• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf's 2019 Pre-Combine Mock Draft
I typically post three mocks a year.
Pre-Combine
Post-Combine
Final Mock

So, here's my Pre-Combine.

Round 1: Devin White, LB. LSU
The Bengals desperately need a linebacker to be a difference maker. Devin White is one of the most athletic linebackers in the draft. He's a true sideline to sideline player. He has the speed to shoot gaps and go through with little resistance due to how fast he hits it. That strength may be in part due to the fact that he was actually recruited as a running back. Sound tackler who wraps up fully and takes good angles. He can navigate through blockers and sustain gap control. He has a knack to where the ball carrier is going. Would have liked to see him do more zone coverage, but he certainly has the speed to play zone or man. Possesses a non-stop motor and takes no plays off. He just has a knack for the football, seems that almost every play I watched with LSU on defense, he was around the ball. White seems to really KNOW football. Definitely could be the leader on defense we need.

Round 2: Dalton Risner, OT/G. Kansas State
Risner is an extremely polished lineman who has great technique. He's a mauler and plays with a nasty streak. Tremendous run blocker and has been a difference maker every year as a starter. Risner is impactful at the point of attack, disrupting defenders first moves and making them rely on their second move. While Kansas State hasn't gone against the greatest competition, Risner has always stood out on the offensive line. He had a very good Senior Bowl and many could see his stock rise with the NFL Combine. He can play right tackle and has the tools to play on the interior. He may not be elite by any means, but he's technically sound in all facets of his game. Would improve the offensive line day 1.

Round 3: Caleb Wilson, TE. UCLA
The Bengals have had major injury problems in the tight end department. Over the past three years, their top three tight ends have missed a combined 55 games. Caleb Wilson is an exceptional receiving talent and can elevate the quarterbacks play. For a tight end, he runs extremely smooth routes and deceptively quick. While he may not possess elite speed, he has enough to create separation in the seams where he does most of his damage. As a blocker, there are some things he will need to clean up such as pad level and lower body strength. His hand technique when engaging is fine, though. He also has a very nice catch radius. Wilson has some things to refine in his game, but he could be a very valuable tight end in this league.

Round 4: Ben Burr-Kirven, LB. Washington
Ben Burr-Kirven is a player I absolutely love. He's explosive to the ball, has great closing speed, displaces blockers, and has the ability to quickly shed blocks due to the blocker not being able to touch him. He sometimes will play too fast and make wrong angles, and he's also under-sized for a linebacker; but he's a tackling machine that has a nose for the ball. Does extremely well in zone coverage. Can bait the quarterback with his eyes and attack suddenly. Great pursuit to the ball. Will probably be used more as a hybrid safety, which is completely fine due to him being an all around good football player. His size is his biggest concern and that's why you're going to see him fall to around the 3-5 round mark.

Round 5: Max Scharping, OT/G. Northern Illinois
Yep, doubling up on offensive line as well. Max Scharping has been an extremely effective lineman throughout his entire career. He controls the defender with his hands and has a great base which allows him to keep balance. However, would like to see a better kick step out of him. He also doesn't always move the defender backwards, but rather neutralizes them. Great anchor on him, has great strength. May struggle a little bit with speed stunts but overall he's extremely effective as an RT and may be even better moving him inside.

Round 6A: Albert Huggins, DT. Clemson
Little late with getting a defensive tackle, but I could see Huggins become a decent rotational player on this defensive line. He's quick off the line of scrimmage and has the ability to move around the blocker if he so chooses. While getting limited playing time in Clemson and also testing positive for a performance enhancing drug, he has shown flashes of a great athlete. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Huggins' stock rises after the draft. He could be a gem in this class.

Round 6B: Darius Slayton, WR. Auburn
Not exactly the best route runner, but a vertical threat and has great athleticism. Wins a lot of jump balls and has certainly improved on that aspect of his game. He has the ability to win one on one matchups down the field. Slayton isn't going to beat you with his route running by any means, but he certainly can by running by you and beating you on a jump ball.

Round 7: Soso Jamabo, RB. UCLA
I like his name.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
That would be outstanding. Personally I think White will be gone by the time we pick, but it's a pick I'd be happy with. The other spots are all solid, too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What a time for John Madden to be departed. Could you imagine him calling a game, where Soso Jamambo scored? "His name is Soso, but he just Jumamboed his way past 4 defenders, en route to a score.".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 09:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What a time for John Madden to be departed.  Could you imagine him calling a game, where Soso Jamambo scored?  "His name is Soso, but he just Jumamboed his way past 4 defenders, en route to a score.".

Sounds like something Dave Lapham would say....god he annoys the crap out of me.

As for the mock, I like it.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 08:53 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I typically post three mocks a year.
Pre-Combine
Post-Combine
Final Mock

So, here's my Pre-Combine.

Round 1: Devin White, LB. LSU
The Bengals desperately need a linebacker to be a difference maker. Devin White is one of the most athletic linebackers in the draft. He's a true sideline to sideline player. He has the speed to shoot gaps and go through with little resistance due to how fast he hits it. That strength may be in part due to the fact that he was actually recruited as a running back. Sound tackler who wraps up fully and takes good angles. He can navigate through blockers and sustain gap control. He has a knack to where the ball carrier is going. Would have liked to see him do more zone coverage, but he certainly has the speed to play zone or man. Possesses a non-stop motor and takes no plays off. He just has a knack for the football, seems that almost every play I watched with LSU on defense, he was around the ball. White seems to really KNOW football. Definitely could be the leader on defense we need.

Round 2: Dalton Risner, OT/G. Kansas State
Risner is an extremely polished lineman who has great technique. He's a mauler and plays with a nasty streak. Tremendous run blocker and has been a difference maker every year as a starter. Risner is impactful at the point of attack, disrupting defenders first moves and making them rely on their second move. While Kansas State hasn't gone against the greatest competition, Risner has always stood out on the offensive line. He had a very good Senior Bowl and many could see his stock rise with the NFL Combine. He can play right tackle and has the tools to play on the interior. He may not be elite by any means, but he's technically sound in all facets of his game. Would improve the offensive line day 1.

Round 3: Caleb Wilson, TE. UCLA
The Bengals have had major injury problems in the tight end department. Over the past three years, their top three tight ends have missed a combined 55 games. Caleb Wilson is an exceptional receiving talent and can elevate the quarterbacks play. For a tight end, he runs extremely smooth routes and deceptively quick. While he may not possess elite speed, he has enough to create separation in the seams where he does most of his damage. As a blocker, there are some things he will need to clean up such as pad level and lower body strength. His hand technique when engaging is fine, though. He also has a very nice catch radius. Wilson has some things to refine in his game, but he could be a very valuable tight end in this league.

Round 4: Ben Burr-Kirven, LB. Washington
Ben Burr-Kirven is a player I absolutely love. He's explosive to the ball, has great closing speed, displaces blockers, and has the ability to quickly shed blocks due to the blocker not being able to touch him. He sometimes will play too fast and make wrong angles, and he's also under-sized for a linebacker; but he's a tackling machine that has a nose for the ball. Does extremely well in zone coverage. Can bait the quarterback with his eyes and attack suddenly. Great pursuit to the ball. Will probably be used more as a hybrid safety, which is completely fine due to him being an all around good football player. His size is his biggest concern and that's why you're going to see him fall to around the 3-5 round mark.

Round 5: Max Scharping, OT/G. Northern Illinois
Yep, doubling up on offensive line as well. Max Scharping has been an extremely effective lineman throughout his entire career. He controls the defender with his hands and has a great base which allows him to keep balance. However, would like to see a better kick step out of him. He also doesn't always move the defender backwards, but rather neutralizes them. Great anchor on him, has great strength. May struggle a little bit with speed stunts but overall he's extremely effective as an RT and may be even better moving him inside.

Round 6A: Albert Huggins, DT. Clemson
Little late with getting a defensive tackle, but I could see Huggins become a decent rotational player on this defensive line. He's quick off the line of scrimmage and has the ability to move around the blocker if he so chooses. While getting limited playing time in Clemson and also testing positive for a performance enhancing drug, he has shown flashes of a great athlete. However, it wouldn't surprise me if Huggins' stock rises after the draft. He could be a gem in this class.

Round 6B: Darius Slayton, WR. Auburn
Not exactly the best route runner, but a vertical threat and has great athleticism. Wins a lot of jump balls and has certainly improved on that aspect of his game. He has the ability to win one on one matchups down the field. Slayton isn't going to beat you with his route running by any means, but he certainly can by running by you and beating you on a jump ball.

Round 7: Soso Jamabo, RB. UCLA
I like his name.

No issues with this draft at all.  I would even call it "The Unsexy Draft", because we don't need flash...we need football players that are tough and physical.  
Reply/Quote
That would be a great draft!
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2019, 08:53 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Round 7: Soso Jamabo, RB. UCLA
I like his name.

I wonder if he'll be good, or just so-so

all jokes aside very good mock, ideal first 2 rounds 3rd rd I go back and forth between TE or WR, I mean our depth at both is suspect
Reply/Quote
Great Mock Wolf, cannot complain about one pick. Love getting Risner in the 2nd and Wilson in the 3rd.

This is just the way i would go about this Draft while adding someone like JuWaun James in FA along with a Linebacker like KJ Wright, Hicks or Fort. I know that seems like overkill with your LB's too but it is needed. But who knows if we bring in a damn good LB coach and he coaches up some of the guys we already have and these rookies.
Reply/Quote