Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
With Mixon out time to evaluate other RBs.
I have always been a big fan of Gio, and at the time we gave him this last big contract I was not really that upset.  Taylor was coming from a team that was built on the running game, but had problems when Gurly broke down at the end of both the '17 and '18 seasons.  So I assumed they were going to give Bernard enough touches to keep Mixon from wearing down.  Even though Gio did not get a lot of carries last year he did play close to half of the offensive snaps (42.2%) which helped keep Mixon fresh.

This year Bernard is playing less than a third of the snaps.  He is on pace to have his best receiving season since 2017, but he only has 12 carries in 6 games.  As much as I like him as both a player and a person, he is just getting paid too much for what he is contributing.  He is getting paid $4.1 million which makes him the 17th highest paid RB in the league this year and will make the same in 2021.

So with Mixon out for this Sunday's game I hope they give a good look at Treyveon Williams.  I am a big SEC fan and I was really impressed with what he did at Texas A&M.  Most people know that he led the SEC in rushing in '18 (1760 yds, 6.5 avg), but he was also a good receiver with 66 receptions over his 3 year career (27 with a 10.3 avg his final season).  He was known as an alpha leader and even though he looks small (5'8") he is powerful (208 lbs) and was noted as a very good pass blocker.  He has decent speed (4.5 forty) and athleticism.  He is not especially shifty and won't dazzle people with fancy moves, but has good vision.  I think he can be a very effective RB at the NFL level.

We also have Samje Perine who was a 4th round Pick for the Redskins.  He was also a big star in college (1713 yds, 6.5 avg Oklahoma in '14).  He holds the NCAA single game rushing record (427 yds and 6 tds against Kansas in '14) but he is much bigger now (240 lbs) than he was back then.  His rookie season ('17) he rushed for over 600 yards and had 22 receptions, but over the next two years he was released by both Washington and Miami.  He does not have the speed (4.65) of Williams but he has decent hands as a receiver.  He looks to be more of just a power back.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams take as many snaps as Gio on offense. We use Gio quite a bit on special teams.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 12:05 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams take as many snaps as Gio on offense. We use Gio quite a bit on special teams.

Also to keep Gio fresh for the third down package as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 12:37 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Also to keep Gio fresh for the third down package as well.

Some people projected Williams to be a "third down back" in the NFL because he was not very big, but a good receiver and pass blocker.
Reply/Quote
One reason I am impressed with Williams is that he scorched Tennessee in a big game back in 2016.

Both teams were 5-0 and ranked in the top ten when they met. Alvin Kamara had 127 rushing yards, 161 receiving yards and score 3 tds for UT. But Williams had 217 rushing yards and A&M won in double overtime.

Another thing I did not realize until I started researching these stats was that Williams had 11 kick off returns for the aggies (24.1 avg)
Reply/Quote
I wish we had kept that big back we had during TC. We stuck with Perine who outside his rookie season has done absolutely nothing.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 01:29 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wish we had kept that big back we had during TC. We stuck with Perine who outside his rookie season has done absolutely nothing.

Jaques Patrick?

He is still on our practice squad.

Maybe the will activate him for Sunday.  Isn't there some strange rule this year about how they can brings guys up from the PS for just one game?
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 01:29 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I wish we had kept that big back we had during TC. We stuck with Perine who outside his rookie season has done absolutely nothing.

Perine has terrible vision or feel for running lanes. Just slams into the back of Oline men then falls down. Patrick is the exact opposite, one of his best attributes is his vision and finding holes.

Granted Perine is a solid ST player and that’s what keeps him on rosters.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Jaques Patrick?

He is still on our practice squad.

Maybe the will activate him for Sunday.  Isn't there some strange rule this year about how they can brings guys up from the PS for just one game?

Let me @employee96 and see if we can get the depth chart lol
Reply/Quote
Jacques Patrick was a back-up RB on a shitty Florida Sate team last year. He averaged 3.5 on 108 carries.

I don't think he is the answer at RB. He would have to be an amazing ST player to even see the roster.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 03:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Jacques Patrick was a back-up RB on a shitty Florida Sate team last year. He averaged 3.5 on 108 carries.

I don't think he is the answer at RB. He would have to be an amazing ST player to even see the roster.

Well, shitty team should give you a clue to why he fizzled out at the end of his college career, combined with sharing carries with Cam Akers. I wouldn’t argue Patrick should be a lead back getting 20 carries a game, but he would provide more for the running game than Perine.

It would probably be more accurate to cite what Patrick did in the XFL last year, than his last season at FSU which had the 118th out of 120 rated offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always been a big fan of Gio, and at the time we gave him this last big contract I was not really that upset.  Taylor was coming from a team that was built on the running game, but had problems when Gurly broke down at the end of both the '17 and '18 seasons.  So I assumed they were going to give Bernard enough touches to keep Mixon from wearing down.  Even though Gio did not get a lot of carries last year he did play close to half of the offensive snaps (42.2%) which helped keep Mixon fresh.

This year Bernard is playing less than a third of the snaps.  He is on pace to have his best receiving season since 2017, but he only has 12 carries in 6 games.  As much as I like him as both a player and a person, he is just getting paid too much for what he is contributing.  He is getting paid $4.1 million which makes him the 17th highest paid RB in the league this year and will make the same in 2021.

So with Mixon out for this Sunday's game I hope they give a good look at Treyveon Williams.  I am a big SEC fan and I was really impressed with what he did at Texas A&M.  Most people know that he led the SEC in rushing in '18 (1760 yds, 6.5 avg), but he was also a good receiver with 66 receptions over his 3 year career (27 with a 10.3 avg his final season).  He was known as an alpha leader and even though he looks small (5'8") he is powerful (208 lbs) and was noted as a very good pass blocker.  He has decent speed (4.5 forty) and athleticism.  He is not especially shifty and won't dazzle people with fancy moves, but has good vision.  I think he can be a very effective RB at the NFL level.

We also have Samje Perine who was a 4th round Pick for the Redskins.  He was also a big star in college (1713 yds, 6.5 avg Oklahoma in '14).  He holds the NCAA single game rushing record (427 yds and 6 tds against Kansas in '14) but he is much bigger now (240 lbs) than he was back then.  His rookie season ('17) he rushed for over 600 yards and had 22 receptions, but over the next two years he was released by both Washington and Miami.  He does not have the speed (4.65) of Williams but he has decent hands as a receiver.  He looks to be more of just a power back.

i see the opposite. we paid Gio but have unplayed him.. how about we feed/pass him the ball over 20 times and see what we get
Reply/Quote
Whatever happened to hurt dude from oklahoma?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 05:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Whatever happened to hurt dude from oklahoma?

Joe Mixon signed an extension in preseason.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 05:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Whatever happened to hurt dude from oklahoma?

He was released this past offseason. Really unfortunate, as he was a talented player.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always been a big fan of Gio, and at the time we gave him this last big contract I was not really that upset.  Taylor was coming from a team that was built on the running game, but had problems when Gurly broke down at the end of both the '17 and '18 seasons.  So I assumed they were going to give Bernard enough touches to keep Mixon from wearing down.  Even though Gio did not get a lot of carries last year he did play close to half of the offensive snaps (42.2%) which helped keep Mixon fresh.

Save your breath, the Bengals are not going to pass the ball to runningbacks regardless of how good they (Mixon, Williams, Bernard) can catch the ball.. the Bengals should just get rid if all their good players so we can see their full potential. Imagine seeing Gio with Brady, Mixon with Rodgers...or Ross in KC... the Bengals a joke and I'm a joke for being a fan..
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
I'm excited to see Gio back in the lineup. I'm a big fan of his effort and his ability to block on passing downs. I'm assuming we might see more screens to utilize his pass catching abilities. Hopefully we go deeper into the backfield and find a gem.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 07:01 PM)mhbsavant Wrote: Save your breath, the Bengals are not going to pass the ball to runningbacks regardless of how good they (Mixon, Williams, Bernard) can catch the ball.

WTF??

The Bengals are throwing to their RBs more than almost every other team in the league.  We are the only team with 2 of the top 20 RBs in targets.  Mixon is 10th with 26 and Gio is 19th with 20.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2020, 03:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i see the opposite. we paid Gio but have unplayed him.. how about we feed/pass him the ball over 20 times and see what we get

We already know what we have with Gio.
Reply/Quote

I like the idea of a bigger back at least splitting the carries with Gio.  The Browns don't have the best LB corps and I like the idea of pounding them and giving Burrow more play action.  I hate the idea of having him sitting in the pocket all day and getting lit up by their pass rushers, so that is likely what the Bengals will do.

In all seriousness, I hope the RBs show some energy today.  
Reply/Quote