Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With All These Schools Switching Conferences…… The
With these schools switching to the Big 10 and wherever else, will it attract bigger names to schools like Ohio State and make them better able to compete with the SEC?

I know Michigan and Ohio State are too 5 in the nation but it still feels like it’s the SEC and everyone else.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 06:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: With these schools switching to the Big 10 and wherever else, will it attract bigger names to schools like Ohio State and make them better able to compete with the SEC?

I know Michigan and Ohio State are too 5 in the nation but it still feels like it’s the SEC and everyone else.

I don't think so, honestly. If anything, I think USC and Oregon may see a small recruiting boost due to more national exposure. A lot of those PAC-12 games would kick off at 9-10 P.M. central time. They are already big brands and will now see more national exposure throughout the season. However, I really don't think much is going to change in the grand scheme of things. All of these schools are fantastic at recruiting. It's just going to be a lot more difficult to go undefeated for any team in the conference. An in-conference schedule of Michigan/USC/Oregon/Wisconsin is going to be absolutely brutal. 
Reply/Quote
I think in the next 5 years, probably not.

Just 5 years ago I feel like we thought the Pac10 was a stable conference. Things seem to fall apart in these conferences when every team starts sucking leaving only one or two competitive teams. Though, I've got no data to support this thought.

This has also been a thing for as long as I can remember...dating back to the Great Midwest Conference.

Side note: I went to the UC wiki to see what conference they were in before GMC and got distracted by the fact that Nick van Exel wasn't listed as a notable alumni....and also learned douchebag Kelce went there.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I think if anything, we're gonna see more competition for those playoff spots.
And (hopefully) the typical schools like Ohio St, Michigan, Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma appear less frequently in the CFP because of it.

Call me a hater, but I like seeing new teams make it into the CFP. Tired of seeing the same few teams always getting in.

I realize that with the expansion of the CFP to include more teams, we'll see A) plenty more teams start to get in that normally aren't, and B) still see a lot or even all the above-mentioned schools still make it almost every year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 05:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think if anything, we're gonna see more competition for those playoff spots.
And (hopefully) the typical schools like Ohio St, Michigan, Alabama, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma appear less frequently in the CFP because of it.

Call me a hater, but I like seeing new teams make it into the CFP. Tired of seeing the same few teams always getting in.

I realize that with the expansion of the CFP to include more teams, we'll see A) plenty more teams start to get in that normally aren't, and B) still see a lot or even all the above-mentioned schools still make it almost every year.

I still want OSU every year……..

lol

Hopefully the playoff expansion, along with teams switching conferences, makes it more competitive because they know they can get the same exposure as they would in the SEC.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 04:29 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I still want OSU every year……..

lol

Hopefully the playoff expansion, along with teams switching conferences, makes it more competitive because they know they can get the same exposure as they would in the SEC.

I'm not sure if you went to Ohio St or if you are like a majority of Ohio football fans and root for Ohio St because they've been the best college football team in the state for decades. Regardless, if you're from Ohio, I understand why you would root for them.

But for me, I only really root for the school I went to, and that was not Ohio St.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2023, 08:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not sure if you went to Ohio St or if you are like a majority of Ohio football fans and root for Ohio St because they've been the best college football team in the state for decades. Regardless, if you're from Ohio, I understand why you would root for them.

But for me, I only really root for the school I went to, and that was not Ohio St.

When I was little, for some reason, I fell in love with Ohio State. I loved football and it was my dream to go play there. My brother loved Michigan (more for basketball) and our room and Michigan wallpaper and a Michigan beanbag. I wanted to kill myself. 

When I was in my coma (little under three months), John Cooper heard about how die-hard I was and invited me up for a game to be on the sidelines (if/when I ever woke up), but then got fired before I could go.

I'm from the Northern tip of Kentucky and it's considered Greater Cincinnati (we could see the buildings downtown from our backyard growing up), and then lived in Cinci for five months after the wreck in the hospital (7 if you count the two months after that I was there from morning to night in their rehab day program), so I just stayed loving them.

I went to a small D3 college that literally was in our backyard (I could throw a football from my bedroom window onto their football field easily), and our teams always sucked and I just still loved Ohio State. And it wasn't like I was rooting for them because our team sucked, but I just always loved OSU.

(They're better now that they went NAIA and then D2 so they can offer scholarships now because it wasn't a cheap school to go to. Luckily, I got a lot of crippled financial grants and the state paid what they would for an in-state school.)

Anyways, I've been to a few games but still just always dream about if I had played for the scarlet and grey!
Reply/Quote