Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winning
So I was thinking about how other teams win playoff games...all have since we last did. It's routine. Yet here, we've elevated a playoff win to some mythical status...that takes a perfect storm of things to come together.

Well after reading Taylors interviews, winning A SINGLE GAME has elevated to that status. He talks about how we leave a lot of plays on the field and make a lot of errors...and if those didn't happen...we'd win:

When looking at the tape against the Raiders, do you wish you would have run the ball more often?

“We had an unbelievable amount of errors on our (naked bootlegs) last night. It was very frustrating. There were some that we thought we had pretty good opportunities on that we made some errors on. The hard part is, there were some times in the fourth quarter where we were thinking, ‘All right, we just need to run the ball.’ We’re running the ball well, and then we get a minus-two, we got in some tough spots there. We need to find the balance of running the ball and staying one step ahead. We can’t just let them tee off on us in the run game. (We needed to) call a play-action or something to get some rhythm. There’s that balance, like there is in any game. We had our opportunities. We drove the ball down to the 20-something yard-line with however-many minutes left to play, so we were doing the things that would have put ourselves in position to win. We just ultimately didn’t get it done, and that was very frustrating.”

https://local12.com/sports/bengals/11-18-zac-taylor-press-conference-transcript-we-dont-want-to-be-0-11-cincinnati-nfl-pro-football-oakland-raiders-ryan-finley
Reply/Quote
The Bungals - Where Winning Counts for Nothing at All, and Losing Counts even Less
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Do you think they dump gatorade on ZT if/when we win our first game? That sounds like a joke, but I've seen way out of it winless teams do that with total sincerity.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 02:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do you think they dump gatorade on ZT if/when we win our first game?  That sounds like a joke, but I've seen way out of it winless teams do that with total sincerity.

I honestly expect Zac in his press conference to give a big 'I told you so to the haters!'

Seems he does that when anything goes good. 'I told you we were close!'

Like winning 1 single game is a great feat.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 02:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Nately120Do you think they dump gatorade on ZT if/when we win our first game?  That sounds like a joke, but I've seen way out of it winless teams do that with total sincerity.

That better not happen; I don't care if it's Week 17.  If the Bengals win a game this season I want Zac Taylor to shake the other head coach's hand and walk to the locker room like he's been there before.  There is no cause for celebration -- even if we beat the Steelers this week.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 02:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Do you think they dump gatorade on ZT if/when we win our first game?  

I do. And I also believe that immediately following the game that Mike will present Zac with a bill for said Gatorade.

Gatorade doesn't grow on trees, son.  Now, come up to the office and tell me who on defense can be converted to fullback. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
[quote='THE PISTONS' pid='799552' dateline='1574184399']
So I was thinking about how other teams win playoff games...all have since we last did. It's routine. Yet here, we've elevated a playoff win to some mythical status...that takes a perfect storm of things to come together.

Well after reading Taylors interviews, winning A SINGLE GAME has elevated to that status. He talks about how we leave a lot of plays on the field and make a lot of errors...and if those didn't happen...we'd win:

When looking at the tape against the Raiders, do you wish you would have run the ball more often?

“We had an unbelievable amount of errors on our (naked bootlegs) last night. It was very frustrating. There were some that we thought we had pretty good opportunities on that we made some errors on. The hard part is, there were some times in the fourth quarter where we were thinking, ‘All right, we just need to run the ball.’ We’re running the ball well, and then we get a minus-two, we got in some tough spots there. We need to find the balance of running the ball and staying one step ahead. We can’t just let them tee off on us in the run game. (We needed to) call a play-action or something to get some rhythm. There’s that balance, like there is in any game. We had our opportunities. We drove the ball down to the 20-something yard-line with however-many minutes left to play, so we were doing the things that would have put ourselves in position to win. We just ultimately didn’t get it done, and that was very frustrating.”

https://local12.com/sports/bengals/11-18-zac-taylor-press-conference-transcript-
we-dont-want-to-be-0-11-cincinnati-nfl-pro-football-oakland-raiders-ryan-finley
[/get us back in the game. That was where the frustration was - on offense. There were a lot of mental errors. There were a lot more than normal this week. We're challenging our guys today to look really hard at themselves. Everybody left a play on the field that was pretty routine - if each guy would have made that play, I think the outcome could have potentially been different.
This has been his line since game. One guy each play. Different guy each play. Not one player. Coaching problem
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 05:18 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That better not happen; I don't care if it's Week 17.  If the Bengals win a game this season I want Zac Taylor to shake the other head coach's hand and walk to the locker room like he's been there before.  There is no cause for celebration -- even if we beat the Steelers this week.

I will be partying like it’s 1999 if we beat the Steelers. Hard to act like we have been there. Does not happen often.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2019, 10:59 PM)chopperbobby Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 02:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So I was thinking about how other teams win playoff games...all have since we last did. It's routine. Yet here, we've elevated a playoff win to some mythical status...that takes a perfect storm of things to come together.

https://local12.com/sports/bengals/11-18-zac-taylor-press-conference-transcript-
we-dont-want-to-be-0-11-cincinnati-nfl-pro-football-oakland-raiders-ryan-finley
[/get us back in the game. That was where the frustration was - on offense. There were a lot of mental errors. There were a lot more than normal this week. We're challenging our guys today to look really hard at themselves. Everybody left a play on the field that was pretty routine - if each guy would have made that play, I think the outcome could have potentially been different.
This has been his line since game. One guy each play. Different guy each play. Not one player.  Coaching problem
Indeed. Basically everyone makes mistakes.
It's like Taylor needs everything to go perfect to win.
Reply/Quote