Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will we have the best and deepest OLine when the cold weather starts?
The final 5 games of our season before the playoffs are:

Dec 6th       @Cleveland
Dec 13th      Pittsburgh
Dec 20th     @San Fran (8:30 PM ET)
Dec 28th     @Denver    (8:30 PM ET)
Jan 3rd        Baltimore

You look at that and you see they're all outside. The warmest game might be San Francisco, but as you get into the evening there it will still be a little cold at least. I wouldn't be surprised if there is snow and ice on the ground for some of these games, not to mention possible reduced visibility (if it is actively snowing) and winds.

So. We know our rookie OTs will need time before they can really contribute to the OL. And of course our 1st Rounder Cedrick O will need time to heal up. But by December could we have one of the deepest OLs in the NFL? Offensive line domination is a large part of how we beat Denver this year. It can open up the ground game which changes many dynamics. We've got incredible talent at RB and will likely keep 4 on the roster. We've got speedy WRs who can participate on Reverses and Jet Sweeps.  Heck, I know it is kind of scary to watch, but Dalton can scramble for some yards when there is an opening as well.

I look at this schedule and think, if we're even just 6-5 coming into it, we might go 4-1 down the stretch with a good offensive line. And that should be enough for a playoff spot in what looks to be a tough year schedule-wise.

And it isn't just our rookies that I'm excited about. If you look past our very solid starting lineup (Whit, Boling, Bodine, Zeitler, Smith) you've got some very talented backups. Eric Winston has been a starter before. Trey Hopkins at Guard looked like a monster last pre-season before getting injured. Tanner H and Dan France will probably have to really step up this year or else they'll be on the PS (assuming they're eligible). About the only spot I have any question on is Center. TJ Johnson has had the time to become a good backup, but there is no way to know for sure. Even Bodine is a bit of an unknown commodity as a sophomore - he was adequate as a rookie, but improvement is crucial. If he doesn't play better than last year, that will be seen as a disappointment and weakness in the line. And our final unknown at center is Jake Smith. I'm going to guess he at least has a shot at winning the backup job. Here's a blurb about him from CBS Sports Draft Page:

Quote:STRENGTHS: What makes Smith so reliable is his consistent technique. Though not an elite athlete by any means, he's light on his feet, is a natural bender, and utilizes good hand placement to establish leverage enabling him to anchor and hold ground against much larger opponents. He keeps his feet moving and does a good job of resetting without panicking when initially knocked back, and as a run blocker is quick enough in a short area to take on sequential blockers and stay ahead of the play.

WEAKNESSES: At this point, Smith's game is more technique than physicality as he's not a guy you'll see blowing defenders up frequently, and in rare cases where he does lose leverage, he can be easy to thwart.

All in all, Smith's durability, strong fundamentals, instincts, and versatility to play any of the interior positions outweigh the few drawbacks and should be enough to merit at least mid-round consideration next spring if he puts together another strong year.

Questions about Center aside (and I do have some faith in Bodine even though I'm saying he is an unknown) this looks to be a fairly potent group -- assuming they merge into a unit that works well together. What is everyone else's thoughts on the group and how are ground game will look come winter months?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just watching Denver's line get riddled with injuries. Sounds like Ryan Clady is done for the year. This sort of thing can turn a menacing opponent into a manageable game that we should win.

Reply/Quote
I like what we're doing with the Oline, but i'm fairly certain the early winner on best line goes to the Cowboys.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Assuming all the starters stay healthy all year...
Reply/Quote
I would be highly shocked if France and Hawkinson are a factor at all. Also not sure why you find it scary when Dalton runs as he is actually a pretty good runner as far as QBs go.
Reply/Quote
We damn well better after that draft......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
If Ogbuehi is fit by then you have to say we may well be up there. Our starting lineup may not be quite as dominant as the Cowboys running but they are probably better at pass pro. I can't see many other teams having the depth we will have. Fisher, Winston and Ogbuehi on the bench is a lot of talent.

Reply/Quote
Should definitely be one of our strengths.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 12:33 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: If Ogbuehi is fit by then you have to say we may well be up there. Our starting lineup may not be quite as dominant as the Cowboys running but they are probably better at pass pro. I can't see many other teams having the depth we will have. Fisher, Winston and Ogbuehi on the bench is a lot of talent.

My only concern is how strong those two can get.  We are in a division that has a lot of bull rushers and neither Ogbuehi nor Fisher have handled that well historically.

I remember loving Eric Steinbach until he let Kimo destroy Palmer.   Dealing with the bull rush was his Achilles heel.  I hope these boys can bulk up enough to resist the bull rush.   That is a definite strength Whit has, and why he's been so successful against Suggs. 
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 05:52 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Also not sure why you find it scary when Dalton runs as he is actually a pretty good runner as far as QBs go.

Fair enough, he has put up some good numbers.

Reply/Quote