Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Don't Need To Trade Up and Why
Watching Mike and Mike and the ex football player Mike who knows football says this is the deepest pool of Defensive talent in years. That nobody needing defense has to move up. Stay where you are and it will come to you.

So tonight I hope Cleveland is stupid enough to take another QB as they do every year, even though there is not a QB worthy of top 10 selection. I hope this causes a run on QB's not worthy of top 10 selection. I hope teams go for the RB's and TE and WR before Bengals pick at 9. The more teams ahead of us draft offense, the more these great defensive players on the board slip to pick 9. Now if the LSU RB the Bengals want slips to 9, I can see that. I do not see TE or WR in this draft in round one for Bengals as a smart move. Not with this years defensive players in the draft.

So per this ex football player, as teams draft offense these top defensive players are going to be there. I see the Bengals getting 2 great defensive players at pick 9 and pick 41 easy. Adding top talent to Atkins, Dunlap, Burfict and our secondary makes this a play-off WIN defense. There will be D Linemen, Linebackers, Safeties that are better than most NFL Draft years. It is a Defense loaded draft. Do not fight that, go with it. Build the best defense in the NFL, and you won't be sorry. Defense wins Super Bowls. With our pick in one, two and three and even four we should be able to stay where we are and grab great D talent and add some offensive help as well in the first 4 rounds. I hope Cleveland is stupid enough to take QB and a few other teams go offense and let this great Defensive pool of talent slide to us at 9 and even 41.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I am always against trading up. The whole draft is a crap shoot. Even the very top picks. Most people don't want to admit it because they think they can pick the best prospects, but even the very best teams in the league have high draft picks that flop.

The best way to increase your chances of getting a good player is to have as many picks as possible. Of course I am not suggesting we trade the number 9 pick for a bunch of 7th round picks, but the very top picks of the draft are grossly over valued. My strategy would be get as many picks as possible in the first three rounds,
Reply/Quote
In my opinion the Bengals need to go heavy on offense in this draft. I want Corey Davis and Joe Mixon's punk ass. There are good defensive players in the middle rounds.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 02:07 PM)kevin Wrote: Watching Mike and Mike and the ex football player Mike who knows football says this is the deepest pool of Defensive talent in years. That nobody needing defense has to move up. Stay where you are and it will come to you.  

So tonight I hope Cleveland is stupid enough to take another QB as they do every year, even though there is not a QB worthy of top 10 selection.  I hope this causes a run on QB's not worthy of top 10 selection. I hope teams go for the RB's and TE and WR  before Bengals pick at 9.  The more teams ahead of us draft offense, the more these great defensive players on the board slip to pick 9.  Now if the LSU RB the Bengals want slips to 9, I can see that.  I do not see TE or WR in this draft in round one for Bengals as a smart move.  Not with this years defensive players in the draft.

So per this ex football player, as teams draft offense these top defensive players are going to be there.  I see the Bengals getting 2 great defensive players at pick 9 and pick 41 easy.  Adding top talent to Atkins, Dunlap, Burfict and our secondary makes this a play-off WIN defense.   There will be D Linemen, Linebackers, Safeties that are better than most NFL Draft years.   It is a Defense loaded draft. Do not fight that, go with it.  Build the best defense in the NFL, and you won't be sorry.  Defense wins Super Bowls. With our pick in one, two and three and even four we should be able to stay where we are and grab great D talent and add some offensive help as well in the first 4 rounds.  I hope Cleveland is stupid enough to take QB and a few other teams go offense and let this great Defensive pool of talent slide to us at 9 and even 41.

a defensive talent will be there at 9  but we have enough picks that not all will make the team maybe not even the PS  so do you use some of those to get some higher selections day 2 and 3? or make  a splash round 1.

With it being a deep defensive draft I could see them going Offense early if they think the field really drops off after a few players knowning talent on the D side will slide to day 2 and 3

seeing more mocks with Allen
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 02:29 PM)jason Wrote: In my opinion the Bengals need to go heavy on offense in this draft. I want Corey Davis and Joe Mixon's punk ass. There are good defensive players in the middle rounds.

but there are better defensive players.  I'll take Mike Golic's word on that because he was a good defensive player and knows defense.  If he says this is the strongest defensive draft in years, it is probably true. Now next year may be a strong offensive draft in 2018.  The defense is on the boards and Bengals have every chance to come away with a Super Bowl Defense.   If we take Davis or Mixon at 9, we really don't understand the draft.  I can only see Mixon if we trade way back, but why do that when a top DE or DT or LB may be sitting there at pick 9. ...If Browns start this thing taking a QB, that right there turns our pick 9 into pick 8. If another team takes a QB, our 9 becomes a 7. I hope many offensive players go early so we can dip into the top 5 that are defensive players. No way we get Myles Garrett at 9, but if teams go offense, we could get a defensive player we never dreamed of getting at 9. Imagine a top DE or DT better than most drafts added to Atkins and Dunlap.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 02:44 PM)kevin Wrote: but there are better defensive players.  I'll take Mike Golic's word on that because he was a good defensive player and knows defense.  If he says this is the strongest defensive draft in years, it is probably true. Now next year may be a strong offensive draft in 2018.  The defense is on the boards and Bengals have every chance to come away with a Super Bowl Defense.   If we take Davis or Mixon at 9, we really don't understand the draft.  I can only see Mixon if we trade way back, but why do that when a top DE or DT or LB may be sitting there at pick 9. ...If Browns start this thing taking a QB, that right there turns our pick 9 into pick 8. If another team takes a QB, our 9 becomes a 7.    I hope many offensive players go early so we can dip into the top 5 that are defensive players.

Overall the team needs offensive talent but a RB could be had on Friday.   WR too especially with who we already have we can spent a year developing a 3rd round WR.   But depth is shaky on defense as well.

As long as they don't reach to far for any pick ill be happy offense or defense.
Reply/Quote
I wouldnt mind OJ Howard at #9. Mixon in the 2nd and OT Dan Skipper in the 4th. maybe the LSU center? i like him more than the buckeyes center personally.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 02:56 PM)magikod Wrote: I wouldnt mind OJ Howard at #9. Mixon in the 2nd and OT Dan Skipper in the 4th. maybe the LSU center? i like him more than the buckeyes center personally.

cool thing about the buckeye center though is I think he only played 1 year at center and still one the remmington.    But he can play OG as well  but likely will be select before our 2nd pick if I were to gess...

I wouldn't mind the first 2 depending on who else was on the board at the time.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 03:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: cool thing about the buckeye center though is I think he only played 1 year at center and still one the remmington.    But he can play OG as well  but likely will be select before our 2nd pick if I were to gess...

I wouldn't mind the first 2 depending on who else was on the board at the time.

yah true, i was watching film on the LSU center i forget his name now but he looked pretty darn good against the alabama defense. the rest of there line was shit but he did pretty well against the elite d of alabama. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I'm down with not trading up into the 1st Round.

I would be cool with us bundling some of our later picks to get a 2nd 2nd Round pick though.
Reply/Quote
Fingers crossed that at least one QB goes before the 9th pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I could see staying pat at #9 (John Ross! Corey Davis! OJ Howard! Leonard Fournette! offensive weapon here please.), but then trading into the end of round 1 (Joe Mixon!).
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am always against trading up.  The whole draft is a crap shoot.  Even the very top picks.  Most people don't want to admit it because they think they can pick the best prospects, but even the very best teams in the league have high draft picks that flop.

The best way to increase your chances of getting a good player is to have as many picks as possible.  Of course I am not suggesting we trade the number 9 pick for a bunch of 7th round picks, but the very top picks of the draft are grossly over valued.  My strategy would be get as many picks as possible in the first three rounds,

This is very astute of you.  This gives you more of a competitive nature during training camp and guys really trying to keep a position.  You should be in the front office. 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 02:37 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: With it being a deep defensive draft I could see them going Offense early if they think the field really drops off after a few players knowning talent on the D side will slide to day 2 and 3

This is what I am thinking also.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 02:29 PM)jason Wrote: In my opinion the Bengals need to go heavy on offense in this draft. I want Corey Davis and Joe Mixon's punk ass. There are good defensive players in the middle rounds.

This would be a crazy combo for sure, I would like to see nothing but defense lol.  That should be our strategy this year nothing but offense and then next year I don't care if we have Snoopy running the huddle, nothing but defense next year.  

That should take care of both sides of the ball in 2 years time.  And then perhaps half and half it through out until one side of the ball is seeing much more drag.  Probably Offense sense we went offense this year hahaa.. 
Reply/Quote
I hate mixon the person but he would be a beast as our RB .
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 03:20 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Fingers crossed that at least one QB goes before the 9th pick.

College QBs are like crack to NFL teams.  They just can't help themselves.

I pretty much guarantee at least 1 QB will go in the first 8 picks.  Aqnd I would not be surprised to see 2.
Reply/Quote
Only way I would trade up if I were the Bengals is if the Browns were somehow stupid enough to go Trubisky 1st overall.

I would then trade up to #2 with some kind of package involving the 9th overall and McCarron (and probably a 2018 2nd rounder) to the 49ers, and then sprint to turn in a card with Myles Garrett on it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 02:44 PM)kevin Wrote: but there are better defensive players.  I'll take Mike Golic's word on that because he was a good defensive player and knows defense.  If he says this is the strongest defensive draft in years, it is probably true. Now next year may be a strong offensive draft in 2018.  The defense is on the boards and Bengals have every chance to come away with a Super Bowl Defense.   If we take Davis or Mixon at 9, we really don't understand the draft.  I can only see Mixon if we trade way back, but why do that when a top DE or DT or LB may be sitting there at pick 9. ...If Browns start this thing taking a QB, that right there turns our pick 9 into pick 8. If another team takes a QB, our 9 becomes a 7.    I hope many offensive players go early so we can dip into the top 5 that are defensive players. No way we get Myles Garrett at 9, but if teams go offense, we could get a defensive player we never dreamed of getting at 9.  Imagine a top DE or DT better than most drafts added to Atkins and Dunlap.
It's a great defensive draft because of all the defensive talent after the first round, many of whom are close in talent to the first rounders.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
There's a lot of steam about Deshaun Watson going to the Chargers in front of us. If that happens, open up shop and welcome all comers for Trubisky or Mahomes.
Reply/Quote