Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Win, Lose, or Draw - I hope we do it with High Character Guys
That's a wish I have. In Marvin's tenure, how many guys did we pickup that were high draft picks that got waived because of a gun charge or repeated run ins with the law? Yeah as a portion of the roster, it was a small percentage, but those type of guys generally are hard to control. MB was even called the Redeemer, I think by himself.

We saw it on display in the Pittsburgh playoff game meltdown with Burfict and Jones.

I will say that Burfict has not had legal issues, but he had A LOT of personal fouls in college and I believe he punched a teammate.

We've brought in the Tank Johnsons, the Chris Henry's who were waived and resigned numerous times, the Cedric Benson's, the Adam Jones.

We even signed that guy that Brandon Joiner who was sentenced to jail for 3 years.

We tend to think that we're getting an awesome discount on players, but it ends up undermining us long-term.

Time to go with high character guys...
Reply/Quote
I get what you're saying, but the Bengals have plenty of stand-up guys, in roles big and not-so-big. They need to step up, too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 08:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's a wish I have. In Marvin's tenure, how many guys did we pickup that were high draft picks that got waived because of a gun charge or repeated run ins with the law? Yeah as a portion of the roster, it was a small percentage, but those type of guys generally are hard to control. MB was even called the Redeemer, I think by himself.

We saw it on display in the Pittsburgh playoff game meltdown with Burfict and Jones.

I will say that Burfict has not had legal issues, but he had A LOT of personal fouls in college and I believe he punched a teammate.

We've brought in the Tank Johnsons, the Chris Henry's who were waived and resigned numerous times, the Cedric Benson's, the Adam Jones.

We even signed that guy that Brandon Joiner who was sentenced to jail for 3 years.

We tend to think that we're getting an awesome discount on players, but it ends up undermining us long-term.

Time to go with high character guys...
Don't forget Odell Thurman. His jersey is the last piece of Bengals merchandise I've bought. What a bad investment. It's my personal protest until the Brown family no longer runs the team.

Back to your topic. I agree on the character guys. It's why I was so happy to get Price and Hubbard last year. Both guys were known around OSU fandom as high character, high effort guys.
Reply/Quote
I was mad when they drafted Mixon, that he might be good wasn’t what was important to me. He has kept his nose clean though and so far has proven that he deserved a second chance. It still floors me that Mike gave Pac-Man like 13 chances. I love to root for a winning team but not at “any cost”.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 08:25 PM)snowy Wrote: I get what you're saying, but the Bengals have plenty of stand-up guys, in roles big and not-so-big. They need to step up, too.

No doubt we have dozens of great, high quality guys. And what I think you are saying we need those guys to be leaders and I agree.

I'm not specifically saying guys like Burfict need to step up. I'm saying we need to avoid drafting guys like Burfict. Don't sign guys like Adam Jones that have been suspended.

The issues you get with them are worse than the benefit.

IF there is some guy there in the draft in the 3rd Round with some character issue that's causing teams to pass on him...we need to pass too.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 08:29 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: Don't forget Odell Thurman. His jersey is the last piece of Bengals merchandise I've bought. What a bad investment. It's my personal protest until the Brown family no longer runs the team.

Back to your topic. I agree on the character guys. It's why I was so happy to get Price and Hubbard last year. Both guys were known around OSU fandom as high character, high effort guys.

Thurman had soo much talent.

Not really sure what happened with him. The league totally put the hammer down. Usually you see them reinstate guys and give them a 2nd chance. He must have had other infractions that weren't public.

Justin Blackmon is the only other guy that I can recall in a similar situation and it's known why he is still suspended.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 08:45 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I was mad when they drafted Mixon, that he might be good wasn’t what was important to me. He has kept his nose clean though and so far has proven that he deserved a second chance. It still floors me that Mike gave Pac-Man like 13 chances. I love to root for a winning team but not at “any cost”.

Yeah I felt the same. Pretty shocking seeing the video of what he did. I knew he'd have talent. He's kept his nose clean.

Burfict is the ultimate polarizing figure. No matter what he does, some fans will defend it. The hit on Brown in the playoff game was clearly a personal foul and unnecessary. But, some fans said otherwise. How people didn't turn on him...I don't know.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 10:15 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah I felt the same. Pretty shocking seeing the video of what he did. I knew he'd have talent. He's kept his nose clean.

Burfict is the ultimate polarizing figure. No matter what he does, some fans will defend it. The hit on Brown in the playoff game was clearly a personal foul and unnecessary. But, some fans said otherwise. How people didn't turn on him...I don't know.

He should’ve been cut by now and that money spent on upgrades.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:04 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I prefer less scumbags. But I don't give a shit. Win!!!

But if someone starts acting presidential, then I would probably want them off our team.

There's plenty of scumbags who've suited up for the Patriots, for sure.
Reply/Quote
Win, lose or draw?  No way.  I would rather win with high character guys than scofflaws, but I'd rather win with some "character issues" than lose with choir boys.

BTW an awful lot of our very best players had "character issues"

A J Green was suspended 4 games during his final year at Georgia.

Frostee Rucker was called a sexual predator when we drafted him.

Leon Hall, Justin Smith, and Eric Steinbach all had a DUIs.

Johnathan Joseph got busted with weed.

John Kitna sexually assaulted a panda at the Cincinnati Zoo.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 11:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Win, lose or draw?  No way.  I would rather win with high character guys than scofflaws, but I'd rather win with some "character issues" than lose with choir boys.

BTW an awful lot of our very best players had "character issues"

A J Green was suspended 4 games during his final year at Georgia.

Frostee Rucker was called a sexual predator when we drafted him.

Leon Hall, Justin Smith, and Eric Steinbach all had a DUIs.

Johnathan Joseph got busted with weed.

John Kitna sexually assaulted a panda at the Cincinnati Zoo.

I remember people freaking out when the Bengals took Carlos Dunlap way back when... he had some (minor) issue IIRC and there were a lot of "why do the Bengals keep taking players with a past" posts. Now he's their Man of the Year candidate. Guys grow up.
Reply/Quote