Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Green/Atkins/Dalton's Window Closing......
(01-22-2019, 03:20 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Yeah all these guys are worse than Dalton. What's your point? The Bengals have a mediocre QB and horrendous backups?  

They weren't seen that way on here by quite a few......  Mellow

(01-22-2019, 03:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually the odds are that zac will not have as good of a record as Marvin.  There are more new coaches that are vlosers than winners.

I know this is a shock to some of you but a coach with a winning record is not "the worst".  A winning record is not the floor where things can't get worse and can only get better.

I agree that we have a lot of talent and should show improvement next year if we fill a couple of holes and stay healthy.  But I know enough about the reality of the NFL to realize that Marvin was not so bad that things can only get better.

I'm not saying he was the worst.  I'm saying he was stale, stubborn to a fault, and lacked the necessary creativity to get the team over the hump.  He was in a rut.  Hopefully the new guy is up to the task, we know from 16 years of trying that Marvin wasn't.  I think the guy is a bright, young, energetic, and innovative offensive mind, based on what I've researched on him.  Others do as well, including his current boss.  The last time we brought a similar style of coach was in '84.

(01-22-2019, 03:35 PM)McC Wrote: So this is your latest schtick, going around trying to deflate all hope about the new HC because your man love for Marvin is just that strong that you can't let go?  Pitiful.  Just amounts to trolling at this point.  Maybe you could at least stop telling that lie that you thought Marvin needed to go.

How's it feel to be the last man alive still pimping Merv?

There are more.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:09 PM)Wyche Wrote: They weren't seen that way on here by quite a few......  Mellow

I'm not saying he was the worst.  I'm saying he was stale, stubborn to a fault, and lacked the necessary creativity to get the team over the hump.  He was in a rut.  Hopefully the new guy is up to the task, we know from 16 years of trying that Marvin wasn't.  I think the guy is a bright, young, energetic, and innovative offensive mind, based on what I've researched on him.  Others do as well, including his current boss.  The last time we brought a similar style of coach was in '84.

There are more.....

I'll be it wouldn't take a very big room to hold them all.  Probably a portalet would do.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 03:35 PM)McC Wrote: So this is your latest schtick, going around trying to deflate all hope about the new HC because your man love for Marvin is just that strong that you can't let go?  Pitiful.  Just amounts to trolling at this point.  Maybe you could at least stop telling that lie that you thought Marvin needed to go.

How's it feel to be the last man alive still pimping Merv?

You call it "schtick" I call it "reality".

I agreed that Marvin needed to go, but I was not stupid enough to claim that he was so bad that no matter who took over things would just get better.  People who think an NFL coach with a career winning record was so bad that things have to get better have no grasp on reality.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You call it "schtick" I call it "reality".

I agreed that Marvin needed to go, but I was not stupid enough to claim that he was so bad that no matter who took over things would just get better.  People who think an NFL coach with a career winning record was so bad that things have to get better have no grasp on reality.

Nobody said no matter who took over though......we're talking about the coach we are going to hire.  For example, I wouldn't say that if the hire was Hue Jackson, Ritchie Kotite, Dave Shula, etc.

I'm looking at what has been said about the new hire in regards to his interviews, what peers around the league have said, who is working under, etc.  I would have been just as optimistic if it were Bienemy.  

Marvin's teams always played tight in critical situations, there were issues with adjusting, not tayloring schemes around personnel, etc.  The hope is the new guy won't be so rigid in that regard.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:12 PM)McC Wrote: I'll be it wouldn't take a very big room to hold them all.  Probably a portalet would do.

While there are still a few "Pimping Marvin" only ONE can be the Don Magic Juan Pimp Awards winner and most of us have a good idea of who that would be.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You call it "schtick" I call it "reality".

There you go telling that lie again.  And then making up shit that fictitious people supposedly said.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 02:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess it really depends on the view of the roster and how many holes we have to fill. I don't think this team is very far away from being back to the team that started 8-0 and had the most complete roster in football. Where are holes?

RG, RT
LB

What am I missing? Sure you can make an argument about some of the other spots, but the skill positions are in great shape if healthy (Mixon, Gio, AJ, Boyd, Ross, Eifert, Ozumah, Kroft)

The secondary is very good
The D-line had some health issues, but I think a lot of the issues last year were with Austin and recovering from that mess. Look at the last few games vs. teams that needed to win (Pittsburgh, SD) and the defense played good enough to beat the "elite" teams.

It sure would be nice to sign an impact free agent (Mosley at LB) and draft a some stud O-linemen. This isn't that hard of a fix.

That’s a mighty big if wrt TE. You pretty much have to assume Eifert will miss at least some games, then we’re a Kroft or Uzo injury away from being extremely thin at TE again. It definitely took its toll on our offense this year.

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 04:34 PM)McC Wrote: There you go telling that lie again. 

Stop making this personal.  Flapdoodle like that will ruin this place.

It is possible to both want Marvin gone and still be realistic about his replacement.  Neither our new HC nor OC have ever even been a coordinator before.  It takes a massive leap of faith to just assume that a winning record is the floor for these new guys with zero experience.
Reply/Quote

Remember a month or two ago when you had this week long rant over the word reality ?
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2019, 06:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Stop making this personal.  Flapdoodle like that will ruin this place.

It is possible to both want Marvin gone and still be realistic about his replacement.  Neither our new HC nor OC have ever even been a coordinator before.  It takes a massive leap of faith to just assume that a winning record is the floor for these new guys with zero experience.

Okay.  Let me put it this way--stop saying you wanted him gone and then turning right around and saying silly things to defend him.  He did a goood job for awhile and then he didn't.  That sums up his entire career here, so please just leave it at that and move on,  We know how you feel.  You've expressed it ad nauseam and nobody really wants to hear it any more. 

And stop trying to piss on the campfire.  Is it really too much to ask for anyone to be hopeful without you having to come in and rain all over everything?

Seriously, enough is enough with you being  MOMA.

Reply/Quote