Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilson wants a Contract Extension
Coming into this off season, I figured we'd have to choose between Wilson and Pratt because I expected they'd both want around 9 to 10 million per year.

However, signing Pratt to a deal averaging 7 million per year may have given them the flexibility to sign Logan for a few more years if he signs a similar deal. 10M per year for 1 vs 14M per year for both isn't too bad of a compromise. Hell, even 16M AAV for the two of them would be a bit of a bargain and shouldn't hinder our team building too much.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 11:09 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: No way Logan gets $12-$14 mil. Pratt is every bit as good as he is. 3 years/$21 mil-ish for Pratt. You can get very good LBs round 2 or 3, and best in class late round one. plus, if he walks, I think we might be OK with ADG stepping in.  Yes, both FAs same year.  

Currently, with Burrow, Chase, and Higgins on rookie deals, we got 2 gyys who make that kind of cake. Reader is in the final year of his 4/$53 which is $13+ APY. Hendrickson has 2 years left on his 4/$60, $15 mil. Brown's deal is 4/$64, or $16 per. An pro-bowl OT, a pro-bowl DE, and the premiere run stopping NT in the league. Our pro-bowl QB & pro-bowl WR are going to join that club soon, as is Higgins. QB, WR, and DE are all prime positions, and stopping the run is job #1 in our division. LB is not as important. It just isn't. 

2 other players are making $12 mil plus this year. Mixon & Jonah. Mixon has 2 years left on a 5/$50 deal ($10 per/, but the team has the option for the 5th year and can save $10 mil if tgey don't pick it up. Jonah is on his rookie deal, and makes $12.6 this year, but he won't be back at that number, his whole deal is 5/$30. 

Logan does play more snaps than Pratt, but I agree with what you are saying.   He will likely get a little more than Pratt, but perhaps longer.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wilson may not be an All-World backer, but he is pretty damn good and the general of this defense.

He's definitely not a weak spot, so why would we risk losing him and having to find a replacement just as good or hope that one of our backups can get the job done?

We have a good thing going, so continuity is also a good thing.

I don't think he'll break the bank because of the success he's had here and the stability that he'll have because, good or not, he's not at the level where teams will just fire boatloads of money at him.

I hope he comes back on a decent deal!
Reply/Quote
bfine wants Wilson to play a complete season.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 01:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: bfine wants Wilson to play a complete season.

There's that too.

I think it's hard to predict who stays and goes if we keep Tee. Outside of the big 3, if anyone wants top dollar...they're likely gone. Or possibly gone. Possibly is a better word.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 02:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's that too.

I think it's hard to predict who stays and goes if we keep Tee. Outside of the big 3, if anyone wants top dollar...they're likely gone. Or possibly gone. Possibly is a better word.

Absolutely. Wilson does not play a premium position (QB, WR, OT, DE, CB) like Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Brown, and Hendrickson. Nor is he elite at his position like Burrow, Chase, Reader, or Hendrickson (2021). He is a GOOD, not great, player at a non premium spot. We just let Bates, Bell, and Hurst walk in that category. 

Now, it is not like we cannot/will not pay guys in that spot. BJ Hill got 3/$30. Cappa got 4/$35. Pratt 3/$21. I think 8-10 per year is more the ballpark. If he stays healthy the whole year and gets to near PB level, then perhaps a bit more. 

I don't think he is foundational piece like Burrow, Chase, Brown, Reader, & Hendrickson. 
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 12:02 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Wilson is an important piece to this defense and I can’t imagine they would let him walk after this season. Drafting linebackers is not a fun thing to do when they need to develop while being forced to start.

Besides being a play-maker, he's also the QB of that defense, relaying signals in from upstairs and the sideline. He also gets them in and out of last second formations based on audibles, etc. To have a LB like him that can play the LOS, chase and defend TE's/RB's and, last but not least, cover receivers downfield is never to be taken lightly.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 02:29 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Absolutely. Wilson does not play a premium position (QB, WR, OT, DE, CB) like Burrow, Chase, Higgins, Brown, and Hendrickson. Nor is he elite at his position like Burrow, Chase, Reader, or Hendrickson (2021). He is a GOOD, not great, player at a non premium spot. We just let Bates, Bell, and Hurst walk in that category. 

Now, it is not like we cannot/will not pay guys in that spot. BJ Hill got 3/$30. Cappa got 4/$35. Pratt 3/$21. I think 8-10 per year is more the ballpark. If he stays healthy the whole year and gets to near PB level, then perhaps a bit more. 

I don't think he is foundational piece like Burrow, Chase, Brown, Reader, & Hendrickson. 

Ever notice how are LBs got a lot better when Reader got here and was healthy?
Reply/Quote
Boy oh boy, some of the arguments on here. Wilson is our best linebacker and it's not even close. And don't forget, without him the Ravens are playing KC last year instead of us.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 04:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Boy oh boy, some of the arguments on here. Wilson is our best linebacker and it's not even close. And don't forget, without him the Ravens are playing KC last year instead of us.

And if he doesn't make the pick against KC they may not have played in the SB. Unless you make 15 tackles a game most people simply no clue the responsibilities, talent and how essential a player is.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 09:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Back and fourth on Wilson. I think hes a solid player but I dont think hes a huge impact player. I'd love to have him back but at the right price.

He doesnt have much leverage for a big pay day given the contract that Pratt just signed.

Not sure which Wilson you have been watching but Logan Wilson is an outstanding LB and has a major impact on the performance of this defense.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 12:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's going to be cheaper keeping a LB of Wilson's caliber than keeping about any other position on offense or defense for the same/similar caliber player.
Get Wilson extended so you don't need to draft another LB high and thus can have that draft pick next year for another position (DT, OL, maybe TE).

Absolutely! LB are under valued in the NFL.  If you don't believe me take a look at the first round draft picks from a few years ago who are NOT getting their 5th year option picked up.
Reply/Quote
I agree Wilson is a very good to great LB. But we just can't be silly because he's a Bengals. Just today The Ravens declined the 5th year on Patrick Queen, and The Cardinals declined the option on Isiah Simmons. Kenneth Murray and Jordan Brooks were also declined. That's some good to great LBs who will be looking for work next year.

To those saying others are silly: How much do we want to commit to Wilson this off-season?

Reply/Quote
Wilson is a good lb but don't think it's worth it to pay him more than maybe 10m/year average. The off ball LB market is likely to have 4-5 good players available next offseason as well, and he'll be competing with them contract wise. No need to over pay and if he's expecting anything near what roquan or Edmunds got he's gone for sure. Bears and ravens 100% overpaid
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 10:55 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Wilson is a good lb but don't think it's worth it to pay him more than maybe 10m/year average. The off ball LB market is likely to have 4-5 good players available next offseason as well, and he'll be competing with them contract wise. No need to over pay and if he's expecting anything near what roquan or Edmunds got he's gone for sure. Bears and ravens 100% overpaid

Seems Tee is a fan of Simmons:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/02/bengals-tee-higgins-recruiting-isaiah-simmons-free-agency/

[Image: HHxcHGMc_bigger.jpg]

Yo moms from cincy my boy… come to ya roots in a year

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 09:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree Wilson is a very good to great LB. But we just can't be silly because he's a Bengals. Just today The Ravens declined the 5th year on Patrick Queen, and The Cardinals declined the option on Isiah Simmons. Kenneth Murray and Jordan Brooks were also declined. That's some good to great LBs who will be looking for work next year.

To those saying others are silly: How much do we want to commit to Wilson this off-season?

That's what it comes down to. People like him. They want to keep him. But, we can't keep everyone.

I'm sure people wanted to keep Bates, Bell, and Hurst too.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 11:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Seems Tee is a fan of Simmons:

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2023/05/02/bengals-tee-higgins-recruiting-isaiah-simmons-free-agency/

[Image: HHxcHGMc_bigger.jpg]

Yo moms from cincy my boy… come to ya roots in a year

Simmons has been kind of underwhelming thus far.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2023, 09:28 AM)Housh Wrote: Good thing for us too i think the linebacker market had an inexplicable value decrease. Last off-season i was gearing up for 20 million per as a starting spot.

I think we’ll start closer to 16-17 now which saves us some money over the life of whatever deal em he gets.

If Pratt signed for 7M, why is Wilson worth 16-17?

I would offer him 10 and no more
Reply/Quote
I fully expect them to extend Logan. It took them forever to actually draft a capable LB.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
It's pretty crazy the list of veteran free agent LBs out there available right now. And that is even after what was considered a slim LB draft class. Tough market to be a LB looking for a major long term big deal. As more DBs get on the field and more off-ball LBs come off, the glut of talent looks legit. I think Logan could land a mega deal if he hits free agency next year, but it would take the right team willing to give out stupid huge money to a MLB and the perfect pair might not be there. I thought Pratt was going to have a hot market and it never materialized. I'm sure if/when we make an offer to Logan it is a very reasonable offer not too far from what Pratt got. He has to be happy about the D being built around him. I hope he wants to stay and takes the money and we have the best LB duo for years to come.
Reply/Quote