Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williams vs. Iloka
Is Williams going to be the better player?

Just reviewing the few snaps that Williams has had vs Iloka, Williams seems to take better angles and gets much better shots at interceptions vs. Iloka who seems to play through the guy and deliver the hit.

Each are good in their own way but has Williams played himself into even more playing time at the expense of Iloka?

Discuss.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
Very unlikely Williams is going to be better because Iloka is really just that good.
They are very different players. Williams has his moments but he's not nearly as athletic or aware as Iloka.
Reply/Quote
I don't think the question should be who is better but will they play well together. Re signing Iloka should be the top priority this offseason.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 07:31 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Is Williams going to be the better player?

Just reviewing the few snaps that Williams has had vs Iloka, Williams seems to take better angles and gets much better shots at interceptions vs. Iloka who seems to play through the guy and deliver the hit.

Each are good in their own way but has Williams played himself into even more playing time at the expense of Iloka?

Discuss.

Iloka is going to be the better player and has been for a couple years.

Iloka covers better and i actually believe takes better angles unlike what you say here. I have seen Shawn whiff,
not George. Shawn might have better hands and better at returning interceptions but Iloka has much more range
with his size, speed and ability to cover. Iloka is a rare talent, he just needs to stay healthy.

It will be Shawn and George as our Safeties in the future. Hopefully we tag Reggie after the season for one more
year but Shawn will probably take his spot the year after. That is my guess anyway.
Reply/Quote
Williams is surprising me with his ball skills. Maybe he will be able to play some FS and fill in should we not sign back Nelson. I think Illoka is the far superior player and a better fit as a SS. Going forward I would like to see Illoka signed back and a high draft pick used on a ball hawking safety.

Reply/Quote
I like Shawn, but not better than Iloke.

Shawn's interception Sunday was was just hung up there for him.  I like the way he fought for the ball, but any starting safety in the league could have ran under that.  

The pick against the Steelers was a much more impressive play.  And we were trailing with only about 5 minutes left in the game.  If he does nothing else the rest of the season Shawn has earned his keep with that one play.
Reply/Quote
Two entirely different skill sets. Iloka is a big, hard hitting, enforcer type of SS. Williams is more of a center field, over the top, ball hawking type. Difference is, Iloka is developed, and Williams is still learning the nuances of the pro game. Hopefully, both will remain Bengals for years to come.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 08:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Iloka is going to be the better player and has been for a couple years.

Iloka covers better and i actually believe takes better angles unlike what you say here. I have seen Shawn whiff,
not George. Shawn might have better hands and better at returning interceptions but Iloka has much more range
with his size, speed and ability to cover. Iloka is a rare talent, he just needs to stay healthy.

It will be Shawn and George as our Safeties in the future. Hopefully we tag Reggie after the season for one more
year but Shawn will probably take his spot the year after. That is my guess anyway.

I think it's possible they're willing to let Reggie go in order to retain other players like Leon, Adam and Iloka (I think).  Leon can fill in at Safety if needed. 
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:01 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I think it's possible they're willing to let Reggie go in order to retain other players like Leon, Adam and Iloka (I think).  Leon can fill in at Safety if needed. 

Yeah.  Even though Nelson is old he is having a monster season.  That alone might make him to hard to sign.

They may have to go that route.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:09 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yeah.  Even though Nelson is old he is having a monster season.  That alone might make him to hard to sign.

I know, it sucks man because I like me some Reggie Nelson. But he's gonna be looking to make his last big payday and he should. He's been great here but in order to keep the defense in tact for the most part, we gotta let him walk and keep Leon and Adam for continuity that sets them up for the future. 
Reply/Quote
Williams is the more athletic of the 2, but Iloka has better ball skills.

I think the comparison should be Reggie and George as both are FAs. Williams is going to be a starter next year, the question is who will be the other Safety.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:22 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I know, it sucks man because I like me some Reggie Nelson. But he's gonna be looking to make his last big payday and he should. He's been great here but in order to keep the defense in tact for the most part, we gotta let him walk and keep Leon and Adam for continuity that sets them up for the future. 

I like Reggie too.  He came along when that position's play was severely lacking.

He plays hard and doesn't act like a punk.  The guy would get flagged for legal hits.  Mostly because he'd hit so damn hard.

Almost every season you were guaranteed at least one or two nice safety blitzes that would save the day from him as well.

It will be sad to see him go but to get these other guys signed they may just have to let him walk.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:01 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I think it's possible they're willing to let Reggie go in order to retain other players like Leon, Adam and Iloka (I think).  Leon can fill in at Safety if needed. 

I actually like a 3 Safety idea, for Nickle packages, with Hall playing the 3rd Safety.  A healthy Iloka is almost as good as having a 3rd LB on the field, in those situations.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It just seems like this team has difficulty in developing safeties. We have 3 pretty good ones now and it would be a shame to let one of them walk.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:09 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Yeah.  Even though Nelson is old he is having a monster season.  That alone might make him to hard to sign.

Nelson ain't going no where. If anything Hall would be the first to go imo.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 09:22 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I know, it sucks man because I like me some Reggie Nelson. But he's gonna be looking to make his last big payday and he should. He's been great here but in order to keep the defense in tact for the most part, we gotta let him walk and keep Leon and Adam for continuity that sets them up for the future. 

We will have a large amount of cap space for next season.  There is no reason that we can't resign all of the players that we want.

Reggie will be facing a tough market.  Sure, he's had a great year, but he's getting old.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 07:31 PM)EatonFan Wrote: Is Williams going to be the better player?

Discuss.

I believe we will try to resign Iloka. If we can't we'll roll with Williams.

Adam Jones and Reggie Nelson, while getting long in the tooth, have been spectacular this year and there's nothing that I can see that they can't stay at this level for a couple of more years.

Reply/Quote
Iloka covers more ground, is better in coverage, hits harder, and plays the run better. Iloka is a top 5 safety.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2015, 07:58 PM)J24 Wrote: I don't think the question should be who is better but will they play well together. Re signing Iloka should be the top priority this offseason.

This.  Williams is being groomed to replace Reggie.  That being said, depth in this position is getting thin.  Haven't seen much (not much in the way of opportunities, either) from Derron Smith, but we shall see.

It seems as though the draft wish list for next year will be CB, WR, S, and another OT.  
Reply/Quote
I think Williams will make a great FS, most don't realize his splits and 40 time were in the top 10 his draft class. He has deceptive speed and actually covers decently but loves to hit ppl(al beit) his own players some times. But I think the db coaches have done awesome with a player who can already hit hard making him finesse as a safety to get picks, our own poor mans Ed reed(I am not comparing them..)
"The Power of life and death is in the tongue"
Reply/Quote