Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willis Should Start
I've personally seen enough to say that I think Jordan Willis should be starting... The man is quietly playing really well this preseason and is showing that he should've been picked in the first round.

He had a strip sack against the Redskins and I'm pretty sure he had 1-2 more sacks in other preseason games. Johnson is old and just isn't cutting it... It's time for the youth movement.

Smith, Lawson and Willis all had sacks...

IT'S TIME TO LET THE YOUNGINS EAT!
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:58 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I've personally seen enough to say that I think Jordan Willis should be starting... The man is quietly playing really well this preseason and is showing that he should've been picked in the first round.

He had a strip sack against the Redskins and I'm pretty sure he had 1-2 more sacks in other preseason games. Johnson is old and just isn't cutting it... It's time for the youth movement.

While MJ has not impressed me, he had Cousins in his grasp and would've had a sack if Cousins didn't intentionally ground it.  Intentional grounding is basically a sack.  The young pass rushers are definitely playing well, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 09:58 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I've personally seen enough to say that I think Jordan Willis should be starting... The man is quietly playing really well this preseason and is showing that he should've been picked in the first round.

MJ played good tonight, had a sack really that ended up being intentional grounding.. and played better on the run.. As for starting, that word to me means very little on a team that is going to rotate their players.. and have not seen much from him on stopping the run,, but no doubt he will be playing a lot of snaps through the season.. I predict he gets 3/4 most snaps behind Dunlap and Atkins... 
Reply/Quote
I'm not worried about who starts...but Willis definitely needs to get snaps. Split their snaps 60/40.

MJ played a ton of snaps last year which probably hurt his effectiveness.

The Bengals Defense was traditionally at its best when they had an 8 man line rotation. Guys would come in and go hard every play. We need to get back to that.

Lawson impressed me more than Willis going against a good Tackle.
Reply/Quote
The interesting thing about MJs sack was he was lined up next to #96 as a DT.

He clearly outmanned the RG on the play and should have had the sack.

With all that being said Im all for the rotation and letting the younger guys play.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:57 PM)corpjet Wrote: The interesting thing about MJs sack was he was lined up next to #96 as a DT.  

He clearly outmanned the RG on the play and should have had the sack.

With all that being said Im all for the rotation and letting the younger guys play.

Yeah MJ at DT was an interesting look.

Billings has been underwhelming so far to me.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah MJ at DT was an interesting look.

Billings has been underwhelming so far to me.

Billings is like a rookie.. but i think he will get better.. no doubt, they need to keep Sims though, he has played the best outside of Atkins.. Sims is solid against the run. 
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2017, 10:33 PM)Whatever Wrote: While MJ has not impressed me, he had Cousins in his grasp and would've had a sack if Cousins didn't intentionally ground it.  Intentional grounding is basically a sack.  The young pass rushers are definitely playing well, though.

He did that from the DT position.  He actually did a pretty good job from that spot on passing downs, but that could have something to do with horrible guard play.  Lawson, Smith, and Willis, however, did it against All-Pro tackles...at least I think Willis was in against him.    I know Lawson got by him twice.  
Reply/Quote
I predict the DL will be:
DE: Dunlap, MJ, Willis, Smith
DT: Atkins, Sims, Glasgow, Billings
Rush LB: Lawson

If the Bengals want to throw in another DL because they have room, they might go with Clarke just for the sake of keeping him through his contract and seeing what he can do this year, especially after seeing MJ might not be so bad rushing from the interior in the Gilberry role.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I am stoked that it looks like we will have a solid rotation for the first time since Zimmer left.

Willis and Lawson look poised to contribute as rookies.

I may have been confused but I swore Gilberry looked solid at times.

Some are down on Will Clarke but he made some good plays last year deflecting passes.
Reply/Quote

For sure and it ain't been quiet. Willis has stood out beating his man consistently just like Chris Smith and Lawson
yesterday on the Probowler Trent Williams. That was an awesome performance against one of the best LT's in the
game. Impressed with all these guys but Willis should start at RDE over MJ.

MJ had a nice sack yesterday that pry made sure he made the team though. Maybe he should play DT lol
Reply/Quote
To much emphasis is put on the label "Starter" MJ clearly had a good game at end then got push in the middle as a pass rusher.

Much to my dismay as a WVU fan Clarke has lost his job.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 11:59 AM)Synric Wrote: To much emphasis is put on the label "Starter" MJ clearly had a good game at end then got push in the middle as a pass rusher.

Much to my dismay as a WVU fan Clarke has lost his job.

Clarke actually played a pretty good game, particularly against the run.  I think he will make it if they keep 9 DL.  Hardison is now on the wrong side of the roster bubble imo.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 12:28 PM)Whatever Wrote: Clarke actually played a pretty good game, particularly against the run.  I think he will make it if they keep 9 DL.  Hardison is now on the wrong side of the roster bubble imo.

I hope so with Clarke...Hardison reminds me Devon Still all the talent but passive aggressive...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 12:36 PM)Synric Wrote: I hope so with Clarke...Hardison reminds me Devon Still all the talent but passive aggressive...

Clarke has always been a guy I think is great for his role in a rotation.

Still think he'll make it; he doesn't embarass himself out there.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Fml. MJ has one decent play where he almost got a sack n now he is in good graces with everyone. Hes old n slow n should be a back up.
Reply/Quote
Im in the opinion that MJ still should be the starter. Let him be the 1st and 2nd down end for most of the game. But bring in Willis on passing downs.

I have been an MJ critic last couple of years, but he does do a good job against the run in contain. And also I think a guy like Willis would be most effective if used less in the game to maximize his pass rush with fresher legs.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 09:29 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I predict the DL will be:
DE: Dunlap, MJ, Willis, Smith
DT: Atkins, Sims, Glasgow, Billings
Rush LB: Lawson

If the Bengals want to throw in another DL because they have room, they might go with Clarke just for the sake of keeping him through his contract and seeing what he can do this year, especially after seeing MJ might not be so bad rushing from the interior in the Gilberry role.

Clarke looks like the primary back-up to Dunlap. When Dunlap left the game, Clarke played his DE spot almost exclusively.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 04:14 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Clarke looks like the primary back-up to Dunlap. When Dunlap left the game, Clarke played his DE spot almost exclusively.

Maybe that justifies Clarke staying on the roster, or maybe it means the Bengals really wanted to see him actually make some noise this preseason (which he really hasn't).
I am confident Smith makes the roster. I'd be surprised to see MJ cut after showing some potential rushing from the inside and still being the incumbent veteran starter at DE.
The last DL spot could come down to Clarke vs Gilberry. I'm excited to see how it plays out (although I may not agree with how it plays out lol)
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2017, 02:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im in the opinion that MJ still should be the starter. Let him be the 1st and 2nd down end for most of the game. But bring in Willis on passing downs.

I have been an MJ critic last couple of years, but he does do a good job against the run in contain. And also I think a guy like Willis would be most effective if used less in the game to maximize his pass rush with fresher legs.

Willis can stop the run and rush the passer.

I start Willis and use MJ in the rotation and as a nickel DT like yesterday when he made the good play.

He is really quick for a DT. Maybe not a coincidence he looked good there.
Reply/Quote