Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Geno And Dunlap Signed, Will We Go For O-Line FAs?
(08-28-2018, 09:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, they are fantastic at getting after the passer.  However, stopping the run, not so much...

And, don't begin to think that our division rivals haven't taken notice of that little detail.

Which is why the offense needs to jump out first and make them play from behind.....
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Which is why the offense needs to jump out first and make them play from behind.....

So, we're now the Colts, from the Peyton Manning days?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: The NFL as a whole is thin at O line, not sure why people think a bunch of starting caliber lineman are going to flood the market next week.

This ^^^

Again, there is not pool of good O-line free agents to sign. Those players are already on teams. The somewhat decent O-line players that might get released after cuts are going to luck out because there are so many teams in need of players at that position. Several teams have already seen key players in that position get injured and several others have suspect O-line players as well (like the Bengals).  So any decent player that gets cut is probably going to have a lot of choices.  O-line is probably the most in demand position for a lot of teams at the moment.   I guess it will depend if such a player hits the market and if they want to play here (if the Bengals even give said player(s) an offer) as opposed to other teams looking for the same. As I stated in the last thread where this came up, perhaps an older guy with a little gas still in the tank will get cut for a younger cheaper player. Then that might be an option, but again the market for decent O-line players right now is very competitive.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This is great news. I'll admit I was growing a little tired of Big Los because he seemed to sour on the team; but, I'll admit this makes me love him all over again.

I'm thrilled. Not only are they still very productive, it's just a good look for the Bengals to have excellent players spend their entire careers in stripes.

Hopefully Geno continues to add to his HOF resume for a long time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:29 PM)Au165 Wrote: The NFL as a whole is thin at O line, not sure why people think a bunch of starting caliber lineman are going to flood the market next week.

I don't know about a flood, but there may be a guy or two who could upgrade our right side.

I don't know if the guys currently manning those spots are really starting caliber themselves.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Agreed. Still, it's not hard to be better than the guys we've got on the right side of our line. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 09:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, they are fantastic at getting after the passer.  However, stopping the run, not so much...

And, don't begin to think that our division rivals haven't taken notice of that little detail.

I think we should call the 57 yard TD pass on the first play of every game then... Make our opponents play from behind from the get go ... Worked against Buffalo.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 10:44 PM)jason Wrote: I think we should call the 57 yard TD pass on the first play of every game then... Make our opponents play from behind from the get go ... Worked against Buffalo.

Yeah, 50% of the time, it works every time..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:36 PM)Joelist Wrote: With the way the front office has been attacking issues proactively this offseason I wouldn’t put either a waiver wire pickup or a trade beyond them.

Thinking and still hoping this.

Ecstatic about the re-signing Geno and Carlos.    

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Iloka and Lafell should help teams in need.

We do not need a grand slam signing, just one on par with George or Brandon but on OL.

You know, simply serviceable.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I think that the only way they go after potential FAs or trades is if we have a sudden rash of I's on the Oline. (I'm not using the full I word until later) 
Remember, next year we'll have to figure out how to pay one Mr Green and unless the Bengals are buying up all of the Powerball tickets the money probably isn't going to just wash up on shore on the Ohio river in front of PBS..  I'm pretty sure those high paid squeelers don't stash their money upstream in the river either .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I just do not see them signing an O-lineman now. For one thing, there probably aren't going to be any released that are any better than what we have (not counting OGGIE), they would have to learn the system on the fly, and now since they have the Atkins/Dunlap deals done, they have to start looking at Dennard, Dalton and Green.... I really suspect we have our roster, and those on it are already here.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2018, 08:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I just do not see them signing an O-lineman now. For one thing, there probably aren't going to be any released that are any better than what we have (not counting OGGIE), they would have to learn the system on the fly, and now since they have the Atkins/Dunlap deals done, they have to start looking at Dennard, Dalton and Green.... I really suspect we have our roster, and those on it are already here.

We picked up Jeff Faine 12 days before the start of the 2012 season, and he worked out alright. He was a Center too, which would be a more difficult transition than for a RT. You may be right about no upgrades being available, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there is. Talented players get cut for cap purposes all the time. Sometimes a younger/cheaper talent pushes an older/more expensive version off the roster. 

We've seen it ourselves recently. I'm sure Iloka and LaFell would be upgrades to many rosters. We are far from the only team that cuts players like that. We'll just have to see what pops up. If we're lucky, someone good will be there. Totally possible there won't be though.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:12 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: If we do anything, we wait for final cuts. I still don't think we do anything though.

You could cut MJ. I wouldn't.
GREAT PRESENCE. Inside and outside. Works well with the stating D. His experience and ability are NOT going to be easily replaced.

I would give him one more year. HE IS DEFINITELY WORTH IT.
The only reason you release him is if you have too.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote

O lineman will be cut, there's no doubt about it.  The question is are they better than what we have currently? 

We cut George Iloka, Adam Jones and Brandon Lafelle.  A couple of them may be considered "starting caliber" on other teams.  It depends on what the area of need is.  Starting caliber is subjective.  From what I've seen from the right side of our line this year I'd be hard pressed to call any of that starting caliber.  More like it's the best we got for now. 
Reply/Quote
When the cuts come for the last week before the real deal, THERE WILL BE better talent available.
Whether the Bengals can get there first is the question.
The guy from Chicago that Cleveland picked up got POUNDED by the D line. So maybe he wan't a good fit?
We will get several possible players.... YA US
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They just spent a lot of money.  I wouldn't expect any "nice surprises" coming to the OL, any time soon..  Now, that's not to say that if a reliable vet were willing to sign for a very modest contract, that they wouldn't at least try to get some help.  

But realistically, who the hell are we to demand more?  We've seen more out of the Bengals ordinary moves this offseason, than we have in 30 years.  They've made a significant financial investment in Glenn, Brown, Geno, and Carlos.  Made concessions to recover some of that by cutting Adam Jones, Brandon Lafell, and George Iloka.  The only place I see left to gain some cash, without a lot of dead money, would be to part ways with Michael Johnson.  Is the team ready to do that?  I know that plenty of fans on this board think he's still an asset to the team. (I think his time has passed)

Think Sunset is correct as usual, they will wait till cutdown day and maybe sign a reliable vet that gets cut for
financial reasons. MJ sure hasn't shown much at all and is clearly our worst End that is getting paid a lot of
dough for being our worst End. Almost expecting him to get cut next as Sunset says, they sure have done a
great job this Offseason. Almost starting to expect them to do the right thing for once which is crazy.

Sounds like Westerman is in the doghouse and cannot play RG so expecting a Guard if we do pick an O-line
guy up and roll with Hart at RT. Hope he slowly improves under Pollack. He looked much better against the
Bills than he did the Cowboys that is for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2018, 07:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They just spent a lot of money.  I wouldn't expect any "nice surprises" coming to the OL, any time soon..  Now, that's not to say that if a reliable vet were willing to sign for a very modest contract, that they wouldn't at least try to get some help.  

But realistically, who the hell are we to demand more?  We've seen more out of the Bengals ordinary moves this offseason, than we have in 30 years.  They've made a significant financial investment in Glenn, Brown, Geno, and Carlos.  Made concessions to recover some of that by cutting Adam Jones, Brandon Lafell, and George Iloka.  The only place I see left to gain some cash, without a lot of dead money, would be to part ways with Michael Johnson.  Is the team ready to do that?  I know that plenty of fans on this board think he's still an asset to the team. (I think his time has passed)
I agree with your post here.  This has been a good off season of moves as opposed to 2016 and 2017 off seasons.  Let's not forget adding Price who hopefully is a great center here for 10 to 15 years.  I might add, does this mean we now have AJ Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap locked in for a while.  I hope so.  I would love to see these Bengals get to a Super Bowl.  I've seen every Bengal team ever, and these 4 guys are great. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
For the love of Pete, cut MJ. Who knows whether a RG or RT that will upgrade us (which sure as hell wouldn't be hard) might come available. People keep talking about cutting dead weight, and MJ is DONE.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
How much did Moobs sign for? Too bad that he wasn’t on this roster with the new additions.
Reply/Quote