Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alford cleared waivers
(09-02-2016, 11:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He could be ok and I'm not saying we should just toss him in the trash and be 100% sure he's never going to amount to anything BUT...he is already on a very agonizingly vague path in the NFL.

2015 - he's a rookie and a developmental pick
2016 - he's on the IR and will see 0 game time
2017 - he's still technically a rookie because he's never played meaningful time in the NFL
2018 - it's a contract year...gee, I hope we find out what we have in him!

Anyways, if he sticks around here I can see us spending the next 3 years wondering if he's any good.  Lordy, that's always fun!
In my opinion forget route running and all that he needs to spend tbe next 9 months on the jugs machine....  Learn to catch and the rest will come hopefully With 4.27 speed he can run right by all corners...  But i get what your saying. However i think he deserves a 3rd season or at least they can see if he can catch. If he can catch he could make our offense VERY explosive. But if he is still dropping balls next year. Cut him right away 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 02:43 AM)Jpoore Wrote: In my opinion forget route running and all that he needs to spend tbe next 9 months on the jugs machine....  Learn to catch and the rest will come hopefully With 4.27 speed he can run right by all corners...  But i get what your saying. However i think he deserves a 3rd season or at least they can see if he can catch. If he can catch he could make our offense VERY explosive. But if he is still dropping balls next year. Cut him right away 

What is his football IQ?

It's one thing to run by all the corners, it's another thing to be able to read the defense to know where the ball will be going so you can get to that spot.

Look at Ted Ginn.  His return ability was the only thing keeping him in the league early on, as defensive schemes prevented him from being open over the top.

Once he learned what to do in the Panther's scheme, things changed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 10:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We gave Hawk a pretty damn good one.

I call that on him, picking the Browns must still haunt him.

Sorry Nate, but I am calling revisionist history here.

Everyone in the world expected the Bengals to give him a 2nd round tender which was $2.18m. Instead the Bengals went cheap at the lowest $1.43m tender and predictably he was gone and didn't even count towards a compensation pick (if you tender someone and decline to match an offer, they don't count). $750,000 was all it took to keep him... nobody who had to live on their friend's couch to make it in the NFL at the age of 28 or whatever is going to turn down $13.6m for $1.43m. Let alone when they have a child. So I feel like that's not haunting him at all. He never has to work again after the NFL and his child is taken care of before his even shorter than normal NFL career ends.

Instead he put up 63/824/2 for the Browns and the Bengals enjoyed having Armon Binns, Brandon Tate, and Greg Little starting games for them that year.

The next year they tendered Lamur at the 2nd round level almost certainly due to this situation.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
"The Bengals also waived wide receiver Mario Alford from injured reserve with an injury settlement."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/03/pfts-2016-afc-53-man-roster-cuts-tracker/
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 04:55 PM)OBX Bengal Wrote: "The Bengals also waived wide receiver Mario Alford from injured reserve with an injury settlement."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/03/pfts-2016-afc-53-man-roster-cuts-tracker/

Based on my reading of this, they can still bring him back if both sides agree. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 06:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: With Alford's speed and ability in space alone i would bring him back. These are not teachable traits.

Would like to see Usain Bolt in Bengals stripes !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2016, 09:04 PM)jason Wrote: Probably because he's a scrub.

Thank you.

Another bengal that is a 3rd stinger/PS material that we seem to waste alot of time talking about. In 5 years, he wont be on an NFL roster

(09-04-2016, 02:03 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Would like to see Usain Bolt in Bengals stripes !
Hahaha. Exactly. Speed alone wont make you become a good football player.

On a side note, why hasnt Mike Brown sent all the scouts to track races yet?? 
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 11:04 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: What is his football IQ?

It's one thing to run by all the corners, it's another thing to be able to read the defense to know where the ball will be going so you can get to that spot.

Look at Ted Ginn.  His return ability was the only thing keeping him in the league early on, as defensive schemes prevented him from being open over the top.

Once he learned what to do in the Panther's scheme, things changed.

That is a great point but against teams like say arizona, and denver, who play mostly man to man he could run right by them. That why i think he is worth a third year. But he definitil needs to get new hands more football smarts and better feel for the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2016, 10:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: He can run a route and he can catch, he just cannot do it consistently. 
Hey Alford............hand me your tablet, coach needs to see you. Take it easy man.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 11:29 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Sorry Nate, but I am calling revisionist history here.

Everyone in the world expected the Bengals to give him a 2nd round tender which was $2.18m. Instead the Bengals went cheap at the lowest $1.43m tender and predictably he was gone and didn't even count towards a compensation pick (if you tender someone and decline to match an offer, they don't count). $750,000 was all it took to keep him... nobody who had to live on their friend's couch to make it in the NFL at the age of 28 or whatever is going to turn down $13.6m for $1.43m. Let alone when they have a child. So I feel like that's not haunting him at all. He never has to work again after the NFL and his child is taken care of before his even shorter than normal NFL career ends.

Instead he put up 63/824/2 for the Browns and the Bengals enjoyed having Armon Binns, Brandon Tate, and Greg Little starting games for them that year.

The next year they tendered Lamur at the 2nd round level almost certainly due to this situation.

I was working a job in Pittsburgh with Andrew Hawkins' brother and 2 guys he went to HS with when he got that deal with the Browns and I assure you they were pretty happy for the giant raise and in no way upset that he gave up some sort of guaranteed SB win by going from southern Ohio to the north.

Also in Pittsburgh, I had a student worker (from another job) who went to school with Gio.  Pittsburgh, I tells ya.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 02:03 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Would like to see Usain Bolt in Bengals stripes !

Pretty sure that Olympic Track Star has already been tried by an NFL team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NeheRe00.htm

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 12:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pretty sure that Olympic Track Star has already been tried by an NFL team.

Can you imagine if we had Usain Bolt, Terrell Pryor, Flo Jo, and Salmonize line up at WR?  Also, we could put Robert Wadlow at TE and he would be an unstoppable red zone target.  Get Mike on the phone!!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 12:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pretty sure that Olympic Track Star has already been tried by an NFL team.

Was only joking but thanks, had no idea. 

But he does already ham it up crossing finish line, so he has part of it down. 

Although could not open link for some reason. Was it the Raiders ?

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 01:39 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Was only joking but thanks, had no idea. 

But he does already ham it up crossing finish line, so he has part of it down. 

Although could not open link for some reason. Was it the Raiders ?

I just remember being in Jr. High, and thinking that the guy was just going to light the NFL on fire.  And then, he didn't.  Part of why I wanted to use that example is because so many fans get enamored by blazing speed numbers, and seem to forget that actual football skills are more important.

In the case of Alford, who cares if the guy can run a 4.27 forty?  If the guy can't be in position to catch the ball, and demonstrate the ability to catch the ball on a consistent basis, the team will never have confidence to put him on the field.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote