Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will we follow Rams model of playing no one in the preseason
Chase being a rookie and Zac (looking back in hindsight) not fully integrating his plan we played starters in the pre season. Now that the culture is established will we follow Rams model and only play backups in the preseason.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 09:20 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Chase being a rookie and Zac (looking back in hindsight) not fully integrating his plan we played starters in the pre season. Now that the culture is established will we follow Rams model and only play backups in the preseason.

The OL probably could use some preseason games to gel.
Wouldn't have to be a lot of snaps, but probably at least half a game's worth over the course of the preseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 09:20 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Chase being a rookie and Zac (looking back in hindsight) not fully integrating his plan we played starters in the pre season. Now that the culture is established will we follow Rams model and only play backups in the preseason.

that OL has ZERO snaps together in game  they need to work
Reply/Quote
We pretty much did this last year, didn't we? If not, then it was drastically limited.

Based on how ZT runs his training camps and practices to make things have as little impact on the body as possible, I can see him dialing preseason games back even more...which isn't a bad thing IMO.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I think the practice week with the Rams will be most important for our starters. Good work will get done that week. I say rest them all (even through offseason work has been pretty easy). This includes the Oline who theoretically "need to work together" but are savvy vets for the most part and can get what they need out of practice and the week with the Rams.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
They were actually talking about this earlier today on the NFL radio (not the Bengals specifically).The line of thought were that the scrimmages with other teams were way more valuable, and that for the starters the Pre-Season has become little more than the pro bowl as far as people trying. There is talk of doing away with pre-season altogether.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 03:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They were actually talking about this earlier today on the NFL radio (not the Bengals specifically).The line of thought were that the scrimmages with other teams were way more valuable, and that for the starters the Pre-Season has become little more than the pro bowl as far as people trying. There is talk of doing away with pre-season altogether.

That will do those UDFA's and fringe roster players no Favors  and teams for that matter as they stick with the names they know

Seems These Athletes want more money but with less practice..
Reply/Quote
Trust me if their happens to be a fringe UDFA guy that performs better than expected he will make the team regardless of pre season it's just a new school way of evaluating guys
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 03:24 PM)Sled21 Wrote:  There is talk of doing away with pre-season altogether.

Not going to happen as long as they can keep charging regular season prices for pre-season tickets.

If they eliminate the pre-season then they will add more games to the regular season or playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 05:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not going to happen as long as they can keep charging regular season prices for pre-season tickets.

If they eliminate the pre-season then they will add more games to the regular season or playoffs.

Not me saying it, it was the guys on the radio. They said since we now have a 17 game schedule, there is talk around the players union of 2 bye weeks and no pre-season. One downside they pointed out was that cheap pre-season tickets are the only way some people get to go to games.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 05:46 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Not me saying it, it was the guys on the radio. They said since we now have a 17 game schedule, there is talk around the players union of 2 bye weeks and no pre-season. One downside they pointed out was that cheap pre-season tickets are the only way some people get to go to games.

No pre season and 2 bye weeks along with 18 game season 17 is such a odd number anyway
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 06:07 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: No pre season and 2 bye weeks along with 18 game season 17 is such a odd number anyway

Yeah, you would think 18 would make scheduling much easier.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 06:07 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: No pre season and 2 bye weeks along with 18 game season 17 is such a odd number anyway

(06-17-2022, 08:26 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, you would think 18 would make scheduling much easier.

This.

Back when they wer discussing expanding the regular season I predicted they would cut out 2 preseason games, add another bye to the regular season and play 18 games.  Only way I saw them expanding to 17 games was if every team played one neutral site game every year.  My suggestion was instead of giving Las Vegas its own team just have every team play one game a year there.

They will be playing 18 regular season games pretty soon.  Just expand the rosters a little and add another bye week.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 09:40 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The OL probably could use some preseason games to gel.
Wouldn't have to be a lot of snaps, but probably at least half a game's worth over the course of the preseason.

This. The OL needs to gain chemistry working together before the season starts. It will take some time.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 12:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This. The OL needs to gain chemistry working together before the season starts. It will take some time.

It may not take as much time as people think. We have all savvy vets on the oline with the exception of LG. I suspect they will be working as a unit by the end of training camp.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 12:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It may not take as much time as people think. We have all savvy vets on the oline with the exception of LG. I suspect they will be working as a unit by the end of training camp.

That is what is so awesome about this FA. We aren't relying on some unknown rookie on the OL now. You could be correct Sled.

Also guarantee Carman will be better than last year when he was playing on the right side. Looks much more comfortable at LG
just from the little we saw last season as Ocho always notes. His hand placement was a problem on the right side. 

The only question I have about Carman as always is the back injury, it isn't the player.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2022, 12:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: It may not take as much time as people think. We have all savvy vets on the oline with the exception of LG. I suspect they will be working as a unit by the end of training camp.

The OL last year had 4 veterans on it too.
Williams in his 3rd year, Hopkins, Reiff, and Spain.
They didn't gel too well right away.
Although one could probably say it wasn't that they didn't gel, they were just bad lol
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The OL will play a lot and the defense will platoon. This is a perfect team for a training camp running back to show their skills in the preseason. I do have a question about younger players wanting preseason snaps b/c they're worried about laying a turd in week one.
Reply/Quote

If they do away with the preseason entirely, agreed that a 2nd bye is immediate. I wouldn't be surprised for them to go to a 19 game season. 9 home, 9 road, 1 international. The NFL would be licking their lips at being able to schedule 16 international games each year to grow the fanbase globally, and 19 would solve the problem with maintaining a balance between road and home games if everyone had 1 international game per year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote