Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will anyone else be suspended for playing hard?
(09-09-2016, 02:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Harrison suspended one game. Been dirty his whole career.

Goldson one game suspension. Repeated violations.

Merriweather. Suspended 2 games. Reduced to 1. Suspended again for 2. Helmet to helmet master.

Burfict incidental contact with shoulder to helmet. 3 game suspension.

1 game, 1 game, multiple suspensions adding up to 3 games. And then Burfict. 3 games. One of these things is not like the other.

Have you see the Maxx Williams hit (shouldn't have even been playing in the playoff game honestly)? What about him twisting Greg Olson and Cam Newton's Ankles? The least egregious thing he did was the hit on Brown, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:13 PM)Au165 Wrote: They will all be fined on Monday ( I think that's the day fines come down). Things are missed in games all the time, I am not sure why you act like they "Got away with it". There is no secret vendetta against the Bengals, there just isn't no matter what anyone wants to believe. No one here cared to stand up for James Harrison back when every time he hit someone he was getting fined/flagged.

I expect a fine as well and you clearly miss the point.

I don't think that there is a conspiracy against the Bengals but I do believe that if that had been a Bengal on that hit, in that prime time game, it would have been all the buzz this morning with the heads.

Instead of using a great chance to clear the water on the way they claim to want the game to be played, they just helped to muddy it up even more by letting the Denver defender get away with a helmet to helmet hit against a QB,Cam Newton.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:11 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This ^^^^ Burfict was literally warned during the week before the playoff game that they were watching him because of the hit at Baltimore (which I do not believe was flagged, but could be wrong).  It's not like he had not been fined in the past, or that was his first infraction.  The world is not out to hold the Bengals down.

Yeah the hit in Baltimore should have been called.  It was gratuitous to say the least.  And I'm pretty sure he was spitting on people during one of the Pittsburgh games which resulted in DeCastro leveling Tez in the end zone.   But it was really his only egregious hit during the season that I saw.   I did not think the hit on Brown warranted a 3 game suspension.

I mean he had a long history of nasty behaviors - jewel jingling and twisting ankles in the pile.  I thought he'd scaled back.  Hopefully he does.  He doesn't need to do that.  He's an awesome player.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:38 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote:  

I don't think that there is a conspiracy against the Bengals but I do believe that if that had been a Bengal on that hit, in that prime time game, it would have been all the buzz this morning with the heads.

Instead of using a great chance to clear the water on the way they claim to want the game to be played, they just helped to muddy it up even more by letting the Denver defender get away with a helmet to helmet hit against a QB,Cam Newton.

Flags get thrown and held all the time. The refs have never been great, I don't think it was any more likely to get thrown on a Bengal than a Bronco. We were the 23rd most penalized team on defense last year, i.e. we weren't getting flagged nearly as much as other teams. As I said, they will get it across when they hand out the fines next week. Missing the flag in game isn't enabling anything, but I'm sure the refs will be downgraded for it.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 01:49 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Saw a lot of heads being hit tonight in the first game of the year.

Wonder how many non-Bengals get suspended this year for 3+ games?

Probably lots right? The league is all about safety.

why doesn't cam get flags for getting hit in the head while standing in the pocket?
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:42 PM)Au165 Wrote: Flags get thrown and held all the time. The refs have never been great, I don't think it was any more likely to get thrown on a Bengal than a Bronco. We were the 23rd most penalized team on defense last year, i.e. we weren't getting flagged nearly as much as other teams. As I said, they will get it across when they hand out the fines next week. Missing the flag in game isn't enabling anything, but I'm sure the refs will be downgraded for it.

I see your points, and I don't think there's a conspiracy about the Bengals, but the inequity of the calls in the playoff game and the revision of fines handed down to the Steeler's after the fact was a glaring example of inequitable treatment by the league.  I have no idea whether that is because they thought were treating another team preferentially or just minimizing their mishandling of the game for the 2nd week in a row.

I don't think we're all just a bunch of histrionic homers on this. 
Reply/Quote
Perception vs. Reality. The perception is, in regards to the Steelers, that they are treated with a substantial degree of "benefit of the doubt" when it comes to both in-game calls and post-game punishment, while Cincy is treated without such leeway.

The reality is, well, I am not sure. To me there are glaring examples just off the top of my head of favorable "non-calls" for Pit (Shazier hit on Gio), (Munchak yanking Nelson's hair) along with very favorable calls, again, for Pit (Burfict hit on Brown, etc..). Yet there are probably examples of more than a handful of calls going our way against them as well in each meeting. The truth lies somewhere in the middle imo.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:38 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote:  

It was the talk on Mike and Mike this morning, was on the front of MSN, it was talked about on ESPN.  It is the buzz amongst the talking heads.  Everyone has said they missed a call (the call towards the end of the game was called, but it was an offsetting penalty) and fines will be forthcoming.

I agree with you that the league should have paid money to former players.  I also think they need to do more to address the concussion issue, but that is what they are trying to do by outlawing some of the flagrant hits.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:38 PM)3wt Wrote: Yeah the hit in Baltimore should have been called.  It was gratuitous to say the least.  And I'm pretty sure he was spitting on people during one of the Pittsburgh games which resulted in DeCastro leveling Tez in the end zone.   But it was really his only egregious hit during the season that I saw.   I did not think the hit on Brown warranted a 3 game suspension.

I mean he had a long history of nasty behaviors - jewel jingling and twisting ankles in the pile.  I thought he'd scaled back.  Hopefully he does.  He doesn't need to do that.  He's an awesome player.

I personally do not think the hit on Brown warranted three games either.  At least not by itself.  I've always thought it was the build up of hits and fines since he has been in the league.  I also don't think him running down the tunnel before the game was over helped his case either.  He is young, and there has been a fairly steady stream of things, so my opinion is Goodell said "we're going to come down hard, hope he gets the message, and end this now".  I could be wrong, it's just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 04:38 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It was the talk on Mike and Mike this morning, was on the front of MSN, it was talked about on ESPN.  It is the buzz amongst the talking heads.  Everyone has said they missed a call (the call towards the end of the game was called, but it was an offsetting penalty) and fines will be forthcoming.

I agree with you that the league should have paid money to former players.  I also think they need to do more to address the concussion issue, but that is what they are trying to do by outlawing some of the flagrant hits.

Good to know! Sometimes I miss mornings altogether. 
Reply/Quote

[Image: 14291684_1856552657899515_44427765601708...e=58776B34]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The NFL already proved its bias in last years SB with Talib saying he meant to kill the guy after trying to kill the guy.

He is a repeat offender and got a fine.

Reply/Quote
Shit...Joey Porter and his buddies jumped and robbed Levi Jones in Vegas. This mofo got fined 3 game checks and 0 game suspension. They threw Odell out the league and suspended Chris Henry 2 years for less heinous stuff. Shits rigged, been that way for years. I still watch, so I'm the ahole
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 12:03 PM)Au165 Wrote: James Harrison, Dashon Goldson, Brandon Merriweather have all been suspended for repeated illegal hits. Sorry, you are playing the victim card because of your fandom.

Really?  Count up those hits that those three guys made helmet to helmet over the years.  I would all but guarantee it is more than Burfict.  The only one that might be close to him is Goldson, because of fewer opportunities and the hits are rarely on QBs.  Yet, their suspensions were for one game.  All of them lost one game.  One.  ONE!  Merriweather was two, but was reduced to ONE.

Burfict is the best player on his team's defense.  He is a far more important player to his team than any of those other players.  And he gets three games for a glancing blow on Antonio Brown. 

I'm sorry, you are playing the ignorance card if you think those are equal punishments. 
Reply/Quote
What is your guys thoughts on the hit by Brandon Marshall on Cam Newton?

Should he be fined/suspended?
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:50 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: why doesn't cam get flags for getting hit in the head while standing in the pocket?

I'm pretty sure almost all of those hits were when he was outside the pocket and is therefor a running back.  Doesn't make it right, but explains a little bit why the refs seemingly allow him to take more late hits than, say, Tom Brady.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 08:54 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The NFL already proved its bias in last years SB with Talib saying he meant to kill the guy after trying to kill the guy.

He is a repeat offender and got a fine.

If he was a Buc, he would have been in real trouble...but for New England and Denver??? No problem.  I kept waiting for Aaron Hernandez to get away with his murder(s).  I guess he was too stupid in leaving too much evidence. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2016, 02:27 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Harrison suspended one game. Been dirty his whole career.

Goldson one game suspension. Repeated violations.

Merriweather. Suspended 2 games. Reduced to 1. Suspended again for 2. Helmet to helmet master.

Burfict incidental contact with shoulder to helmet. 3 game suspension.

1 game, 1 game, multiple suspensions adding up to 3 games. And then Burfict. 3 games. One of these things is not like the other.

Late hit after having been fined at least four times for dirty play.

Don't want the judge to throw the book at you?  Stop doing things that cause you to go in front of him!
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2016, 10:55 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: Late hit after having been fined at least four times for dirty play.

Don't want the judge to throw the book at you?  Stop doing things that cause you to go in front of him!

And the precedent has been set. When fines dont get the point across guys get 1 game suspensions. 

Malcolm Mitchell has been head hunting a few years now for the Steelers. Will he be suspended 3 games the next time he does it ? Doubtful. James Harrison fined and suspended before. Will he get 3 games next time he delivers an illegal hit? Doubt it.

LeVeon got a dui and possession of illegal drugs. Then missed multiple drug tests over a multiple month period. The precedent is set on the substance abuse issue. It sure didnt get followed for him. I isnt rare for a player to take a banned substance to help in a recovery from injury. Well Leveon had months where he didnt even go piss to take whatever he wanted. He should be looking at a year long ban the next time he messes up. Instead he is suspended the same amount as Burfict. 
Reply/Quote