Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With All These Interviews What Is The Magic Words?
(01-02-2019, 10:47 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They were really impressed with Marv's knowledge of the Org when he interviewed. So that person would need to do a lot of homework on how they operate, and present a vision based on that.

That would be easy: Promising success until August 5, 1991......then a steaming pile of horsesh*t after that. That about sums it up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Does anyone here really believe that McDaniels would even visit? My guess is this would be a no out of the gate.

I like the prospect of young, new system, but really think in the back of my mind- structure, firm rules, tight ship.

It would not break my heart to grab McCarthy and have him clean this up while there are still pieces to work with.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
Latest:  Mike Brown at press conference announcing Bengals new 2019 HC:

[Image: 1394832492000-MARVINPRESSCONFjs0356.jpg?...1&fit=crop]

When asked what is with the circus of events this past week? Mike only looked at Marvin and said "Marvin"?

Marvin looked at the press as new/returning HC with a simple gesture...

[Image: lewis1.jpg]

*giggle* *giggle* *giggle*
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 10:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They're unlikely to release the transcripts of the interviews... Cool

As with any interview, if you've never done one, you like to be impressed with how knowledgeable and organized the person is. How they carry themselves and how well they articulate their points are key too. Lastly, you usually get an overall feel about a person after interacting with them for a short period of time. 

I'd guess that's how the interviews will go and they'll pick the one they like best?

A good question to ask for any interview when looking for a lead-type role is asking how someone has motivated others in the past, giving specific example(s).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
let me see your 23&me results
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 10:51 PM)GodFather Wrote: The past few days Ive been reading about all the interviews that are lined up and wondered one thing. What is the magic words the Bengals want to hear from these potential head coaches that will make them rise above the rest?

Do they already have their favorites and are looking for confirmation with an interview or are they looking for someone who will sell the program they want to implement to the Bengals that will bring the city a Super Bowl victory?

I think it would be very interesting to see the process unfold with each candidate.

What do you think it will be that will sway Mike Brown and company to hire a head coach?

Candidate:  "I'll work for peanuts."

Mike Brown:  "You're hired!"
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 09:56 AM)Big Boss Wrote: In Mike's defense, he does have quantifiable evidence that a coach can come in here and build a playoff-caliber team despite the perceived restrictions of this franchise.

This is only true when the scouting department nails a few drafts in a row. If they have a few 'miss' drafts this is not the case. A good candidate would ask why the team did not look more outside the draft during weak draft years. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 10:51 PM)GodFather Wrote: The past few days Ive been reading about all the interviews that are lined up and wondered one thing. What is the magic words the Bengals want to hear from these potential head coaches that will make them rise above the rest?

Do they already have their favorites and are looking for confirmation with an interview or are they looking for someone who will sell the program they want to implement to the Bengals that will bring the city a Super Bowl victory?

I think it would be very interesting to see the process unfold with each candidate.

What do you think it will be that will sway Mike Brown and company to hire a head coach?

How cheaply they're willing to do the job for......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Candidate: I will need more coaches
MB: I don't think so
Candidate: I will need more scouts
Candidate: Alright, I will have to pay more for better coaches
Candidate: We will need to clarify Tobin as the GM
MB: i am fine the ways things are
Candidate: The roster sucks in a lot of areas, we will have work to do
MB: We always have lots of comp draft picks to fill the roster
Candidate: Are you sure you actually want to change to a winning environment?
MB: I think about winning every day, especially when the Controller brings me the daily financials
Candidate: Do I have to talk to you every day
MB: Marvin did and I gave him all kinds of good ideas on the roster
Candidate: I prefer to play younger players and develop them
MB: PERFECT! I prefer to pay younger players as they earn less, you are hired!

Reply/Quote
To be serious for a moment there is an inherent conflict between owners on one side and GM/coaches on the other. GMs and coaches know if they don't win they will be replaced. It generally happens much quicker with other teams, an I believe that going forward the next coach will not get as much rope as Marvin because he will not have pulled us out of one of the worst decades by any professional sports team ever. So GM/coaches are more likely to suggest mortgaging the future in order to win today. Owners always have more of s "long" approach. The want to win enough every year to keep the fans coming in. And owners don't have to worry about getting replaced if they have one or two down years.

So I believe the magic words Mike Brown wants to hear is that the new coach wants to develop a long term plan for winning consistently instead of just loading up with big name free agents for one big push for a Championship.

In my opinion it is wise to build through the draft and avoid the free agent market. Free agents are not paid based just on how good they are. They are often paid according to how many players at their position are available when they become free agents and how many teams need a player at their position.

But depending on the draft requires more investment in the scouting department, and when you do build a roster that is close to competing for a championship you have to roll the dice and sing a free agent or two to address particular holes in the roster. And these two points are where Mike really fails.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2019, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To be serious for a moment there is an inherent conflict between owners on one side and GM/coaches on the other.  GMs and coaches know if they don't win they will be replaced.  It generally happens much quicker with other teams, an I believe that going forward the next coach will not get as much rope as Marvin because he will not have pulled us out of one of the worst decades by any professional sports team ever.  So GM/coaches are more likely to suggest mortgaging the future in order to win today.  Owners always have more of s "long" approach.  The want to win enough every year to keep the fans coming in.  And owners don't have to worry about getting replaced if they have one or two down years.

So I believe the magic words Mike Brown wants to hear is that the new coach wants to develop a long term plan for winning consistently instead of just loading up with big name free agents for one big push for a Championship.

In my opinion it is wise to build through the draft and avoid the free agent market.  Free agents are not paid based just on how good they are.  They are often paid according to how many players at their position are available when they become free agents and how many teams need a player at their position.

But depending on the draft requires more investment in the scouting department, and when you do build a roster that is close to competing for a championship you have to roll the dice and sing a free agent or two to address particular holes in the roster.  And these two points are where Mike really fails.

I think Bengal fans would be fine with this approach as long as the team does get better each year and you see a legitimate shot at going all the way. 

It will be interesting to see how much thought on long term winning the front office has when choosing the next HC for the Bengals. This isn't a team that goes through HC every couple of years so the process and decision should very well thought out on the teams future direction. 
Reply/Quote
Haven't read through the whole thread, so if this has already been said, I apologize.

Magic word(s) to interviewer--a good plan.

Magic word(s) to interviewee--control.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

The Magic Words? "Pretty please with sugar on top."
Reply/Quote
From SI:

One nugget to emerge from the Bengals search: Owner Mike Brown’s kids—daughter Katie Blackburn, son-in-law Troy Blackburn and son Paul—have increasingly become more involved in running the team. Or it at least it seems that way to guys going through there. Those four, and personnel chief Duke Tobin, are the ones in the room for the interviews

So Mikey is not even involved

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2019, 09:50 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think the bigger point is what are the Bengals going to say to get their guy? Assuming they are sincere in doing a legit search and not handing the reigns to hue and Vance as dc, I think the perception of working here has been cast. Job security but financially limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, think that is the biggest question and i guess we will have to wait and see how this all goes and who we get in order to have a clue.

(01-02-2019, 10:28 AM)Big Boss Wrote: They aren't wrong, and other people who have this job ranked last or near the bottom are seriously underestimating just how attractive that prospect may be.  Any coaching candidate who looks at Marvin's tenure here can see three things:

1) You can build a playoff caliber team here despite not having a GM, not making a big splash in free agency, and not having an indoor practice facility.  It might be tougher, but Marvin proved you can do it.  There are no if's, and's, and but's about it.  
2) You will be given time here, provided you don't shit the bed completely. 
3) There are enough talented players here that you won't have to do a complete overhaul on day one. They are some missing pieces short of being competitive again right away. 

Sure, other teams might have GMs and might be bigger spenders in free agency, but what does that amount to if you're at risk of being fired after two mediocre seasons?

Great points, lots of reasons a good coach would want to come here.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 03:24 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: From SI:

One nugget to emerge from the Bengals search: Owner Mike Brown’s kids—daughter Katie Blackburn, son-in-law Troy Blackburn and son Paul—have increasingly become more involved in running the team. Or it at least it seems that way to guys going through there. Those four, and personnel chief Duke Tobin, are the ones in the room for the interviews

This is what i love to hear.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 03:24 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: From SI:

That's very encouraging!! 
Reply/Quote
Magic words to get the job is:

"I hate the steelers, ravens and browns, specially Baker Mayfield" in one sentence and BAM! Top of the candidate list he/she goes.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 04:39 PM)sandwedge Wrote: That's very encouraging!! 

More interesting then that now that I think about it - the interviews would be asking what the reporting structure is or will be. Would new coach report to Mikey daily like Merv did? Or reporting to Tobin? Or Katie? Interesting.

Reply/Quote
The new head coach should borrow a phrase from this thread and have it printed up on T-shirts:

"What Is The Magic Words?"
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote