Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
With Trey out move to a 3-4
This is a total panic move that lacks any sense.

The Bengals have 10 DL on the roster and six LBs on the roster, two of which are pretty much ST.

You want to sit more DL and activate all six LBs to try and out scheme Tom Brady by forcing the entire defensive team to adopt a new strategy, 14 weeks into the season.

That's a hard pass.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 06:33 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Not sure ADG is considered a big/strong LB at 6'2 and almost 30 pounds lighter than our 2 starters?  

Im also not sure any team is going to throw Brady a big curve ball?  I do know that trying to switch the base defense in one week is a recipe for disaster with multiple responsibilities being missed and compound those with Brady? No thanks.

We have an excellent defense with many variations including a 3 man rush.  Brady is not as scary as Mahomes, he definitely does not like pressure up the middle thus Reader and Hill having a big game could be the difference maker.

Au165 made some excellent points.

Agree, changing the base on short notice is a recipe for disaster.  Just stick with what's been effective, maybe send a few blitzes early to get Brady off his comfortable spot.  A bit of Logan Wilson up the gut, add in some Mike Hilton from the edge, should be enough to keep Tampa's OL guessing.  Besides, I was reading that it's doubtful that Whirfs is even going to play, so that kind of negates the advantage they might have had if Hendrickson is out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bucs don't have any DB's that are worth a darn right now. Burrow will carve them up if he gets Higgins and or Boyd back.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 06:36 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: That's why you'd put ADG on the edge in an under look b/c he is 30 lbs lighter.  With us being # 30 out of 32 in team sacks, this is an area where we need to improve and this is the week to do it. 

We have a very good pressure rate.  I don't see how much success a 225 pound guy playing against offensive tackles would improve our sack numbers?  No player in the top of the sack leaders is anywhere near 225 pounds... ADG is a cover LB, we dont even blitz him very often.  I do not understand why you think this guy is all of a sudden Lawrence Taylor?

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 06:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We have a very good pressure rate.  I don't see how much success a 225 pound guy playing against offensive tackles would improve our sack numbers?  No player in the top of the sack leaders is anywhere near 225 pounds... ADG is a cover LB, we dont even blitz him very often.  I do not understand why you think this guy is all of a sudden Lawrence Taylor?

More like a Von Miller roll.  VM is 6'3 240.  ADG 6'2 230.  Just an idea here, it could work. 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 07:02 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: More like a Von Miller roll.  VM is 6'3 240.  ADG 6'2 230.  Just an idea here, it could work. 

Von Miller is a Hall Of Famer.

ADG is a career backup for a reason.

Methinks we have a KC fan here that joined up after the AFC Championship game and wants to put out ridiculous threads to make Bengals fans look stupid.

Prove me wrong.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 07:02 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: More like a Von Miller roll.  VM is 6'3 240.  ADG 6'2 230.  Just an idea here, it could work. 

Bud you are comparing ADG, who has started 3 games in 3 years with a half of sack in his career, to a Hall of Famer.  There are so many tiers between Miller and ADG, this isnt really reality.

Von Miller:

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 07:15 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Von Miller is a Hall Of Famer.

ADG is a career backup for a reason.

Methinks we have a KC fan here that joined up after the AFC Championship game and wants to put out ridiculous threads to make Bengals fans look stupid.

Prove me wrong.

Ha ha Nope, been a Bengals die hard since the late 70s bro and second generation season ticket holder! 

I just think in order for us to get to the next level we need to get our game sack average up, b/c right now we're in the league's basement.  Maybe we just don't have the personnel to do it and I'm reaching to find that player-- that's why we discuss things here.   Although, I do think this is the week to try something new due to Tampa's rushing numbers and Trey being out.  

Another thing I'm thinking about is, Ossai has had this recurring shoulder injury since his days at Texas and he may not be 100%. Cam Sample plays the other side and backups Hubbard and is still a question mark, and the jury is still out on Gunter.  So what are we gonna do if these guys can't get the job done?  
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 07:25 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Ha ha Nope, been a Bengals die hard since the late 70s bro and second generation season ticket holder! 

I just think in order for us to get to the next level we need to get our game sack average up, b/c right now we're in the league's basement.  Maybe we just don't have the personnel to do it and I'm reaching to find that player-- that's why we discuss things on here.   Although, I do think this is the week to try something new due to Tampa's rushing numbers and Trey being out.  

Our defense does pretty well with pressures but we are very good at gap control and pocket containment.  These may not be as important with Brady but our defense is built to stop the run and limit running QBs such as Lamar Jackson, Watson, Mahomes, Pickett and hopefully Josh Allen.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 07:35 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Our defense does pretty well with pressures but we are very good at gap control and pocket containment.  These may not be as important with Brady but our defense is built to stop the run and limit running QBs such as Lamar Jackson, Watson, Mahomes, Pickett and hopefully Josh Allen.

I agree with that.

Another thing I'm thinking about is, Ossai has had this recurring shoulder injury since his days at Texas and he may not be 100%. Cam Sample plays the other side and backups Hubbard and is still a question mark, and the jury is still out on Gunter.  So what are we gonna do if these guys can't get the job done?  
Reply/Quote

No offense brother, but this just may be the reach of all reaches.  Those two couldn't have been cut from different cloth more obviously..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 07:37 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I agree with that.

If Ossai is out Gunter will have to step up and maybe we see Carter slide outside....?

Reply/Quote
I think we will see Hendrickson in action with a club. It has more area to bat down passes, too.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 08:50 PM)Interceptor Wrote: I think we will see Hendrickson in action with a club. It has more area to bat down passes, too.

Lou stated he doesnt like guys playing with a club??? Donovan Smith cannot contain Trey and with Wirfs out we could really apply some pressure from the outside.

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 10:53 AM)PhilHos Wrote: No. Too much effort and not enough time to make drastic changes to our defense. We will be okay without Hendrickson. I'm confident other guys will step up and/or Lou will scheme around Hendrickson's absence.

Even though I would like to see more of ADG on Defense, I agree. Not the time to change what we are doing. Ossai, Sample and Gunter
can fill in no problem for Hendrickson from what I have been seeing of them. Our interior OL and Hubbard are playing elite right now and
just did it against one of the best OL's in the league in the Stains. DJ and BJ are the best interior in the NFL right now, this will help out 
our young Ends.

Love our 5-2 looks honestly and it fits while playing a passing team like the Bucs. Stop the run and cover like mutha's, just like we did 
against the Stains.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 08:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: If Ossai is out Gunter will have to step up and maybe we see Carter slide outside....?

I've thought of that but still with Brady being a pocket passer, and his release just as fast as Burrow's, I don't think pressure and gap control will matter much.  Maybe we can get a few coverage sacks and an INT or two. 

I agree our defense will be great when facing Allen and Jackson in January, but we're playing arguably the best pocket passer of all time.   That's why I want to see us get after him early with different looks and blitz packages. 
Reply/Quote
We play a 3-4 or 5-2 with Hendrickson already. If anything we would be playing more 4-3 without Hendrickson.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If Trey doesn't play this week what makes folks think he'll play again for the next 6 weeks?

It's not soft tissue; it's a bone, it's broken, it'll be broken next week and the week after that.

I fully expect to see Trey out there this week.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 09:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If Trey doesn't play this week what makes folks think he'll play again for the next 6 weeks?

It's not soft tissue; it's a bone, it's broken, it'll be broken next week and the week after that.

I fully expect to see Trey out there this week.

He be clubbin' then...

Rational point Bfine.
Reply/Quote
No need to make any drastic changes
Reply/Quote