of the best young Safeties in the NFL.  He is 24, but still he deserved a hefty raise from his rookie contract ending. I couldn't see the highest salary yet at 15 mil, but 10 to 11 mil is the going price for the top 20 Safeties in the NFL. I would have thought he would be considered one of the top Safeties and get that.  I have no idea what Bates agent wanted, or how low Mike Browns staff was offering. I do know Mike Brown has let good guards leave such as Montoya and Zeitler as Mike Brown said, " Why should I pay a Guard ".  I have followed Bengals since 1968, and I have a gut feeling that besides Guards, they do not feel Safeties deserve much money either. They may still consider it a low pay scale position.

So whatever happened, it now seems certain that Jesse Bates will not be re-signed before the season.  Mike Brown has often said he does not negotiate contracts once season starts, and it is time to put contracts away and play football. This would mean Bates contract ends at end of season and he becomes a free agent. Oh, Bengals could use Franchise Tag but that would only keep him one more year. Plus it would make him one of the highest paid Safeties in the NFL at the Franchise Tag rate, and that seems silly if team is refusing such a salary. Odds are he goes Free Agent and there are teams that will sign Jesse Bates on day one of Free Agency to grab such a Top Talent Safety and still so young.

To me it's a great disappointment that the young team leader on Defense was not re-signed this off season. I just feel this means it will be his last year for The Bengals, and it did not have to go this way.  Bates was hopeful to get re-signed, but it just never happened. To me it is more questionable moves by a Front Office that has not won a play-off game since Paul Brown died in 30 years of frugal futility under Mike Brown.

So as one post is on will we regret drafting Chase, I feel an important question is, Will We Regret Not Re-Signing Bates ?   If this causes it to be Bates last year as a Bengal, and he goes on to be Pro Bowl for years to come with another team since he is still so young, Will We Regret Not Re-Signing Bates ?

Since Bates on Bengals.com seems to have given up hope now, so will I.  It is time to focus on Minnesota Vikings.  This will be my last post on the matter for now, it's time to start the season. For myself, not re-signing such a good young player is a huge mistake to me. Come March, many teams will jump at the chance to sign him if Mike Brown is again too frugal. Some Bengal Fans will claim as Bates leaves that he asked for too much money, but that Company Line falls short as other teams rush to sign him in March. Again, The Franchise Tag would be silly, because it makes Bates one of the highest paid Safeties in NFL, which the Front Office is refusing to pay. So don't be looking for that Franchise Tag.  

So one last time, Will We Regret Not Re-Signing Bates ?

Do you stay up at night thinking about things to complain about this team? There is no hurry to extend Bates.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2021, 12:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Do you stay up at night thinking about things to complain about this team? There is no hurry to extend Bates.

He just wanted to make his own regret thread. 50 pages over on the Chase one is a desirable output and he wants in on some of that action.

Just kidding Kevin, but we do have a lot of threads and thought on this. Agree with most on here, general consensus is Cinci has the leverage right now and we will have to wait and see.
Reply/Quote
Well, if we did it to Withworth on Offense, gotta have someone on Defense too right? Bates could be THE one. Watch the squeelers snatch him up.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2021, 02:02 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Well, if we did it to Withworth on Offense, gotta have someone on Defense too right? Bates could be THE one. Watch the squeelers snatch him up.

You realize we can tag him next year and the year after, right? And there's a big difference between a safety in his early 20's and an offensive lineman in his mid 30's. Apples and Oranges.
Reply/Quote
Gotta get rid of Marvins guys.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2021, 07:22 AM)Whacked Wrote: Is he still playing this year. I didn’t see him all pre-season.

At this point I regret drafting him. Haven't even read about him doin' anything in practice either. Bust...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Wonder how much the franchise tag will be?
How did using the franchise tag work out for us last time.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2021, 12:17 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Do you stay up at night thinking about things to complain about this team? There is no hurry to extend Bates.

At least it's not 1 of his 18838392729 threads about the Oline and  run game....
Reply/Quote
Depends. Us young people need them as well as the old. Mellow
Reply/Quote
We havent not resigned him yet, still plenty of time. Until he goes officially on the FA market, he's a Bengal. I'm guessing he will sign here before that happens.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2021, 10:31 PM)bengaloo Wrote: We havent not resigned him yet, still plenty of time. Until he goes officially on the FA market, he's a Bengal. I'm guessing he will sign here before that happens.

Even if he doesn't Jessie is here for at least a couple years with the tag. Not and end all, I just wanted to give him some incentive.
Reply/Quote