Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williams to get tested early...
So did I read that the first 2 games of his NFL career, Jonah Williams faces Joey Bosa and Mile Garrett? I guess it won't take long to find out if he is as advertised....
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 08:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So did I read that the first 2 games of his NFL career, Jonah Williams faces Joey Bosa and Mile Garrett? I guess it won't take long to find out if he is as advertised....

This won't make you feel better but Bosa actually rushes from the opposite side most of the time (Bobby Hart). The Chargers still do have a very capable Melvin Ingram coming at Williams. I should note they move him around a decent amount though, sometimes he comes from a LB position so it's possible they match up at some point in the game atleast briefly. Now week 2, Williams will face Garrett so that will be fun...maybe. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 09:10 AM)Au165 Wrote: This won't make you feel better but Bosa actually rushes from the opposite side most of the time (Bobby Hart). The Chargers still do have a very capable Melvin Ingram coming at Williams. Now week 2, Williams will face Garrett so that will be fun...maybe. 

I was about to ask that very question.  I don't watch enough 49ers to know, but I remember JJ Watt was getting stonewalled by Whit, so he just went to the other side:  sack, sack....

His point is valid, in general, though.  He will see some strong pass rushers early.  Both Sample and Williams will likely be dealing with it together, as I think we will see more of Sample this year and he will be asked to help.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Something interesting about Myles Garrett when he lines up his inside foot is back instead of the outside foot.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 09:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was about to ask that very question.  I don't watch enough 49ers to know, but I remember JJ Watt was getting stonewalled by Whit, so he just went to the other side:  sack, sack....

His point is valid, in general, though.  He will see some strong pass rushers early.  Both Sample and Williams will likely be dealing with it together, as I think we will see more of Sample this year and he will be asked to help.

I think you are going to want to use a lot of motion cracking on Bosa and Garrett. Essentially you have someone coming across the formation nearly every play, sometimes you snap and they release into the route others they crack the end. Forcing the end to constantly be checking for the crack will slow down their ability to immediately jump upfield. This is actually a staple of the 49ers offense and Kittle I think burned us on this concept when he released instead of cracking on one of the big plays. The added benefit of this is the motion will look the same running, passing, or even running a jet sweep so it does have the additional benefit of disguise to the play as a whole.
Reply/Quote
Williams faced Garrett in college, so he should be familiar with him. Did he face Bosa?
Reply/Quote
Hope he doesn’t get swung at with a helmet!
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 09:22 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Williams faced Garrett in college, so he should be familiar with him. Did he face Bosa?

He did not. Alabama last played OSU in 2015, so neither would have been playing.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 10:36 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Hope he doesn’t get swung at with a helmet!

As long as Jonah doesn't wrench his neck via a facemask, kick him in the groin, and then try to get in his face afterwards... I think he will be fine.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: As long as Jonah doesn't wrench his neck via a facemask, kick him in the groin, and then try to get in his face afterwards... I think he will be fine.

“But but but but! Mason Rudolph did nothing wrong! Myles Garrett should be arrested! And Hines Ward never ever did anything dangerous with the crown of his helmet! Neither did Ryan Shazier! That’s not the steeler way! Myles Garrett and Vontaze Burfict are the dirtiest players ever! The Steelers would never condone their behavior!”

#YinzerLogic
Reply/Quote
I thought this was going to be Covid related. Crazy times.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 08:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So did I read that the first 2 games of his NFL career, Jonah Williams faces Joey Bosa and Mile Garrett? I guess it won't take long to find out if he is as advertised....

I think it's going to take Jonah several weeks to shake the rust off regardless. So if he bombs these two games, I don't think we can necessarily conclude anything from it. 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:05 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: He did not. Alabama last played OSU in 2015, so neither would have been playing.

They're talking about Joey Bosa... Not Nick. Joey was on that national champion team. But you're right; Jonah Williams has not played against Joey Bosa.

On a side note... It's amazing how many NFL players were in that OSU and Alabama game.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
That’s good. Trial by fire. Get him up to speed quickly. If he gets whooped it will only make him work that much harder
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 05:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought this was going to be Covid related. Crazy times.

Sadly... I thought the same thing.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:41 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: As long as Jonah doesn't wrench his neck via a facemask, kick him in the groin, and then try to get in his face afterwards... I think he will be fine.

Or use racial slurs on the field...
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 10:50 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Or use racial slurs on the field...

Or lie about someone using racial slurs to cover up their bad behavior. That incident reminds me of the time a puppy bit me, and I hit it with a bat... The damn thing had some stankin' breathe too.

I hope Jonah mops Miles Garrett.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 05:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I thought this was going to be Covid related. Crazy times.

I thought the same thing.  And a different Williams too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 11:52 PM)McC Wrote: I thought the same thing.  And a different Williams too.

Same. And as far as Williams confusion that’s why I’ve been referring to him as Jonah.

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2020, 06:33 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote:  If he gets whooped it will only make him work that much harder

Or it could mean he is just another first round pick like Ogbuehi and Price.

I know even good teams miss on first round picks, but not usually that badly and that often.

**EDIT**  Not saying this is what I think will happen.  I loved the Jonah Williams pick.  Just saying it is still a possibility.
Reply/Quote