Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the AFCN be a "weak" division this season?
(06-24-2016, 03:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If there is one team that always seems to have a backup plan, it's Pittsburgh.  Remember last year, when everyone was questioning how well their OL would perform?  Though not top of the charts, their OL was very good in critical situations.  So, them finding another body to share the load at WR, particularly with the quantity of qualified bodies that emerge each season, is not really a big worry.

Yeah, in all fairness we as Bengals fans love to knock the Steelers for being old and out of touch, but then when the guys we criticized (LeBeau, Troy, Harrison, Kiesel, and now Miller) are gone we predict the replacements won't cut it like the old guys did.  I realize it's the nature of fandom but here we are wondering how Ben is going to possibly get by without Bryant and Miller but we've already declared the Bengals to be "fine" or "better" without Jones, Sanu, and possibly Eifert.  So much for that chemistry and history stuff, eh?

Meh, that's fandom for ya!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Chemistry for the Bengals should definately be taken into account with the new weapons for Dalton.

But still, if the O-line can block well in the running game and give Dalton some time the O should be good enough to
win games early in the season with this Defense. Best Defense in the Division by far. Adding Billings was great but we
probably won't see much of him till midseason once the team can really take off.

The Steelers are the only team to really threaten cause of that passing game but Bengals secondary was kept together
besides Reggie who was a Steeler killer lets not kid ourselves on that one. This will be the fight for the Division again.

The Ravens were decimated by injuries but still lost a few really good players. They could win 8 games. I think
Brandon Williams will be a great DT for them, but there is still questions on that Defense in the passing game similar to
the Steelers who have major questions in the Secondary. CJ Mosley is a damn good player as well for the Ravens.

The Browns are in rebuild, evident by Hue's moves since being HC.

Bengals should win 10-13 games, Steelers 8-10, Ravens 5-8, Browns 2-5...

Not a weak Division by any means.
Reply/Quote
Steelers will be no less than 2 games behind us.

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2016, 06:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bengals should win 10-13 games, Steelers 8-10, Ravens 5-8, Browns 2-5...

Not a weak Division by any means.

Hmm, not a weak division but you only assure one of the teams will have a winning season? 
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2016, 03:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, not a weak division but you only assure one of the teams will have a winning season? 

Two, Bengals and the Steelers. But the Steelers could lose 8 games and finish at .500 IMO.

While the Ravens might be able to muster a .500 season and win 8. Cannot count either team out though of course.

Just what i am seeing right now.

The Bengals have the best team overall as long as the passing game comes along after a game or two.

The Steelers have a good Offense but that Secondary is their weakness.

The Ravens lost a lot of close games last year so they could turn that around not being decimated by injuries.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 07:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Two, Bengals and the Steelers. But the Steelers could lose 8 games and finish at .500 IMO.

While the Ravens might be able to muster a .500 season and win 8. Cannot count either team out though of course.

Just what i am seeing right now.

The Bengals have the best team overall as long as the passing game comes along after a game or two.

The Steelers have a good Offense but that Secondary is their weakness.

The Ravens lost a lot of close games last year so they could turn that around not being decimated by injuries.

Steelers worry me.

They won't have Bryant or Heath, but I think Green is better than Miller and Brown produces regardless of who is across from him, and they could sign someone that gets released after final cuts.  They don't have much cap space to offer anyone worth anything (they might even be over the cap), and players always USED to give them discounts to play there, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Their defense can definitely be exposed, but trying to get into a shootout with them is exactly what they want.  I think our offense could also be explosive and our defense could be swarming, so it might not matter  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
this will be another interesting season between the bengals and steelers

the other two teams wont keep up
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2016, 11:47 AM)Cocoapuffs Wrote: this will be another interesting season between the bengals and steelers

the other two teams wont keep up

The Ravens could be better if they're not decimated by injuries again.

I don't think they can compete for the division title, but I think they'll be improved.  I'd say 5 to 8 wins.
Reply/Quote
all depends on what jump ball joe can do and if the league gives him free yardage with the phantom PI calls
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 10:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Steelers worry me.

They won't have Bryant or Heath, but I think Green is better than Miller and Brown produces regardless of who is across from him, and they could sign someone that gets released after final cuts.  They don't have much cap space to offer anyone worth anything (they might even be over the cap), and players always USED to give them discounts to play there, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

Their defense can definitely be exposed, but trying to get into a shootout with them is exactly what they want.  I think our offense could also be explosive and our defense could be swarming, so it might not matter  ThumbsUp

Green is a better pass catcher than Heath but in the end i do not think Green is better. Plus he is a chemistry issue
similar to what Lafell and Boyd are. I do not see an advantage here especially with the Bengals secondary which is
still in tact besides Reggie who seemed to be falling off last year in tackling.

Kroft for the Bengals seems to be a bigger issue each day leading up to the Bengals/Steelers first game...

Kroft was great for a rookie in both blocking and pass catching. More first team snaps only helps him.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 09:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Kroft for the Bengals seems to be a bigger issue each day leading up to the Bengals/Steelers first game...

Kroft was great for a rookie in both blocking and pass catching. More first team snaps only helps him.

Agree!  And I would also hope Hewitt steps up.  He will be a checkdown target for sure.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 10:13 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Agree!  And I would also hope Hewitt steps up.  He will be a checkdown target for sure.

Hopefully, Hewitt is targeting some Steeler defenders with some devastating blocks, like he is known for.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2016, 10:17 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Steelers worry me.

Green is a little better of a pass catcher but not near the complete TE especially as a blocker where Miller was
exceptional and Green is weak. You cannot pass every play especially to the TE if the Defense has good cover
players and we added Dansby for this very reason.

Brown is great and Ben is good but Bell is always injured and Deangelo will not be good forever.

Never can count them out but the Bengals are definately the most complete team in the Division.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2016, 10:13 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Agree!  And I would also hope Hewitt steps up.  He will be a checkdown target for sure.

We are definately going to need Kroft and Hewitt to show up with Eifert out.

It would be pretty unrealistic to think the Bengals won't have atleast some growing pains with Lafell and company.

But i bet we can be just as good of a passing team as last year once we get the kinks out and a better running team
with Ogbuehi at RT. But he will need to get his feet wet too before he becomes that great talent most think he could be.

(07-21-2016, 10:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hopefully, Hewitt is targeting some Steeler defenders with some devastating blocks, like he is known for.

Would love that. Lay them out Thor.
Reply/Quote
it wont be a weak division and Ravens will have a better year
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2016, 05:16 AM)IsaacCurtis Wrote: it wont be a weak division and Ravens will have a better year

Better is relative to how many wins for the Ravens ?  im thinking 7-9, I actually think the Browns will improve their record with the most wins from 2015 than any other team in the division.  I see the Browns winning 6/7 games, they won 3 last year.  i see Ravens winning 7/8 games, they won 5 last year. 
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2016, 09:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Better is relative to how many wins for the Ravens ?  im thinking 7-9, I actually think the Browns will improve their record with the most wins from 2015 than any other team in the division.  I see the Browns winning 6/7 games, they won 3 last year.  i see Ravens winning 7/8 games, they won 5 last year. 

What makes you think this of the Browns Essex?

They have RG3 who has been a bust and i guess they have some weapons on Offense with Barnidge and Coleman
but they lost one of their best OL. RG3 has never been too good under pressure and he gets hurt often, this is not a
good sign for their Offense.

Plus they lost their best cover backer, we got him. They lost more guys as well that were decent for them.

Not saying what you are saying is not possible, it just seems the Browns are rebuilding with Hue right now.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2016, 12:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What makes you think this of the Browns Essex?

They have RG3 who has been a bust and i guess they have some weapons on Offense with Barnidge and Coleman
but they lost one of their best OL. RG3 has never been too good under pressure and he gets hurt often, this is not a
good sign for their Offense.

Plus they lost their best cover backer, we got him. They lost more guys as well that were decent for them.

Not saying what you are saying is not possible, it just seems the Browns are rebuilding with Hue right now.

Last year for the organization was a mess with Johnny etc.. I just think Hue will give them stability and they will settle on RG3 on a QB for the season, not saying RG3 will be a savior but Hue knows it is important to be stable at that position, with Gordon back I think their offense will improve enough to compete a bit better, they also have the best schedule on paper of anyone in the North.. Remember i am not saying they are going from 3 wins to 10 wins.. but 6 maybe 7 wins is possible but still a losing season.
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2016, 01:40 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Last year for the organization was a mess with Johnny etc.. I just think Hue will give them stability and they will settle on RG3 on a QB for the season, not saying RG3 will be a savior but Hue knows it is important to be stable at that position, with Gordon back I think their offense will improve enough to compete a bit better, they also have the best schedule on paper of anyone in the North.. Remember i am not saying they are going from 3 wins to 10 wins.. but 6 maybe 7 wins is possible but still a losing season.

Could be correct. Especially with Hue giving them a little stability. They have needed this forever, the question is
will they stay with Hue long enough to see the fruits of that stability is my biggest question. Having Gordon back
could be big if he can stop being such a dumbass. I really like Corey Coleman, very explosive playmaker.

If all three of their main weapons can stay together with RG3 and the OL can give him some time who knows?
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2016, 12:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Saw this question posed in a JN thread, and thought it would be interesting to get the opinions and perspective from fans of all teams in the division.

So let me ask;  Do you feel like the division will be stronger or weaker this season, and how do you feel your respective team will do this year?

NO.....as usual the AFC North will be one of the hardest divisions in the NFL. ...At the top you have the Steelers, yes, the Steelers because they won in play-offs and we never do.  ...Of course you have the Bengals who have had 5 straight play-off seasons. Most of that team is back and the hope is the 2011 draft picks to now are going to reach their veteran age and full potential and go Super Bowl.....Then you have a Baltimore Super Bowl team that got old, but has added the needed youth to be one tough game for any team to play.....Then add Hue Jackson now at Cleveland. Hue will surprise people how fast he turns the Browns around.  They will be no easy team to play in 2016. Hue with his wide open offense but pounding the rock running. RG3 gives Hue the perfect weapon for his wide open offense as does Pryor. These guys can run, pass, throw, and Hue Jackson as Bengal fans know will have some wild plays that no defense has ever seen before. Hue loves that split O Line for wide screen passes. I didn't think much of it in Cincy, but he may just have some players to run it in Cleveland. He knows the AFC North teams pretty good now, and their weaknesses.

No, as usual the Bengals are in what has historically been one of the hardest, hard hitting divisions in football.  You play the Steelers twice a year, you better strap that chin strap on tight.  The Bengals defense can flat out hit also. That ain't touch football the Ravens and Browns will be laying on people. After teams play any of these 4, they will be pretty stoved up, hardly able to move, ready for that whirlpool.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote