Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With even average coaching and management we should start winning playoff games...
We've seen the stats. Most of the NFL has won 5+ playoff games since we last won one.

So that also means that with even average coaching and average management, we should be able to start winning playoff games right?

MB kept Marvin because it could get worse...but it can also get better. And I tend to think that it will get better by hiring more modern coaches and by not building a team to compete with the 96 Steelers! (We need mobile LB's who can cover passes, not run thumpers who are slow for instance.)

I'm excited to see who the assistants end up being...but hopefully they are modern NFL guys!
Reply/Quote
I saw a tweet yesterday that says with management the way it is here, we either need to hit the lottery on a QB or a Head Coach to win.

A new, modern coach is buying a lottery ticket.
Reply/Quote
I agree, atleast now we will have a shot. Taylor is young and innovative and that is what we needed here. It got stale under Marv and the game passed him by and he didn't see it, still see the blank stare. Need fast cover backers that can tackle and need to be dominant in the trenches to win in this league to go along with creativity on both sides of the ball and of course you need to know how to adjust.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 03:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, atleast now we will have a shot. Taylor is young and innovative and that is what we needed here. It got stale under Marv and the game passed him by and he didn't see it, still see the blank stare. Need fast cover backers that can tackle and need to be dominant in the trenches to win in this league to go along with creativity.

I feel like stale is a good term to use.

After a HC loses 3-4 playoff games without winning 1 it's time for a change. I feel like subconsciously the players expect to lose. Same with big games. Same with games against the Steelers. It's mainly mental.
Reply/Quote
The chiefs are 1 and 12 in their last 13 playoff games
Reply/Quote
"With even average" coaching and management?

Mediocre Marv was about as average as one could get. Finished his tenure just over .500.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 03:50 PM)TrevBengal Wrote: The chiefs are 1 and 12 in their last 13 playoff games

They've atleast won 1. 28 years = 0 wins for us.

We're bound to start winning them.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 03:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like stale is a good term to use.

After a HC loses 3-4 playoff games without winning 1 it's time for a change. I feel like subconsciously the players expect to lose. Same with big games. Same with games against the Steelers. It's mainly mental.

I agree Pistons.  It seems like the FO is now beginning to move forward.  Finally.  You couple that with a forward thinking HC, and we may just catch that lightning in a bottle that Sam Wyche caught 30 years ago.  The times, they are a changing.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 03:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree Pistons.  It seems like the FO is now beginning to move forward.  Finally.  You couple that with a forward thinking HC, and we may just catch that lightning in a bottle that Sam Wyche caught 30 years ago.  The times, they are a changing.

Well so I have a theory. The 90's was just an outlier. Really bad. Inept drafting. Bad coaches.

Then Marvin gets here and we become average. And management loves it because we're not 3-13 every year.

Now, here's where it went south. Other teams fire coaches in 4-5 years for no playoff wins and repeat that. So they eventually win playoff games over time. Law of averages. Change enough things enough times and you eventually find something that works.

Here, we refused to make a change fearing the 90's again. The 90's are an extreme outlier for any franchise. Unlikely to happen if you draft well.
Reply/Quote