Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Winning, or Just Seats and Jerseys?
So, Bengaldom, which is it?

Is this offseason about putting butts in seats and selling jerseys or is it about winning?

I’m all for drafting Joe Burrow #1OA. That’s no longer up for debate unless Mike Brown is offered a one-sided deal not even any of us would refuse. I give it 95% probability Joe Burrow will be inking his rookie deal with the Bengals in a few short months.

With Joe Burrow in the fold as of the evening of 23 April, let’s rewind to March 2020 when free agency opens. This is the first indicator of which way the “butts in seats and jerseys vs. winning” debate will turn. The Cincinnati Bengals have usually slept through free agency, sometimes “kicking the tires” on a player or two, signing one here and there, but pretty much laying low while all the good teams make big moves.

Mike Brown doesn’t like free agency and he’s gone on the record saying so. However, this holds back the team’s overall progress. Free agency, whether we like it or not, is a fact of life. Along with drafts and trading, free agency is a viable way to build a competitive team. The best teams use all three ways but the Bengals prefer to focus on the draft alone.

If the Bengals want to win they must be aggressive in free agency. If they are not I’ll be very concerned until the 33d pick in the draft comes up. If. I hear Roger Goodell announce the Bengals’ pick as an NFL-ready linebacker or offensive lineman, it will give me hope the Front Office wants to win. If the 33d pick, and those after it, turn out to be a bunch of Drew Sample-like head scratchers I’ll know only butts in the seats and jersey sales are important.

Joe Burrow has the potential to be a very good NFL quarterback but he will need a solid team around him to become a star. I do not want him to become Archie Manning 2.0 who was an outstanding player surrounded by a team of drones led by awful coaches. A player like Joe only comes along on rare occasion so let’s hope the Front Office prioritizes winning over selling seats and jerseys.

Besides, winning creates the demand for tickets and jerseys in and of itself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 04:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: So, Bengaldom, which is it?

Is this offseason about putting butts in seats and selling jerseys or is it about winning?

I’m all for drafting Joe Burrow #1OA.  That’s no longer up for debate unless Mike Brown is offered a one-sided deal not even any of us would refuse.  I give it 95% probability Joe Burrow will be inking his rookie deal with the Bengals in a few short months.

With Joe Burrow in the fold as of the evening of 23 April, let’s rewind to March 2020 when free agency opens.  This is the first indicator of which way the “butts in seats and jerseys vs. winning” debate will turn.  The Cincinnati Bengals have usually slept through free agency, sometimes “kicking the tires” on a player or two, signing one here and there, but pretty much laying low while all the good teams make big moves.

Mike Brown doesn’t like free agency and he’s gone on the record saying so.  However, this holds back the team’s overall progress.  Free agency, whether we like it or not, is a fact of life.  Along with drafts and trading, free agency is a viable way to build a competitive team.  The best teams use all three ways but the Bengals prefer to focus on the draft alone.

If the Bengals want to win they must be aggressive in free agency.  If they are not I’ll be very concerned until the 33d pick in the draft comes up.  If. I hear Roger Goodell announce the Bengals’ pick as an NFL-ready linebacker or offensive lineman, it will give me hope the Front Office wants to win.  If the 33d pick, and those after it, turn out to be a bunch of Drew Sample-like head scratchers I’ll know only butts in the seats and jersey sales are important.

Joe Burrow has the potential to be a very good NFL quarterback but he will  need a solid team around him to become a star.  I do not want him to become Archie Manning 2.0 who was an outstanding player surrounded by a team of drones led by awful coaches.  A player like Joe only comes along on rare occasion so let’s hope the Front Office prioritizes winning over selling seats and jerseys.

The free agency is the real telling moment, if the Bengals get active in free agency and try to actually improve the roster prior to the draft then this is a real effort and the Burrow pick is less of a concern.

If they are going to just extend their own and sit on their hands, then the Burrow pick will be a waste and we get to relive the 90's.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote

I’m all for drafting Joe Burrow #1OA. That’s no longer up for debate unless Mike Brown is offered a one-sided deal not even any of us would refuse. I give it 95% probability Joe Burrow will be inking his rookie deal with the Bengals in a few short months.

With Joe Burrow in the fold as of the evening of 23 April, let’s rewind to March 2020 when free agency opens. This is the first indicator of which way the “butts in seats and jerseys vs. winning” debate will turn. The Cincinnati Bengals have usually slept through free agency, sometimes “kicking the tires” on a player or two, signing one here and there, but pretty much laying low while all the good teams make big moves.

Mike Brown doesn’t like free agency and he’s gone on the record saying so. However, this holds back the team’s overall progress. Free agency, whether we like it or not, is a fact of life. Along with drafts and trading, free agency is a viable way to build a competitive team. The best teams use all three ways but the Bengals prefer to focus on the draft alone.

If the Bengals want to win they must be aggressive in free agency. If they are not I’ll be very concerned until the 33d pick in the draft comes up. If. I hear Roger Goodell announce the Bengals’ pick as an NFL-ready linebacker or offensive lineman, it will give me hope the Front Office wants to win. If the 33d pick, and those after it, turn out to be a bunch of Drew Sample-like head scratchers I’ll know only butts in the seats and jersey sales are important.

Joe Burrow has the potential to be a very good NFL quarterback but he will need a solid team around him to become a star. I do not want him to become Archie Manning 2.0 who was an outstanding player surrounded by a team of drones led by awful coaches. A player like Joe only comes along on rare occasion so let’s hope the Front Office prioritizes winning over selling seats and jerseys.

I think the fan base as a whole is in show me mode right now. We won't be fooled again. I think winning is the only thing that will put butts in seats. There will be a little more buzz around the team, but I really don't expect a packed house at the home opener. It'll take time.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

I’m all for drafting Joe Burrow #1OA.  That’s no longer up for debate unless Mike Brown is offered a one-sided deal not even any of us would refuse.  I give it 95% probability Joe Burrow will be inking his rookie deal with the Bengals in a few short months.

With Joe Burrow in the fold as of the evening of 23 April, let’s rewind to March 2020 when free agency opens.  This is the first indicator of which way the “butts in seats and jerseys vs. winning” debate will turn.  The Cincinnati Bengals have usually slept through free agency, sometimes “kicking the tires” on a player or two, signing one here and there, but pretty much laying low while all the good teams make big moves.

Mike Brown doesn’t like free agency and he’s gone on the record saying so.  However, this holds back the team’s overall progress.  Free agency, whether we like it or not, is a fact of life.  Along with drafts and trading, free agency is a viable way to build a competitive team.  The best teams use all three ways but the Bengals prefer to focus on the draft alone.

If the Bengals want to win they must be aggressive in free agency.  If they are not I’ll be very concerned until the 33d pick in the draft comes up.  If. I hear Roger Goodell announce the Bengals’ pick as an NFL-ready linebacker or offensive lineman, it will give me hope the Front Office wants to win.  If the 33d pick, and those after it, turn out to be a bunch of Drew Sample-like head scratchers I’ll know only butts in the seats and jersey sales are important.

Joe Burrow has the potential to be a very good NFL quarterback but he will  need a solid team around him to become a star.  I do not want him to become Archie Manning 2.0 who was an outstanding player surrounded by a team of drones led by awful coaches.  A player like Joe only comes along on rare occasion so let’s hope the Front Office prioritizes winning over selling seats and jerseys.

I think everyone knows what the weaknesses are of this team, even Mikey. The Line and the Linebackers need to be addressed.

Add some weapons to go along with this and Joe Burrow will be winning lots of games and they will be selling tickets and jerseys.
Reply/Quote
Why not both?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 04:30 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The free agency is the real telling moment, if the Bengals get active in free agency and try to actually improve the roster prior to the draft then this is a real effort and the Burrow pick is less of a concern.

If they are going to just extend their own and sit on their hands, then the Burrow pick will be a waste and we get to relive the 90's.

That's gonna be hard to do this year, unless they decide to not move Andy or Glenn. 

They're currently around 51m in cap space I think, if both remain on the team. If both contracts are taken off the books, then they're looking at about 78m in total cap room. Also, there's probably no rollover since it's the final year of the CBA.
Reply/Quote
I think drafting Burrow will generate enough enough buzz to put a few more rear ends in the seats, but if they can improve this roster and put a truly competitive product on the field, I think the fans will eventually start filling the stadium again. People are desperately wanting a reason to be excited and enthusiastic about this team. A combination of Burrow, a good draft, free agent activity and improved results on the field will give fans a reason to WANT to go to games and cheer their asses off. 

The front office needs to show they are serious about building a winner this offeason. Every Bengals fan will be watching closely to determine how committed they are to giving Taylor and Burrow a genuine opportunity to succeed. They're actually have a really good situation in front of them...with their draft position, cap room, etc. Hopefully, they take advantage of it.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t to much in free agency. They’ll probably tag Green and sign a bunch of role guys on the cheap Wilson, Tupou , Fej , Vigil and point to those signings as their big moves and keeping there own. Littleton is the only good free agent linebacker they’ll get outbid for him and the same with Conklin. It’s a great free agency guard class but the Bengals don’t spend on guards and will probably go status quo on the line rolling with Hart, Miller ,and company settling for below average play.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 04:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote:  (Insert any QB name here)  has the potential to be a very good NFL quarterback but he will need a solid team around him to become a star.  I do not want him to become Archie Manning 2.0 who was an outstanding player surrounded by a team of drones led by awful coaches.  A player like (insert same QB name here) only comes along on rare occasion so let’s hope the Front Office prioritizes winning over selling seats and jerseys.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 06:04 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t to much in free agency. They’ll probably tag Green and sign a bunch of  role guys on the cheap Wilson, Tupou , Fej , Vigil and point to those  signings  as their big moves and keeping there own. Littleton is the only good free agent linebacker they’ll get outbid for him and the same with Conklin. It’s a great free agency guard class but the Bengals don’t spend on guards and will probably go status quo on the line rolling with Hart, Miller ,and company settling for below average play.

Wrong and Wrong...

Free agent linebackers besides Corey Littleton: Jamie Collins Josh Bynes Nick Kwiatkoski David Mayo...Free Agent Tackles besides Jack Conklin: Matt Feiler Bryan Bulaga Halapoulivaati Vaitai Anthony Castonzo Cornelius Lucas.

Don't get stuck on those "Top Free Agent" lists.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 06:20 PM)Synric Wrote: Wrong and Wrong...

Free agent linebackers besides Corey Littleton: Jamie Collins Josh Bynes Nick Kwiatkoski David Mayo...Free Agent Tackles besides Jack Conklin: Matt Feiler Bryan Bulaga Halapoulivaati Vaitai Anthony Castonzo Cornelius Lucas.

Respect your opinion but don’t agree on some things which is fine. Bryan Bulaga is older and has an extensive injury history already tore his ACL twice in his career and seems to always be missing games with other injuries. Castonzo will be 32 when the season starts plus there’s rumors he might retire. Castonzo also plays LT and Williams is the future there. Want to get younger at tackle ,the other names you mentioned I’m not similar with so if there young with upside I’m all for it. Far as the linebackers I’m not to familiar with some of the names but willing to get more information on them. I’m a big no on Jamie Colins however, I’m from New England the guy has effort issues and free lances. He originally got traded to Cleveland for that exact reason and cut by Cleveland for that reason. He had a rebirth again with New England at the beginning of the season but that quickly faded and he got in Belichick’s dog house again.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 06:42 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Respect your opinion but don’t agree on some things which is fine. Bryan Bulaga is older and has an extensive injury history already tore his ACL twice in his career and seems to always be missing games with other injuries. Castonzo will be 32 when the season starts plus there’s rumors he might retire. Castonzo also plays LT and Williams is the future there. Want to get younger at tackle ,the other names  you mentioned I’m not similar with so if there young with upside I’m all for it. Far as the linebackers I’m not to familiar with some of the names but willing to get more information on them. I’m a big no Jamie Colins however, I’m from New England the guy has effort issues and free lances. He originally got traded to Cleveland for that exact reason and cut by Cleveland for that reason. He had a rebirth again with New England at the beginning of the season but that quickly faded and he got in Belichick’s dog house again.

Age would be an excellent thing in the tackle room with Williams and a possible young tackle in the 2020 draft. Castonza and Bulaga wouldnt have to be here for years just a couple to help solidify the line and help younger guys. Matt Feiler would be a steal and from a division rival. As for Jamie Collins he is an OLB and has been an absolute playmaker and that's what the defense needs...

Edit: My point is there are solid options outside of the "Top Free Agent" Lists.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 06:51 PM)Synric Wrote: Age would be an excellent thing in the tackle room with Williams and a possible young tackle in the 2020 draft. Castonza and Bulaga wouldnt have to be here for years just a couple to help solidify the line and help younger guys. Matt Feiler would be a steal and from a division rival. As for Jamie Collins he is an OLB and has been an absolute playmaker and that's what the defense needs...

Edit: My point is there are solid options outside of the "Top Free Agent" Lists.

Point taken I’m open for all solid free agent options and adding a young tackle in the draft. Feel like we could add a guard like Tuney , Scherff or Graham Glasgow and accomplish the same thing. There young and add a veteran presence because they’ve all started multiple games early into there careers. Just want to add some young talent to build going forward assuming they keep Green and hang onto aging players like Geno, Dunlap , Kirkpatrick etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 05:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's gonna be hard to do this year, unless they decide to not move Andy or Glenn. 

They're currently around 51m in cap space I think, if both remain on the team. If both contracts are taken off the books, then they're looking at about 78m in total cap room. Also, there's probably no rollover since it's the final year of the CBA.

I can see Mike keeping Andy on the roster since no one is going to offer the type of compensation he thinks Andy is worth.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Technically only people who burned their Palmer jerseys need to buy new Burrow ones.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 08:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Technically only people who burned their Palmer jerseys need to buy new Burrow ones.

Or people that actually want the correct jerseys...

Did you guys all re-purpose your Ken Anderson’s into Dalton’s as well?? Tongue

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 06:20 PM)Synric Wrote: Wrong and Wrong...

Thanks Synric, lots of good names there. I would like Collins and Conklin the most. Would settle for Collins and Feiler for sure.

That would be a nice FA, this is all we ask. Then draft Joe.
Reply/Quote

Honestly, if you're Joe Burrow, aren't you also watching how the Bengals participate in FA this year to see how "all-in" they are to build up a great team around you?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 08:14 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Technically only people who burned their Palmer jerseys need to buy new Burrow ones.

Burrow wore #10 in high school and at Ohio State. Not sure what the change was at LSU but we might all want to pump the breaks on the #9 jerseys for now.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2020, 08:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Or people that actually want the correct jerseys...

Did you guys all re-purpose your Ken Anderson’s into Dalton’s as well?? Tongue

No, but I did re-purpose a #12 Neil O'Donnnnellll jersey to say BRADY and then when people ask me what the hell it means I say "Tom Brady plays for the Bengals and he won 12 Super Bowls for them....duh!!!!!!"
Reply/Quote