• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Meetings Reds interested in CF Shogo Akiyama
https://twitter.com/m_sheldon/status/1204524926880772096

Don't know anything about him ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Here's another they've shown interest in:

https://www.mlb.com/breaking-news/reds-outfield-search

Angels RF free agent Kole Calhoun. Seems like more of a platoon bench type to me.
Reply/Quote
"What was unknown before yesterday was what kind of contact it would take to sign him. Bruce Levine of 670 The Score in Chicago, where the Cubs are also showing interest in Akiyama, notes that the 31-year-old outfielder is seeking a 2-year deal worth $10M. That feels like a much lower ask than I would have thought, by quite a bit. If that’s the true asking price it almost feels like a deal without any risk at all, and one with plenty of upside, too.

A left-handed hitter, Shogo Akiyama has posted an on-base percentage between .385 and .419 every season since 2015. In the last three years he’s also upped his power output. And perhaps something that isn’t valued enough by some of us – he’s played every single game for Seibu since the start of the 2015 season. For a team that’s in need of finding more baserunners, this could be a valuable add if the scouts believe his skills would translate."

https://redlegnation.com/2019/12/12/the-reds-shogo-akiyama-and-wrapping-up-the-winter-meetings/
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
https://redlegnation.com/2019/10/23/could-the-reds-finally-land-a-japanese-player-2020-provides-options/

"One of those players is free agent Shogo Akiyama. How does he fit for the Reds? Well, he’s a center fielder currently. And Cincinnati could be in the market for one of those thanks to the position flexibility of Nick Senzel, who could slide to second base if the team found the right center fielder. In the last five seasons with Seibu he’s hit .321/.399/.497. Last season he hit .303/.392/.471. In that stretch he hasn’t missed a game.

To put into context what that line means, the league hit .252/.326/.392 as a whole in 2019. But his team hit .265/.344/.428 – leading the league in OPS by 40 points. Their pitching staff was also dead last in ERA – by 0.30. These two things may suggest that the home ballpark favors hitters (they were first in OPS and last in ERA in 2018 as well).

Shogo Akiyama is certainly a standout hitter among the league. And in the past he’s been known to be a good defender, too. But he’ll be 32-years-old in April and his speed and defense seem to have been moving in the wrong direction. This is an area where you’re going to want to lean on your scouts that have watched the league. While the Reds haven’t had a player from Japan, they do have a presence there and are actively scouting.

If there’s a chance that he can still handle center field, this is the kind of target the Reds should be seeking. Akiyama looks like he’d be a good hitter (not a great one) and fill a spot of need. But if he’s going to be a corner outfielder, things get a lot less rosy. The bat doesn’t play nearly as well there, and the Reds have options in the corner outfield spots that can’t slide elsewhere on the diamond like they do in center."
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 01:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: "What was unknown before yesterday was what kind of contact it would take to sign him. Bruce Levine of 670 The Score in Chicago, where the Cubs are also showing interest in Akiyama, notes that the 31-year-old outfielder is seeking a 2-year deal worth $10M. That feels like a much lower ask than I would have thought, by quite a bit. If that’s the true asking price it almost feels like a deal without any risk at all, and one with plenty of upside, too.

A left-handed hitter, Shogo Akiyama has posted an on-base percentage between .385 and .419 every season since 2015. In the last three years he’s also upped his power output. And perhaps something that isn’t valued enough by some of us – he’s played every single game for Seibu since the start of the 2015 season. For a team that’s in need of finding more baserunners, this could be a valuable add if the scouts believe his skills would translate."

https://redlegnation.com/2019/12/12/the-reds-shogo-akiyama-and-wrapping-up-the-winter-meetings/

Sounds good to me. The Reds need guys who can not only get on base but get home. Votto can get on base but he runs like a 65 year old man. We're gonna need baserunners in front of Suarez, Aquino, and Moose. I so hope they move Votto down to 6th or 7th.
Reply/Quote
He’s older but has potential. Hasn’t he essentially only been a Triple A player though? He hasn’t played in the bigs yet, how much will his numbers fall off? It seems like Free Agency is full of question marks. They do have to gamble to improve, hopefully they land on someone that produces!
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 01:52 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He’s older but has potential. Hasn’t he essentially only been a Triple A player though? He hasn’t played in the bigs yet, how much will his numbers fall off? It seems like Free Agency is full of question marks. They do have to gamble to improve, hopefully they land on someone that produces!

For sure

I just don't have a lot of faith in the Winker, Ervin, and whoever else platoon. We have to get more production from the outfield on a regular basis ! This one guy is hot in May and another is hot in August and that's all we get just ain't cutting it. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 02:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: For sure

I just don't have a lot of faith in the Winker, Ervin, and whoever else platoon. We have to get more production from the outfield on a regular basis ! This one guy is hot in May and another is hot in August and that's all we get just ain't cutting it. 

Don’t forget the other two guys too. That whole outfield is a bit g question mark. Bell is a huge question mark also. Hopefully he ditches that little league, every position player must get into every game plan. He burns the bench way too soon. He wasn’t a good manager in year one. I’ll root for him to change and improve but I’m not very optimistic that he will evolve into a good manager.
Reply/Quote
Don't know why some of you don't like Winker. His only issue is staying healthy. When he plays he is among the best.

his .845 OPS over the last three years ranks 12th among all major league outfielders (min 700 ab)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/season_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&as=result_batter&offset=0&type=b&min_year_season=2017&max_year_season=2019&min_season=1&max_season=-1&min_age=0&max_age=99&is_rookie=&lg_ID=lgAny&lgAL_team=tmAny&lgNL_team=tmAny&lgFL_team=tmAny&lgAA_team=tmAny&lgPL_team=tmAny&lgUA_team=tmAny&lgNA_team=tmAny&isActive=either&isHOF=either&isAllstar=either&bats=any&throws=any&exactness=anymarked&pos_7=1&pos_8=1&pos_9=1&games_min_max=min&games_prop=85&games_tot=&qualifiersSeason=nomin&minpasValS=502&mingamesValS=100&qualifiersCareer=nomin&minpasValC=3000&mingamesValC=1000&c1criteria=AB&c1gtlt=gt&c1val=700&c2criteria=&c2gtlt=gt&c2val=&c3criteria=&c3gtlt=gt&c3val=&c4criteria=&c4gtlt=gt&c4val=&c5criteria=&c5gtlt=gt&c5val=1.0&c6criteria=&location=pob&locationMatch=is&pob=&pod=&pcanada=&pusa=&orderby=onbase_plus_slugging&number_matched=1

And he has been very consistent from year to year. .904 in '17, .836 in '18, and .830 in '19.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 07:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know why some of you don't like Winker.  His only issue is staying healthy.  When he plays he is among the best.

his .845 OPS over the last three years ranks 12th among all major league outfielders (min 700 ab)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play-index/season_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&as=result_batter&offset=0&type=b&min_year_season=2017&max_year_season=2019&min_season=1&max_season=-1&min_age=0&max_age=99&is_rookie=&lg_ID=lgAny&lgAL_team=tmAny&lgNL_team=tmAny&lgFL_team=tmAny&lgAA_team=tmAny&lgPL_team=tmAny&lgUA_team=tmAny&lgNA_team=tmAny&isActive=either&isHOF=either&isAllstar=either&bats=any&throws=any&exactness=anymarked&pos_7=1&pos_8=1&pos_9=1&games_min_max=min&games_prop=85&games_tot=&qualifiersSeason=nomin&minpasValS=502&mingamesValS=100&qualifiersCareer=nomin&minpasValC=3000&mingamesValC=1000&c1criteria=AB&c1gtlt=gt&c1val=700&c2criteria=&c2gtlt=gt&c2val=&c3criteria=&c3gtlt=gt&c3val=&c4criteria=&c4gtlt=gt&c4val=&c5criteria=&c5gtlt=gt&c5val=1.0&c6criteria=&location=pob&locationMatch=is&pob=&pod=&pcanada=&pusa=&orderby=onbase_plus_slugging&number_matched=1

And he has been very consistent from year to year.  .904 in '17, .836 in '18, and .830 in '19.

Seriously ?

I really don't care about OBS or ABC or XYZ or any other analytical crap. I care about the time honored results.

In his 3 seasons he has 96 RBI's, granted they're not 500 AB seasons but still. Last season his batting average dropped 30 points from previous 2. He finished with 38 RBI's. 

But here's the real kicker, he can't hit lefties ! Last season he batted .163 against them with 0 doubles, 0 triples, 0 HR's and 2 RBI's. With 2 outs last season he batted .247 with 1 HR and 12 RBI's, he's not very clutch.

We've got to have more, better, clutch hitting and production from a corner starting OF.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 07:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know why some of you don't like Winker. His only issue is staying healthy. When he plays he is among the best.

And he has been very consistent from year to year. .904 in '17, .836 in '18, and .830 in '19.
Like Bengals74 is saying, his splits aren’t very good and his speed and Defense aren’t very good either. I think he’s a platoon player.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 01:00 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Like Bengals74 is saying, his splits aren’t very good and his speed and Defense aren’t very good either. I think he’s a platoon player.

Right

He's more of a bench type, rotate in every once in awhile to spell guys. Not a regular everyday starter. Could this change ? Sure he's still young. But at this point he's just not a 150 game a year starter. Not a gut we can rely on to drive in runs.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2019, 07:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't know why some of you don't like Winker.  His only issue is staying healthy.  When he plays he is among the best.

And he has been very consistent from year to year.  .904 in '17, .836 in '18, and .830 in '19.

To quote an old carpet salesman in Dayton from the 60s and 70s, "I don't care about making money, I just LOVE to sell carpet."  I think you watched too many Harry's Corner commercials as a kid Fred.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 11:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: To quote an old carpet salesman in Dayton from the 60s and 70s, "I don't care about making money, I just LOVE to sell carpet."  I think you watched too many Harry's Corner commercials as a kid Fred.. 

I thought that was Ron Jeremy. And it wasn’t sell carpet, it was munch carpet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 11:25 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I thought that was Ron Jeremy.  And it wasn’t sell carpet, it was munch carpet

Spent much time in the gutter lately? 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 11:31 AM)grampahol Wrote: Spent much time in the gutter lately? 

Not enough

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 11:52 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Not enough

Come to South Carolina. It's pouring down cold rain now.. I'm sure you'd enjoy the gutters.. 

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 12:24 PM)grampahol Wrote: Come to South Carolina. It's pouring down cold rain now.. I'm sure you'd enjoy the gutters.. 

I prefer my gutters warm and moist. Not cold and wet. I expected more from South Carolina. Chill out

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2019, 11:19 AM)grampahol Wrote: To quote an old carpet salesman in Dayton from the 60s and 70s, "I don't care about making money, I just LOVE to sell carpet."  I think you watched too many Harry's Corner commercials as a kid Fred.. 

I was a bigger fan of Kash Amburgey.

"Save cash with Kash!"
Reply/Quote
Winker would be a fine candidate to play first base or DH if the Reds had a need for either. He's largely a defensive liability in the outfield. If the team could manage to bring in Akiyama or Ozuna, I'd try to send Winker to an AL team via trade.
Reply/Quote