Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the Bengals and Rams have a joint practice?
Will the Bengals and Rams have a joint practice?

I am guessing no, especially since we play them early in the season and because of the nasty incident at the last joint practice.
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
No
They don’t play the Rams in the preseason and that’s the only time teams do joint practices.
No one does joint practices during the season before playing them. That would be stupid/crazy.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully no joint practices. I'd rather get the oline some preseason reps over joint practices. I don't think they help and things just get too physical.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 07:59 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Hopefully no joint practices. I'd rather get the oline some preseason reps over joint practices. I don't think they help and things just get too physical.

I can't agree with you on that.  With the reduction to 3 preseason games, those joint practices are vital for evaluating some of the back of the roster and practice squad guys on the team.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not the Rams, but don't be shocked if they do one with the Packers. Zac and LeFleur worked together in LA. Matt LeFleur's brother Mike is the current OC for the Rams

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 08:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can't agree with you on that.  With the reduction to 3 preseason games, those joint practices are vital for evaluating some of the back of the roster and practice squad guys on the team.

Agree, would like a joint practice with some team that doesn't hate us like the Rams did when AD went all ape shit...

(05-12-2023, 08:17 PM)pally Wrote: Not the Rams, but don't be shocked if they do one with the Packers.  Zac and LeFleur worked together in LA.  Matt LeFleur's brother Mike is the current OC for the Rams

Sounds good to me, both teams respect each other and it would benefit to play someone besides our own team in the PS.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 08:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agree, would like a joint practice with some team that doesn't hate us like the Rams did when AD went all ape shit...

Sounds good to me, both teams respect each other and it would benefit to play someone besides our own team in the PS.

We thought that last year about the Rams before Aaron Donald went double helmet

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
No, definitely not with the Rams given past experience. As far as anything in preseason, imho joint practices are always a bad idea as it always seems someone has something to prove.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 08:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I can't agree with you on that.  With the reduction to 3 preseason games, those joint practices are vital for evaluating some of the back of the roster and practice squad guys on the team.

If the trend continues of not playing starters in the preseason. It seems like 3 games would still be plenty of time to evaluate. Just not sure the reward out ways the risk.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 07:49 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: No
They don’t play the Rams in the preseason and that’s the only time teams do joint practices.
No one does joint practices during the season before playing them. That would be stupid/crazy.

Who said anything about joint practices during the season??? Are you smoking a joint?  Mellow
Reply/Quote
From 2010 to 2021 are the teams that had joint practices.

- New York Giants vs. New England Patriots (Host: New England Patriots)
- Denver Broncos vs. Dallas Cowboys (Host: Dallas Cowboys)

- New Orleans Saints vs. New England Patriots (Host: New England Patriots)
- New York Jets vs. Houston Texans (Host: Houston Texans)
- Atlanta Falcons vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (Host: Jacksonville Jaguars)

- New England Patriots vs. New Orleans Saints (Host: New England Patriots)
- Carolina Panthers vs. Miami Dolphins (Host: Carolina Panthers)
- New York Jets vs. Cincinnati Bengals (Host: Cincinnati Bengals)
- Washington Football Team vs. Buffalo Bills (Host: Buffalo Bills)

- Cincinnati Bengals vs. Atlanta Falcons (Host: Atlanta Falcons)
- New York Giants vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (Host: Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Kansas City Chiefs vs. Minnesota Vikings (Host: Minnesota Vikings)

- New England Patriots vs. Washington Football Team (Host: Washington Football Team)
- Dallas Cowboys vs. Oakland Raiders (Host: Dallas Cowboys)
- Denver Broncos vs. Houston Texans (Host: Denver Broncos)

- New England Patriots vs. New Orleans Saints (Host: New England Patriots)
- Dallas Cowboys vs. St. Louis Rams (Host: St. Louis Rams)
- Green Bay Packers vs. Pittsburgh Steelers (Host: Pittsburgh Steelers)

- Arizona Cardinals vs. San Diego Chargers (Host: San Diego Chargers)
- Houston Texans vs. New Orleans Saints (Host: Houston Texans)
- Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Host: Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots (Host: New England Patriots)
- Denver Broncos vs. San Francisco 49ers (Host: San Francisco 49ers)
- Philadelphia Eagles vs. Miami Dolphins (Host: Miami Dolphins)

- Chicago Bears vs. Denver Broncos (Host: Denver Broncos)
- Indianapolis Colts vs. Baltimore Ravens (Host: Baltimore Ravens)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Tennessee Titans (Host: Tennessee Titans)

- New England Patriots vs. Detroit Lions (Host: Detroit Lions)
- San Francisco 49ers vs. Denver Broncos (Host: Denver Broncos)
- Houston Texans vs. Green Bay Packers (Host: Green Bay Packers)
- Los Angeles Chargers vs. New Orleans Saints (Host: Los Angeles Chargers)
- Seattle Seahawks vs. Minnesota Vikings (Host: Minnesota Vikings)

2020 (no joint practices were held due to COVID-19 pandemic)

- New England Patriots vs. Philadelphia Eagles (Host: Philadelphia Eagles)
- Indianapolis Colts vs. Carolina Panthers (Host: Carolina Panthers)
- Miami Dolphins vs. Atlanta Falcons (Host: Miami Dolphins)
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 09:14 PM)pally Wrote: We thought that last year about the Rams before Aaron Donald went double helmet

I don't know about that. Think there was a lot of tension after our close Super Bowl loss to them. It could of went either way in that game
and they knew it. The bad call on Logan Wilson and Spain not blocking AD when it mattered most were the culprits. We were tense, they 
were tense and AD just lost it.

Not even in the same universe as the Green Bay Packers where the games are always fun and respectful.

Us playing the Rams last year in a joint practice is like us playing the Chiefs in a joint practice this year. Would be a bad idea.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2023, 02:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't know about that. Think there was a lot of tension after our close Super Bowl loss to them. It could of went either way in that game
and they knew it. The bad call on Logan Wilson and Spain not blocking AD when it mattered most were the culprits. We were tense, they 
were tense and AD just lost it.

Not even in the same universe as the Green Bay Packers where the games are always fun and respectful.

Us playing the Rams last year in a joint practice is like us playing the Chiefs in a joint practice this year. Would be a bad idea.

I remember Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan of the Jets were talking about a Joint Practice since they were friends, but if I remember correctly the players from one of the teams or both teams made it known that they were not interested because of the rivalry.  Cry

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/08/13/joint-practice-work/14036083/

"When the preseason schedule came out, the initial thought when scouting a team to find the right fit for joint practices was former co-workers and friends Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan, coach of the New York Jets.
The two won a Super Bowl together on the defensive staff of the Ravens in 2000. Lewis was the defensive coordinator and Ryan the defensive line coach.
Lewis thought an arrangement was near to bring New York in a few days early before Saturday's preseason game, but the logistics couldn't be arranged.
"Yeah, Rex and I were pretty close," Lewis said. "It just kind of fell apart at the last second. Obviously, Rex and I have worked together, and are good friends and a lot of our coaches have worked with their coaches. Mark (Carrier) was a part of their staff and Marty Mornhinweg and I have been friends for a long time. I thought it would be a good relationship where our coaches will know their coaches enough, and we could get it done and do that but it kind of fell apart at the end."
The Bengals were thrilled with the joint practice experience last year when they took part in two sessions against the Falcons before a game in Atlanta. Should the NFL trim the preseason in the future – a topic that has been discussed and favored by the commissioner – more joint practices and scrimmages likely would be a part of the slate.
Bengals union representative Andrew Whitworth sees a significant benefit in those, even though he doesn't believe the league will trim the preseason games in the immediate future.
"It's something teams can do and avoid the preseason games," Bengals union representative Andrew Whitworth said. "It gives an opportunity to put the guys in there in a scrimmage that you want to see in the situations you want to see them in. … Sometimes scrimmages, in some cases, teams can be mature enough to handle it and it can beneficial."
POLLAK INSERTED AT CENTER: The week after the preseason opener saw a move many were wondering about regarding the center position. Veteran Mike Pollak began working with the second team behind rookie starter Russell Bodine.
Pollak, who started games at both guard positions last year, played center in college and was a backup at the position at Indianapolis. Before the Bengals drafted Bodine in the fourth round, Pollak led the list of candidates to replace released starter Kyle Cook.
He spent the first two weeks of camp easing his way back from a knee injury. Pollak slipped over in to the competition at center with his health no longer a major issue.
"They wanted to see me move around and make sure I was healthy before they started moving me (on the line)," Pollak said. "I'm working on it each day and feeling better each day. I still don't know what the overall plan is, but all I can do is control what I can do."
The seven-year veteran says he could care less where he ends up. At 29 years old, those concerns become smaller.
"Whatever gets me in a role to get on the field," he said. "I just want to play where I can. I'm later in my career. I know my days are numbered. As long as I can get in there, that's what I care about."
DALTON EXPECTATIONS: Andy Dalton took part in one series for eight plays in the preseason opener at Kansas City. His time on the field should increase in the second week.
Marvin Lewis anticipated anywhere from 15-25 snaps for Dalton, depending on the situation. Each of the past two preseasons, Dalton stayed in for three series and a snap count in the low 20s for the second game.
"We'll see how the game goes and how we are when we put the team together on Saturday to see who's out there and who's suited up and who's not," Lewis said. "That will determine how much and when to take him out."
GREAT SCOTT: Just when the Bengals added an extra quarterback off the street in quarterback Tyler Wilson, they lost one of the two who've been in camp during Wednesday's practice.
With Jason Campbell out nursing an elbow injury, Saturday's backup Matt Scott sat out the second half of practice with his shoulder wrapped. Coaches didn't have word on what occurred with Scott, but it could add to the challenge against the Jets. The team will be unlikely to expand starter Andy Dalton's role and that could mean up to three quarters of work for newbie Wilson.
Lewis doesn't believe that will be necessary. He said Scott's shoulder was just sore and the quarterback will be fine to play this weekend.
NEWHOUSE AND WRIGHT DINGED: Marshall Newhouse left Tuesday's practice on a cart, but the injury didn't seem as serious as that would insinuate.
Marvin Lewis said Newhouse had a sore shoulder, but wouldn't elaborate further on any time frame for his possible return.
Also, receiver James Wright came down favoring his left knee after a catch during a one-on-one drill and didn't return. He stood on the sideline and walked without noticeable pain, but there was no word on what happened to the seventh-round pick."
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2023, 03:23 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: I remember Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan of the Jets were talking about a Joint Practice since they were friends, but if I remember correctly the players from one of the teams or both teams made it known that they were not interested because of the rivalry.  Cry

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/08/13/joint-practice-work/14036083/

"When the preseason schedule came out, the initial thought when scouting a team to find the right fit for joint practices was former co-workers and friends Marvin Lewis and Rex Ryan, coach of the New York Jets.
The two won a Super Bowl together on the defensive staff of the Ravens in 2000. Lewis was the defensive coordinator and Ryan the defensive line coach.
Lewis thought an arrangement was near to bring New York in a few days early before Saturday's preseason game, but the logistics couldn't be arranged.
"Yeah, Rex and I were pretty close," Lewis said. "It just kind of fell apart at the last second. Obviously, Rex and I have worked together, and are good friends and a lot of our coaches have worked with their coaches. Mark (Carrier) was a part of their staff and Marty Mornhinweg and I have been friends for a long time. I thought it would be a good relationship where our coaches will know their coaches enough, and we could get it done and do that but it kind of fell apart at the end."
The Bengals were thrilled with the joint practice experience last year when they took part in two sessions against the Falcons before a game in Atlanta. Should the NFL trim the preseason in the future – a topic that has been discussed and favored by the commissioner – more joint practices and scrimmages likely would be a part of the slate.
Bengals union representative Andrew Whitworth sees a significant benefit in those, even though he doesn't believe the league will trim the preseason games in the immediate future.
"It's something teams can do and avoid the preseason games," Bengals union representative Andrew Whitworth said. "It gives an opportunity to put the guys in there in a scrimmage that you want to see in the situations you want to see them in. … Sometimes scrimmages, in some cases, teams can be mature enough to handle it and it can beneficial."
POLLAK INSERTED AT CENTER: The week after the preseason opener saw a move many were wondering about regarding the center position. Veteran Mike Pollak began working with the second team behind rookie starter Russell Bodine.
Pollak, who started games at both guard positions last year, played center in college and was a backup at the position at Indianapolis. Before the Bengals drafted Bodine in the fourth round, Pollak led the list of candidates to replace released starter Kyle Cook.
He spent the first two weeks of camp easing his way back from a knee injury. Pollak slipped over in to the competition at center with his health no longer a major issue.
"They wanted to see me move around and make sure I was healthy before they started moving me (on the line)," Pollak said. "I'm working on it each day and feeling better each day. I still don't know what the overall plan is, but all I can do is control what I can do."
The seven-year veteran says he could care less where he ends up. At 29 years old, those concerns become smaller.
"Whatever gets me in a role to get on the field," he said. "I just want to play where I can. I'm later in my career. I know my days are numbered. As long as I can get in there, that's what I care about."
DALTON EXPECTATIONS: Andy Dalton took part in one series for eight plays in the preseason opener at Kansas City. His time on the field should increase in the second week.
Marvin Lewis anticipated anywhere from 15-25 snaps for Dalton, depending on the situation. Each of the past two preseasons, Dalton stayed in for three series and a snap count in the low 20s for the second game.
"We'll see how the game goes and how we are when we put the team together on Saturday to see who's out there and who's suited up and who's not," Lewis said. "That will determine how much and when to take him out."
GREAT SCOTT: Just when the Bengals added an extra quarterback off the street in quarterback Tyler Wilson, they lost one of the two who've been in camp during Wednesday's practice.
With Jason Campbell out nursing an elbow injury, Saturday's backup Matt Scott sat out the second half of practice with his shoulder wrapped. Coaches didn't have word on what occurred with Scott, but it could add to the challenge against the Jets. The team will be unlikely to expand starter Andy Dalton's role and that could mean up to three quarters of work for newbie Wilson.
Lewis doesn't believe that will be necessary. He said Scott's shoulder was just sore and the quarterback will be fine to play this weekend.
NEWHOUSE AND WRIGHT DINGED: Marshall Newhouse left Tuesday's practice on a cart, but the injury didn't seem as serious as that would insinuate.
Marvin Lewis said Newhouse had a sore shoulder, but wouldn't elaborate further on any time frame for his possible return.
Also, receiver James Wright came down favoring his left knee after a catch during a one-on-one drill and didn't return. He stood on the sideline and walked without noticeable pain, but there was no word on what happened to the seventh-round pick."

Good stuff BengalYankee. Yes sir, just because the HC's are friends doesn't make the players friends as we saw in our joint practice 
with the Rams last year. Didn't matter that Zac Taylor and Sean McVay are buds. If we have a joint practice with a team it better be 
with someone we don't play often like we did with the Falcons back in the day.

Shouldn't play against a team we just played in a highly competitive Super Bowl or a Playoff game or against a division rival.

I could see a joint practice with the Commanders before the last PS game.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2023, 03:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good stuff BengalYankee. Yes sir, just because the HC's are friends doesn't make the players friends as we saw in our joint practice 
with the Rams last year. Didn't matter that Zac Taylor and Sean McVay are buds. If we have a joint practice with a team it better be 
with someone we don't play often like we did with the Falcons back in the day.

Shouldn't play against a team we just played in a highly competitive Super Bowl or a Playoff game or against a division rival.

I could see a joint practice with the Commanders before the last PS game.

You are 100% correct. Although I think NFL teams are not allowed to play against Divisional rivals in the pre-season.

Also, they also made a law that NFL teams will no longer play against CFL teams[exhibition] as they did multiple times in the past. 

Also, there were six exhibition games between NFL and CFL teams between 1950 and 1961. The first game was played on August 12, 1950, and the last game was played on August 5, 1961. The NFL teams won all six games.

There was also one exhibition game between an AFL team and a CFL team in 1961. The Buffalo Bills defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 38-21.

These games were played in Canada, and the CFL teams were allowed to use 12 players on defense, while the NFL teams were only allowed to use 11. This gave the CFL teams a slight advantage, but the NFL teams were still able to win all of the games.
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 07:06 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Will the Bengals and Rams have a joint practice?

I am guessing no, especially since we play them early in the season and because of the nasty incident at the last joint practice.

Only if in California where joints are legal. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2023, 07:59 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Hopefully no joint practices. I'd rather get the oline some preseason reps over joint practices. I don't think they help and things just get too physical.

The linemen have come out and plainly said they don't get any advantage playing in preseason games. They get the most work in practice and in scrimmages. People put way too much weight on preseason games.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2023, 12:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The linemen have come out and plainly said they don't get any advantage playing in preseason games. They get the most work in practice and in scrimmages. People put way too much weight on preseason games.

I do feel like preseason games are a scrimmage. But I was just merely saying I would prefer having starters play some in the preseason over a joint practice. If they do neither one I'm completely fine with that route.
Reply/Quote
The problem with fans is, if they don't play in the pre-season and don't come out and dominate day 1, then the coaches screwed up by not playing them in the pre-season. On the other hand, if the coaches decide the starters need some work and we lose one or two starting linemen for the season to knee injuries, then the coaches screwed up by playing them in the preseason. I, for one, would rather them get the work in a controllable environment like a practice. They all know how to play their positions, all the have to work on is getting their timing together and snap counts right. They can do that without risking preseason injury.
Reply/Quote
Bengals held joint practices with the Giants. Not the Jets.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote