Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will anyone else be suspended for playing hard?
Saw a lot of heads being hit tonight in the first game of the year.

Wonder how many non-Bengals get suspended this year for 3+ games?

Probably lots right? The league is all about safety.
Reply/Quote
Since Burfict wasn't playing tonight I don't see anyone getting suspended.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:49 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Saw a lot of heads being hit tonight in the first game of the year.

Wonder how many non-Bengals get suspended this year for 3+ games?

Probably lots right? The league is all about safety.

Newton was ear holed near the end of the game. Would have been a much shorter FG for the win.

I have to agree with OP, that same hit by a Bengal defender draws a personal,perhaps an ejection, a huge fine, and perhaps a suspension.

Unfortunately, the double standard theory is in full effect. 
Reply/Quote
Burfict would have been taken outside and shot at halftime for some of those hits.
Reply/Quote
Where's Wes Mantooth to tell us that the league is all about safety now and the same hits the Ravens and Steelers made 10 years ago would draw flags today?
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
They just seemed to be completely disregarding it last night. It was quite surprising after all of this offseason focus on hits to the head. Wonder if the league office actually admits the mistakes made and hands out some fines.
Reply/Quote
There will be fines, and if any show a repeated pattern of wanton disregard then I am sure they will be suspended down the road. Seriously people Burffict caused this suspension from years of dirty play, it wasn't a single hit. There was a safety for the Redskins a couple years ago who got suspended because he kept hitting guys in the head, it's not just a Burffict thing it's a repeat offender thing.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:31 AM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Newton was ear holed near the end of the game. Would have been a much shorter FG for the win.

I have to agree with OP, that same hit by a Bengal defender draws a personal,perhaps an ejection, a huge fine, and perhaps a suspension.

Unfortunately, the double standard theory is in full effect. 

I thought for sure that they were going to call that leading with the helmet.  I was shocked when they called the intentional grounding to offset the roughing.  I think the NFL was serving Newton a little pay back for his post Super Bowl behavior.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Since none of Denver's defenders are named Burfict ill assume there will be no suspensions handed out.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 09:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: There will be fines, and if any show a repeated pattern of wanton disregard then I am sure they will be suspended down the road. Seriously people Burffict caused this suspension from years of dirty play, it wasn't a single hit. There was a safety for the Redskins a couple years ago who got suspended because he kept hitting guys in the head, it's not just a Burffict thing it's a repeat offender thing.

Repeat offender?  Like Mike Mitchell?  Took out Eifert at the beginning of our game.  Took out AJ, and threatened Marvin Jones that he was next.  What happened to him?  He got a contract extension.  It is just Burfict and it is just the Bengals.  The league loved when we just sat there and sucked.  Now that they have built a great team with a hard-nosed defense that (with a clean hit) injured Le'Veon Bell and actually punches back, they have a massive problem with it.

You will call me a conspiracy theorist with a tin foil hat, but the league absolutely takes care of larger fan base teams and the Bengals have to be at or near the bottom of that list.  Burfict has had ZERO off the field troubles, yet you would think he raped and beat women, had 4 DUIs, all while smoking crack on PEDs.  The guy has almost no chance of making it through this year without getting another fine for a hit that someone will deem malicious and he will then be suspended for a year.  That will take the Bengal's best defensive player off the field.  The ONLY thing I have seen him do that I questioned was the twisting of Olsen's ankle.  The rest, is exactly what you saw last night...except he gets flagged.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 10:33 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Repeat offender?  Like Mike Mitchell?  Took out Eifert at the beginning of our game.  Took out AJ, and threatened Marvin Jones that he was next.  What happened to him?  He got a contract extension.  It is just Burfict and it is just the Bengals.  The league loved when we just sat there and sucked.  Now that they have built a great team with a hard-nosed defense that (with a clean hit) injured Le'Veon Bell and actually punches back, they have a massive problem with it.

You will call me a conspiracy theorist with a tin foil hat, but the league absolutely takes care of larger fan base teams and the Bengals have to be at or near the bottom of that list.  Burfict has had ZERO off the field troubles, yet you would think he raped and beat women, had 4 DUIs, all while smoking crack on PEDs.  The guy has almost no chance of making it through this year without getting another fine for a hit that someone will deem malicious and he will then be suspended for a year.  That will take the Bengal's best defensive player off the field.  The ONLY thing I have seen him do that I questioned was the twisting of Olsen's ankle.  The rest, is exactly what you saw last night...except he gets flagged.

James Harrison, Dashon Goldson, Brandon Merriweather have all been suspended for repeated illegal hits. Sorry, you are playing the victim card because of your fandom.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 09:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: There will be fines, and if any show a repeated pattern of wanton disregard then I am sure they will be suspended down the road. Seriously people Burffict caused this suspension from years of dirty play, it wasn't a single hit. There was a safety for the Redskins a couple years ago who got suspended because he kept hitting guys in the head, it's not just a Burffict thing it's a repeat offender thing.

This ^^^^ Burfict was literally warned during the week before the playoff game that they were watching him because of the hit at Baltimore (which I do not believe was flagged, but could be wrong).  It's not like he had not been fined in the past, or that was his first infraction.  The world is not out to hold the Bengals down.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:11 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This ^^^^ Burfict was literally warned during the week before the playoff game that they were watching him because of the hit at Baltimore (which I do not believe was flagged, but could be wrong).  It's not like he had not been fined in the past, or that was his first infraction.  The world is not out to hold the Bengals down.

Correct, he launched into Williams head the week before. It was away from the play though so many didn't even see it happen, but it was far more egregious than the Brown hit as there was not even a reason for him to do it.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:11 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This ^^^^ Burfict was literally warned during the week before the playoff game that they were watching him because of the hit at Baltimore (which I do not believe was flagged, but could be wrong).  It's not like he had not been fined in the past, or that was his first infraction.  The world is not out to hold the Bengals down.
Same type of BS was called on Nelson and Williams last season. In both cases they were clean hits and they both led with their shoulder pads on the tackles. Both were on big plays and each was flagged for making a clean tackle.

So, that doesn't just make it a "Burfict" thing. It just may make it a Bengal thing.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:33 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Same type of BS was called on Nelson and Williams last season. In both cases they were clean hits and they both led with their shoulder pads on the tackles. Both were on big plays and each was flagged for making a clean tackle.

So, that doesn't just make it a "Burfict" thing. It just may make it a Bengal thing.

Do you watch other games?  People are penalized for hits all the time.  Some are questionable once you see them on replay, some are egregious.  Every week there is a list of players who are fined by the NFL, many times for calls that were missed during the game.  It's an NFL thing because they have to clean up their reputation when it comes to player safety.  They just paid out almost a billion dollars to ex players, with many more suits to follow.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:46 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Do you watch other games?  People are penalized for hits all the time.  Some are questionable once you see them on replay, some are egregious.  Every week there is a list of players who are fined by the NFL, many times for calls that were missed during the game.  It's an NFL thing because they have to clean up their reputation when it comes to player safety.  They just paid out almost a billion dollars to ex players, with many more suits to follow.

I will not defend Burfict, his number of incidents were his undoing. However, The league admits the Bernard hit was a penalty and should have been flagged. The league admitted the Huber hit was illegal and should have been flagged when the dude broke his jaw. Yet, no suspensions and no fine for Shazier. Shazier gets a free pass so he next incident will technically be number 1 versus #2 and a suspension.

Bengals fans do have some facts and reasons why they feel the league does not apply fines/suspensions failrly and both times one team received the benefit. Why can't we question why the Steelers are getting great treatment?
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Star 

He needs to adjust to the rules just like Ray Lewis mentioned he had to do.

Being old school, I can remember hits Butkus and Jack Lambent used to make.

Heck for that matter they used to call Jack Tatum, a CB for the Raiders, 'The Assassin'!
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:46 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Do you watch other games?  People are penalized for hits all the time.  Some are questionable once you see them on replay, some are egregious.  Every week there is a list of players who are fined by the NFL, many times for calls that were missed during the game.  It's an NFL thing because they have to clean up their reputation when it comes to player safety.  They just paid out almost a billion dollars to ex players, with many more suits to follow.

As the league should! The players playing the game is what earns the suits their income.

You believe what you want and I will believe what is closer to fact.

If that's a Bengal defender that helmet to helmet ear holes one of the league's premier QB's, in prime time, on national television, during the leagues season opening marquee game; he gets a big fat personal foul or fine at the very least.

The NFL had the supreme venue and opportunity to showcase the fact that those kind of hits are "now unacceptable" just last night and the kid got off without even receiving a penalty. 

Way to go NFL!! Way to show us how much you really care about player safety.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:07 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: As the league should! The players playing the game is what earns the suits their income.

You believe what you want and I will believe what is closer to fact.

If that's a Bengal defender that helmet to helmet ear holes one of the league's premier QB's, in prime time, on national television, during the leagues season opening marquee game; he gets a big fat personal foul or fine at the very least.

The NFL had the supreme venue and opportunity to showcase the fact that those kind of hits are "now unacceptable" just last night and the kid got off without even receiving a penalty. 

Way to go NFL!! Way to show us how much you really care about player safety.

They will all be fined on Monday ( I think that's the day fines come down). Things are missed in games all the time, I am not sure why you act like they "Got away with it". There is no secret vendetta against the Bengals, there just isn't no matter what anyone wants to believe. No one here cared to stand up for James Harrison back when every time he hit someone he was getting fined/flagged.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: James Harrison, Dashon Goldson, Brandon Merriweather have all been suspended for repeated illegal hits. Sorry, you are playing the victim card because of your fandom.

Harrison suspended one game. Been dirty his whole career.

Goldson one game suspension. Repeated violations.

Merriweather. Suspended 2 games. Reduced to 1. Suspended again for 2. Helmet to helmet master.

Burfict incidental contact with shoulder to helmet. 3 game suspension.

1 game, 1 game, multiple suspensions adding up to 3 games. And then Burfict. 3 games. One of these things is not like the other.
Reply/Quote