Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Wisconsin Supreme Courts Flips Liberally
Janet Protasiewicz has beaten Daniel Kelly in a landslide. This gives liberals a 4-3 majority, and the first liberal majority in 15 years. This is huge for Wisconsin politics as the court is set to hear a case over whether the state abortion ban is legal as well as the potential to reverse congressional/legislative maps that were drawn up with Republican favorability in mind. 
Reply/Quote
We'll see how many residents move out of state due to the liberal policies which fail.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 08:45 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: We'll see how many residents move out of state due to the liberal policies which fail.

Florida is going to need to build a wall to keep all the pasty Wisconsin conservatives out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 08:45 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: We'll see how many residents move out of state due to the liberal policies which fail.

9 of the 10 poorest states are dominated by conservative policies.  7 of the 10 richest states are liberal.   

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

You're not completely wrong.  Many people are moving and we're seeing that shift in places like Florida being bright red and some northern states getting more blue.

Of course I've always been of the opinion of stay and try to advocate for change.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 09:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: You're not completely wrong.  Many people are moving and we're seeing that shift in places like Florida being bright red and some northern states getting more blue.

Of course I've always been of the opinion of stay and try to advocate for change.

Meh, people are free to move...it's the new Oregon Trail with the same ol' school diseases since anti vaxxers have gone mainstream!  Maybe it's overblown, but there are signs we could be looking at more migrations as laws aiming to incarcerate doctors or teachers are getting steam in red states and Wisconsin had the gall to give their SC a 4-3 liberal slant.

The idea of a Wisconsin dairy farmer selling his farm so he can move his family to the sunburn-iest part of Florida is amusing, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 09:42 PM)GMDino Wrote: You're not completely wrong.  Many people are moving and we're seeing that shift in places like Florida being bright red and some northern states getting more blue.

Take a look at what's going on in Georgia.  It's turning blue and getting more blue.  I know around 20 liberals who have moved to both Atlanta and Savannah that were originally from Ohio for their careers. 
Reply/Quote
And since in Wisconsin the Republicans don't believe in honoring the citizens vote, are already talking about impeaching the new justice. Unfortunately, all it will take is a majority vote of the Republican supermajority

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 10:31 PM)pally Wrote: And since in Wisconsin the Republicans don't believe in honoring the citizens vote, are already talking about impeaching the new justice.  Unfortunately, all it will take is a majority vote of the Republican supermajority

Wisconsin has gone red once in the past 35 years of the post-Regan era and the idea that their SC has a 4-3 democratic lean is being treated like some sort of miscarriage of justice.

And I'm no political strategist, but immediately moving to impeach someone who literally just won by 10+ points doesn't strike me as the sort of thing that is going to woo voters back to your side.  It's like running over your ex wife's new boyfriend and saying "Well, now she has to come back to me!"
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2023, 09:11 PM)pally Wrote: 9 of the 10 poorest states are dominated by conservative policies.  7 of the 10 richest states are liberal.   

What a weird way to say "9 out of 10 lowest cost of living states are dominated by conservative policies.  7 of the 10 highest cost of living states are liberal"

Note: I'm assuming there's a direct correlation between the two.  I'm just not in the mood (sleepy) to look it up. 
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 01:10 AM)basballguy Wrote: What a weird way to say "9 out of 10 lowest cost of living states are dominated by conservative policies.  7 of the 10 highest cost of living states are liberal"

Note: I'm assuming there's a direct correlation between the two.  I'm just not in the mood (sleepy) to look it up. 

I got you fam.

https://wisevoter.com/state-rankings/poorest-states/#:~:text=The%20ten%20poorest%20states%20in,as%20the%20District%20of%20Columbia

There's a little button at the top to show the least poor states as well.
Reply/Quote
So, this isn't just about the abortion case, either. One of the things with Wisconsin is that they have been reliably left-leaning for quite a few years in statewide elections. However, the conservative dominated legislature has gerrymandered the shit out of the electoral map meaning they have made it that they will maintain their power in the legislature. This has been a steady theme in conservative politics, i.e. making their areas less democratic in general. This has the potential to alter the course of events for that as well.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 09:17 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, this isn't just about the abortion case, either. One of the things with Wisconsin is that they have been reliably left-leaning for quite a few years in statewide elections. However, the conservative dominated legislature has gerrymandered the shit out of the electoral map meaning they have made it that they will maintain their power in the legislature. This has been a steady theme in conservative politics, i.e. making their areas less democratic in general. This has the potential to alter the course of events for that as well.

Look for the same thing in North Carolina where the woman who ran as a Democrat in a red district changed parties already.  The gop has a super majority now so I'm willing to bet they will redistrict everything to keep it that way.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 09:23 AM)GMDino Wrote: Look for the same thing in North Carolina where the woman who ran as a Democrat in a red district changed parties already.  The gop has a super majority now so I'm willing to bet they will redistrict everything to keep it that way.

I am just baffled by the continued efforts to reduce the power of the people by (primarily) one party and the way so many people just continue to fall in lockstep with them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 06:57 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I got you fam.

https://wisevoter.com/state-rankings/poorest-states/#:~:text=The%20ten%20poorest%20states%20in,as%20the%20District%20of%20Columbia

There's a little button at the top to show the least poor states as well.

Ok so there is a direct correlation, thanks.  :)

Surprised to see DC on that list.  Politicians struggling to manage their own back yard I guess.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 01:10 AM)basballguy Wrote: What a weird way to say "9 out of 10 lowest cost of living states are dominated by conservative policies.  7 of the 10 highest cost of living states are liberal"

What you have is not aphantasia it's prosopagnosy.

Nothing with the topic though.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 09:17 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, this isn't just about the abortion case, either. One of the things with Wisconsin is that they have been reliably left-leaning for quite a few years in statewide elections. However, the conservative dominated legislature has gerrymandered the shit out of the electoral map meaning they have made it that they will maintain their power in the legislature. This has been a steady theme in conservative politics, i.e. making their areas less democratic in general. This has the potential to alter the course of events for that as well.

Gerrymandering, it's all monkey see, monkey do. 
Both sides have made headway in only about 5-6 states where they were already dominate. The rest of the states were pretty much a No-gain for either party.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 10:28 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Gerrymandering, it's all monkey see, monkey do. 
Both sides have made headway in only about 5-6 states where they were already dominate. The rest of the states were pretty much a No-gain for either party.

I think the issue is that the Wisconsin GOP cranked it up to a level that couldn't be ignored as business as usual.  They flew too close to the sun on this one. 
Reply/Quote

only 2 of the poorest states are also on the lowest cost of living states

only 1 rich state repeats on the highest cost of living top 10....Alaska...a red state

Too often people focus on the cost of living in cities, due to housing costs, and fail to consider how much more inexpensive it is to live in suburban or rural areas of these large states.  For example, California gets dinged on city housing costs, taxes, and gas but is counter balanced by lower the cost of healthcare, food, rural housing, and consumer goods.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 10:34 AM)pally Wrote: only 2 of the poorest states are also on the lowest cost of living states

only 1 rich state repeats on the highest cost of living top 10....Alaska...a red state

Too often people focus on the cost of living in cities, due to housing costs, and fail to consider how much more inexpensive it is to live in suburban or rural areas of these large states.  For example, California gets dinged on city housing costs, taxes, and gas but is counter balanced by lower the cost of healthcare, food, rural housing, and consumer goods.

With all the low cost of living love you'd think Fox News or Twitter would move their HQs to Rosedale Mississippi.  
Reply/Quote