Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will an elite WR finally win the Super Bowl again?
Will Julio Jones finally put an end to the notion that having a superstar WR actually hinders a team from winning it all in the modern NFL? I personally like the Falcons chances despite the Pats being favored by 3 atm. Basically, do you think Ryan/Julio are good enough to beat Brady/Belichick? 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I don't think so because people won't change their minds over it happening once.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 09:15 PM)J24 Wrote: I don't think so because people won't change their minds over it happening once.

Probably not, but if they win they will have beat Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Russell Wilson to do it. Sure seems like evidence an elite WR makes a big difference to me...

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 12:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Will Julio Jones finally put an end to the notion that having a superstar WR actually hinders a team from winning it all in the modern NFL? I personally like the Falcons chances despite the Pats being favored by 3 atm. Basically, do you think Ryan/Julio are good enough to beat Brady/Belichick? 

No.  I do not.  B and B are on a pissed off mission to shove the Lombardi down Roger's throat and nothing will stop them.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 09:15 PM)J24 Wrote: I don't think so because people won't change their minds over it happening once.

People will mention it if and when it fits their narratives.  Brady is always brought up to "prove" that a 6th round pick can be as good as a first overall.  Trent Dilfer is always mentioned by any team that doesn't have a top 3 QB under center, so on and so forth.
Reply/Quote
I'm beginning to feel like this is someone's hair brained attempt at lobbying for the Bengals to go WR in the 1st..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 10:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm beginning to feel like this is someone's hair brained attempt at lobbying for the Bengals to go WR in the 1st..

Um...no.  I just never agreed with the idea having an elite WR hurts more than it helps. To me it's just the odds of even having a WR the level of a Julio or a Green are low, so obviously there's not going to be many teams winning SB's with such a player.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2017, 12:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Will Julio Jones finally put an end to the notion that having a superstar WR actually hinders a team from winning it all in the modern NFL? I personally like the Falcons chances despite the Pats being favored by 3 atm. Basically, do you think Ryan/Julio are good enough to beat Brady/Belichick? 

Don Maynard, Otis Taylor, Bobby Hayes, Paul Warfield, Lynn Swann, Fred Biletnikoff, John Stallworth, Cliff Branch, Art Monk, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Michael Irvin, Isaac Bruce, Tory Holt, Keyshan Johnson, Hines Ward, Marvin Harrison, Plaxico Burress and last year Thomas and Sanders were pretty good...So where you get never any good WR's on Super Bowl Champs amazes me. ...Oh, watch out for Edelman besides Falcons Jones and Sanu.  

I look at NFL Champions, even going back before Super Bowl and I do not see how having a good WR hindered a team. Ask Bengals how much Rice and Taylor hindered the 49ers. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 10:06 AM)kevin Wrote: Don Maynard, Otis Taylor, Bobby Hayes, Paul Warfield, Lynn Swann, Fred Biletnikoff, John Stallworth, Cliff Branch, Art Monk, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Michael Irvin, Isaac Bruce, Tory Holt, Keyshan Johnson, Hines Ward, Marvin Harrison, Plaxico Burress and last year Thomas and Sanders were pretty good...So where you get never any good WR's on Super Bowl Champs amazes me. ...Oh, watch out for Edelman besides Falcons Jones and Sanu.  

I look at NFL Champions, even going back before Super Bowl and I do not see how having a good WR hindered a team. Ask Bengals how much Rice and Taylor hindered the 49ers. 

Modern era.  Wink

And "pretty good" isn't elite.

Reply/Quote
What about the future Hall of Famer, Chris Hogan? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Different words have different meanings. Are you thinking "diva" and "elite" are the same? They aren't and I've never heard of anyone claiming a team with an elite receiver can't win it all. I have heard that with diva.

Julio may be elite (I don't assign that word to anyone in football since Barry Sanders but since it is the word you are using) but he is definitely not a diva. In fact during his second year a recurring topic of conversation here in Atlanta was the fact that the Falcons don't have diva receivers. Even if Julio was a diva in college the team at the time he was drafted including Roddy White and headcoach Mike Smith would have probably smacked the diva out of him or the GM wouldn't have drafted him on Smith's advice.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 10:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Modern era.  Wink

I mentioned Super Bowls and some Super Bowls of just lately....and I'll use the word ELITE if that's what you need.  Try to say the names I mentioned not ELITE. Many are in Hall Of Fame or will go on to it.  They were winners and some of the best.  They have the Super Bowl Ring. If Edelman wins again that is at least his second Super Bowl ring.  I would consider these modern era. Some of you kids maybe think anything past last year is old. By that standard there would be nothing to base any judgement on if ELITE WR's help or hinder.  Again, ask Bengals if Rice and Taylor hindered 49ers or Ward hindered Steelers or Harrison hindered Colts. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Who's wearing white this year?  Whoever wears white in the Super Bowl has won 11 of the last 12 Super Bowls or something ridiculous like that. 

Are the Falcons wearing white?  I hope so.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 05:56 PM)kevin Wrote: I mentioned Super Bowls and some Super Bowls of just lately....and I'll use the word ELITE if that's what you need.  Try to say the names I mentioned not ELITE. Many are in Hall Of Fame or will go on to it.  They were winners and some of the best.  They have the Super Bowl Ring. If Edelman wins again that is at least his second Super Bowl ring.  I would consider these modern era. Some of you kids maybe think anything past last year is old. By that standard there would be nothing to base any judgement on if ELITE WR's help or hinder.  Again, ask Bengals if Rice and Taylor hindered 49ers or Ward hindered Steelers or Harrison hindered Colts. 

Oh ffs first of all I'm not a "kid" and as far as a the era I'm talking about, how about anything THIS century.

To answer another claim in this thread no I'm not talking about "divas." I'm talking about an elite WR that is completely dominant compared to the rest if the league  (Julio, AJ, OBJ, Brown, etc). As far as never having seen this claim made, it was THIS very MB I saw it mentioned more than once. And although I don't agree with the reason it hasn't happened more often, it's hard to argue against. Thus my interest in if Julio can break the trend.

Reply/Quote
Sure. It's Julian Edelman. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2017, 10:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Modern era.  Wink

Define "modern era".

Marvin Harrison is 8th overall in receiving yards. Retired in 2008.
Reggie Wayne, Super Bowl MVP, ranks 10th.

8 of the top 10 in receiving yards have retired from 2008 and some are still playing. 3 of those have won a Super Bowl. 7 of them have played in one. Only one not to in Tony Gonzalez.

There's quite a few WRs that have won Super Bowls.

When you say "elite", do you mean one of the top 3 in the league? If that's the case, you can argue that about any position outside of QB.

When's the last modern era elite running back to win the Super Bowl? What about elite tight end? Outside of Gronk in 2014, it's been such a long time. What about elite defensive tackle?

Winning the Super Bowl is a team sport. There's more to Atlanta than just Julio.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2017, 05:19 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: 1.Define "modern era".

2. Marvin Harrison is 8th overall in receiving yards. Retired in 2008.
Reggie Wayne, Super Bowl MVP, ranks 10th.

8 of the top 10 in receiving yards have retired from 2008 and some are still playing. 3 of those have won a Super Bowl. 7 of them have played in one. Only one not to in Tony Gonzalez.

There's quite a few WRs that have won Super Bowls.

3. When you say "elite", do you mean one of the top 3 in the league? If that's the case, you can argue that about any position outside of QB.

4. When's the last modern era elite running back to win the Super Bowl? What about elite tight end? Outside of Gronk in 2014, it's been such a long time. What about elite defensive tackle?

5. Winning the Super Bowl is a team sport. There's more to Atlanta than just Julio.

1. This century seems like a good cut off. The game has even changed a lot in the last 10-15 years though. 

2. Harrison and Wayne are probably legitimate examples. 

3. I'd say elite is top 5. More about being completely dominant compared to their competition than anything. 

4. Marshawn Lynch of the top of my head. Ngata was an elite DT that won a SB. TE you already mentioned Gronk.

5. Of course it is. 

Reply/Quote