Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could Jake Fisher be Left Tackle fall back Plan Long term if Cedric fails
(03-20-2017, 12:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: How can Fisher be the backup LT when he's the starting RT? I'd be more inclined to agree if they weren't set on playing Andre at RG.

The starting front is supposed to be Ogbuehi-Boling-Bodine-Andre-Fisher. Now if Fisher were to come in to replace Ogbuehi, the line would be:

Fisher-Boling-Bodine-Andre-Winston? Or Fisher-Boling-Bodine-Westerman-Andre? These are all some pretty ugly looking lines. Sheesh.

[Image: 77775-I-just-threw-up-in-my-mouth-a-r4R3.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I still can't wrap my arms around drafting a OT before round 3 (Unless we trade McCarron for a 2nd round pick). Back to back DE's would be nice, one of the top C's, a deep threat WR, a CB, LB, and TE were all higher on my list before this offseason. I did kind of want a FS but know they've already paid their safety's so one high wasn't likely going to happen. If we miss on a DE in round 1 (likely unless we reach for Taco)then when are we going to get a DE if we go OT in round 2? In round 3?! Shame to have missed out on all the top defensive talent.

They want the OT's to sink or swim, even if it means a loss season. We might as well not draft a OT early in this weak draft class, and stick to the script.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 01:02 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Not personally, no. He really doesn't have the frame or experience playing the left side, so I would much rather keep him on the right or even interior.

Fisher and Wit are almost identical frame wise.  A very successful 1.5 years at LT within Oregon is a great starting point.  Will need to grow at LT (strength and technique) in the NFL.  It will only come with reps.

Look at what happened when he was giving the starting job at RT?  Almost instant improvement over Ced.  Can you imagine what would have happened if he'd had 6-8 more games to settle in at RT?  He's been willing to bust it at any position when asked to help the team however he can.  That even included center last year in practice.  That's a tough challenge at any level let alone the NFL.  Not sure why the staff continues to invest in Ced with little to no change in results?

You know what they say about the definition of insanity is...
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 12:45 PM)depthchart Wrote: I get your point of having guys stick to learning one position. Cedric's problems are hampering that. So far Fisher hasn't played any Left tackle. I think this season will be Cedric's last chance to hold down the left tackle job. They are giving him every opportunity possible. Only if Cedric fails would Jake Fisher make the move to left tackle. So far the Bengals have brought in 2 right tackles that could also play guard in Andre Smith and Eric Winston. If Taylor Moton is who they Draft fairly early that would add another RT/Guard. Seems to me that Fisher is the long term left tackle option if Cedric fails almost by default due to the over supply of right tackles. This is assuming they don't Draft a pure left tackle high or bring in a long term Free agent answer. Seems like the logical conclusion to me based on what the Bengals are doing and not doing with the O-line so far. Jake Fisher as the fall back left tackle option plan long term and only if Cedric fails.
But the coaches won't make that determination until game 12. Sad
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 03:33 PM)TexasT Wrote: Fisher and Wit are almost identical frame wise.  A very successful 1.5 years at LT within Oregon is a great starting point.  Will need to grow at LT (strength and technique) in the NFL.  It will only come with reps.

Look at what happened when he was giving the starting job at RT?  Almost instant improvement over Ced.  Can you imagine what would have happened if he'd had 6-8 more games to settle in at RT?  He's been willing to bust it at any position when asked to help the team however he can.  That even included center last year in practice.  That's a tough challenge at any level let alone the NFL.  Not sure why the staff continues to invest in Ced with little to no change in results?

You know what they say about the definition of insanity is...

Great first post TexasT.

I guess it is pretty unfair to judge Fisher after all he was asked to do.

Sure put a lot on his plate in his first two years..
Reply/Quote
Yeah, really tough mentally on a player that's busting it and stands ready on the sideline having to watch that line play last year. Game after game! I believe this will be a break out year for Fish. Let's see how things gel on the left side and what staff decisions transpire.
Reply/Quote
Not to bash Casserly but I kind of figured that was a given when we took 2 tackles in the first 2 rounds in that draft.

Nothing is a guarantee when it comes to draft prospects so why wouldn't we give our 2nd round tackles a shot at LT if the first one fails?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 07:23 PM)Derrick Wrote: But the coaches won't make that determination until game 12. Sad

Let's hope not or the line coach has got to go!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 11:19 AM)TexasT Wrote: Yeah, really tough mentally on a player that's busting it and stands ready on the sideline having to watch that line play last year.  Game after game!  I believe this will be a break out year for Fish.  Let's see how things gel on the left side and what staff decisions transpire.

I think you could be correct.

I like Fisher, if we could just let him settle in at one position on the line he might be really good.

(03-22-2017, 11:55 AM)TexasT Wrote: Let's hope not or the line coach has got to go!

He should of been gone after last year when he waited to bench Og till week 12...

Hopefully this is his last year and once again we are just one year too late on making the right decision.

Time for some freshness coaching up our O-line, i think this would help this team more than anything.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2017, 07:23 PM)Derrick Wrote: But the coaches won't make that determination until game 12. Sad

Handling this Cedric Ogbuehi situation is by far the most Glaring issue they face and I expect a much shorter Leash in terms of how many games they let Cedric play badly in this year. Maybe 4 to 6 instead of 12. They already benched him last season then reshuffled him to Left tackle. In a few months we should be able to see their Full Plan in terms of Draft choices and likely a Free Agent backup to Cedric. They have a Full offseason to PLAN for this, so No Excuses.

Key points: 
1. A 24 year old 6 foot 5 inch tackle can put on 15 to 20 pounds of MUSCLE in an Offseason & Cedric may come in Serious, STRONG & READY if he wants it & works to save his reputation.

2. Do they Draft a Left tackle or Right tackle earliest in the Draft? If a very high LT, then that guy could play week 4 to 6.

3. What Veteran Free Agent Left tackle is brought in, if any? A somewhat decent 1 or 2 year older guy could still be brought in as a backup.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2017, 11:31 AM)depthchart Wrote: I quote former GM Charlie Casserly alot because of his track record and his presence on the NFL Network makes him one of the few former GM's I get to hear from. He said that being "Athletic" is the key difference maker for a guy being either a Left Tackle or a Right tackle. With the Bengals showing interest in Taylor Moton who can likely play either Guard or Right Tackle, signing Eric Winston and Andre Smith who can play Guard or Right tackle, it makes me wonder what their plan is if Cedric Ogbuyei fails. I am starting to think that longer term Plan is Jake Fisher at Left Tackle. Fisher has the size at 6 foot 6 inches tall and his Combine performance shows he has the Athleticism. (see a 2015 Combine related quote below)

"Jake Fisher scored the fastest time among offensive linemen for the three-cone drill (7.25 seconds) and twenty-yard shuttle (4.33 seconds).
Fisher is a fast-moving, Athletic lineman who will barring the unforeseen find a steady home in the NFL."

** The Bengals have used Fisher to catch passes on numerous occasions which is another sign of "Athleticism". I am starting to think that the Bengals plan is to move Fisher to Left Tackle Long term if Cedric fails. Andre Smith and Eric Winston could hold down the right side this season and then a guy like Taylor Moton could play right tackle long term. If Cedric succeeds then Moton is a Guard long term with Fisher at Right tackle.
If the Bengals don't show interest in a pure Left Tackle early in the Draft then this may be what they are thinking longer term. That Jake Fisher has the size and Athleticism to take Cedric's left tackle job if needed.

He could very well be... We for a long time had a 2nd round OT covering daltons (and palmers) blind side.    and had the 1st rounder on the RT side.

Fisher is probly being trained as a utility tackle to play which ever side needs him
Reply/Quote