Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf's Post-Combine Mock Draft
I have risen from the ashes, it's been so long since I've posted on these boards. Hope you're all doing well.

Anyway. Mock Draft time:

Round 1: Joe Burrow, QB
Joe Burrow is the future. He's an extremely accurate passer who puts the balls in spots his guy can make a play. His placement is top notch and he plays with great anticipation. An underrated trait is that he throws the ball in s pot where it leads the receiver to gain more yardage. Joe Burrow has amazing pocket awareness and keeps his eyes down the field. Joe Burrow does SO many things extremely well when it comes to being a quarterback. His biggest knock is not having elite arm strength, but that's play because literally everything else he does makes up for it. There's going to be question marks if this is just a one year wonder, but he had arguably the greatest season for a quarterback. The tape he's put out is astounding this year and he's battled week in and week out. Heck, even last year to end the season he went 6 games without throwing an interception. There's a lot to like about Burrow's tape.

Round 2: Patrick Queen, LB
I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals went offense here, but with so many wide receivers showing off at the combine and the NFL going more offensive, Queen may slip through the cracks. If he does, Bengals will jump all over him. He's a sideline to sideline linebacker who can diagnose plays quickly and get to the ball. Because of his speed and recognition, he can hit the gap before a blocker can get there. He does struggle to get off of blocks and has shown he will wait for blockers to come to him, but that can be improved with over time due to him being a one year starter. Queen could be the face of the Bengals defense for years to come.

Round 3: Isaiah Wilson, OT
There are some concerns at the offensive line unit, and that includes health questions. Isaiah Wilson is a huge boom-bust player. Wilson has shown flashes where he straight up mauls opponents and attacks with ferocity. He can uproot the opponent with ease and essentially take over that play. His size, speed, and strength are all on the elite side. However, his technique leaves much to be desired. He can sometimes get off balanced, and while he does have quick feet, that won't save him in the NFL when it comes to recovering. Wilson has the tools to be very good in the NFL, it's up to the coaching staff to get him there.

Round 4: Thaddeus Moss, TE
The Bengals wait until round 4 to give Burrow a new toy, but it's one he's familiar with. Moss has some incredible hands and won some heavily contested passes. He will have to work on his footwork speed going in and out of routes, but Moss showed he's powerful and can win one on one. He does alright as a blocker as well, his hand placement isn't great but if he does it right, he is a good blocker. There's room for Moss to grow and he could end up being the Bengals #1 TE as time goes on. He's a dependable catcher who will see throws go his way on 3rd down and red zone trips.

Round 5: Bryan Edwards, WR
This is a hopeful pick, but hey it's the draft, players slip. Edwards is a poor man's AJ Green. He is less athletic and needs to work on his route running, but he certainly has the production you want out of a bigger receiver. He can keep his hands down and the suddenly pop them up to make a catch, making it harder for defenders to know when the ball is coming. Edwards is also a very physical player and can beat you to the ball. He needs to polish some aspects of his game, but he can contribute early on.

Round 6: Trey Adams, OT
Now I've seen Adams mocked to go in round 3, I've seen him fall to 6. Assuming he's here, the Bengals absolutely need to take a chance on this guy. The Bengals took Wilson who lacks technique, meanwhile Trey Adams has amazing technique. Adams is always balanced and quickly where he needs to be, even when pulling. He can move well and attack with his hands. There are durability questions and some may even want to move him inside. If Adams can remain healthy, he may end up being a wild card to be a starter.

Round 7: Sage Lewis, LB
Quick linebacker who can go sideline to sideline. Fast hips and can change direction. Didn't go against top end talent sadly, but I think he is someone the Bengals could/should give a chance in the 7th round.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Hey Wolf, long time no see. Cool

Good to see you back. ThumbsUp

To the Mock, I love every pick but Queen as I have said to other folks around here who have us taking him in the 2nd. Queen
was a late round pick before the College football playoffs, he has so little production besides these games and like you said he
is not good at shedding blocks and like the rest of our LB's is not a great tackler.

I would take him in the mid rounds if he fell, but I like Murray, Buan and even Gaither better than Queen.

Good job, I just hope we get a LB in FA and if this happens I would draft Grant Delpit in Queen's place or Baun as I don't see
Murray making it to 33.
Reply/Quote
Probably one of my favorite Mocks I have seen. Love addressing LBs and O-Lineman early and then doubling down.
I keep seeing WRs mocked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Assuming AJ is being tagged, the Bengals are rolling out
Green, Boyd, Ross, and Tate as 1-4, which is pretty solid imo. Also love seeing TE addressed. I do not think DB is as bigger need if the FO resigns Dennard, Wilson, and FAs
Reply/Quote
Why does everyone think we are going to draft multiple lineman? I really dont think they are drafting more than one lineman th it s year and it could come late. I'm good with picks 1,2 and 5, but other than that unless they get several extra picks I'd expect them to find another CB, LB and maybe even another DL to help Atkins play fewer snaps
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 11:48 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Why does everyone think we are going to draft multiple lineman? I really dont think they are drafting more than one lineman th it s year and it could come late. I'm good with picks 1,2 and 5, but other than that unless they get several extra picks I'd expect them to find another CB, LB and maybe even another DL to help Atkins play fewer snaps

I think part of the reason we draft a few linemen is because I don't expect Glenn to be around.  That along with the activity in last year's draft trying to move up in round 2 to get a RT makes me think it's still a focus for the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 11:34 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think part of the reason we draft a few linemen is because I don't expect Glenn to be around.  That along with the activity in last year's draft trying to move up in round 2 to get a RT makes me think it's still a focus for the team.

Plus we usually do Draft a couple O-lineman especially when it is still a weakness and our picks get hurt all the time.

Drafted a couple last year in Jonah and MJ, Jonah got hurt and couldn't even contribute. We still have holes at Guard and at RT.

FA O-lineman are expensive and I expect us to go after Defense, namely LB and CB.
Reply/Quote
Great mock and glad to have you back.

I have my doubts Queen falls that far after a good Combine though.
4.50 at 229 lbs is perfect in today's NFL.

Maybe Jordan Brooks could be a solid backup plan.
I had Brooks as Rd 3 until he showed out at the Combine.
4.54 at 250 lbs is really good.
I believe someone takes a chance on him in Rd 2.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 02:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Great mock and glad to have you back.

I re-watched the Bama game from last season and that Najee Morris ran all over Queen. 

Was running him over and Queen was whiffing.

Sure didn't impress me, reminded me of our Linebackers, might be better in coverage but Queen will have to gain power and 
muscle and learn how to wrap up when tackling. Find this guy to be a project, not a 2nd rounder.
Reply/Quote
I actually think the best values for the LBs are either the top 2 - Simmons and Murray (unlikely we would get either) and the 3rd tier of LBs like Brooks, Wilson and Dye.

I actually think the last 3 would be great picks in round 3 or later.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 02:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I re-watched the Bama game from last season and that Najee Morris ran all over Queen. 

Was running him over and Queen was whiffing.

Sure didn't impress me, reminded me of our Linebackers, might be better in coverage but Queen will have to gain power and 
muscle and learn how to wrap up when tackling. Find this guy to be a project, not a 2nd rounder.

That was basically halfway through his first season as a starter.
There's a reason he's jumped up boards the past few months.
I watched him making a lot of good plays at the end of the season.

What made you watch Alabama game over Georgia, Oklahoma, and Clemson?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 02:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That was basically halfway through his first season as a starter.
There's a reason he's jumped up boards the past few months.
I watched him making a lot of good plays at the end of the season.

What made you watch Alabama game over Georgia, Oklahoma, and Clemson?

True, he got much better as the season went on.

The Bama game was just right in front of my face and I didn't get to watch it last season.

I saw those games and yes Queen played very good in them, still, small production.

I like Delpit much better if we grab an LSU defender in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
I think my issue is that I don't see the value in drafting a LB at #33. I don't see a difference between a guy like Queen and the next group.

The only guys that I would race to the podium to draft would be Simmons and Murray.
Reply/Quote
Queen is getting mocked more often to the Raiders in the first and Murray goes shortly after.

If they dont find a trade partner to trade down at 33, then taking Gladney or Delpit would be pretty awesome. If they really value AJ Terrel then they could trade down and get him.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 03:14 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think my issue is that I don't see the value in drafting a LB at #33.  I don't see a difference between a guy like Queen and the next group.

The only guys that I would race to the podium to draft would be Simmons and Murray.

Feel the same, hope they go LB in FA or get Brooks, Gaither or Dye in the 3rd or 4th.

(03-12-2020, 04:12 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Queen is getting mocked more often to the Raiders in the first and Murray goes shortly after.

If they dont find a trade partner to trade down at 33, then taking Gladney or Delpit would be pretty awesome. If they really value AJ Terrel then they could trade down and get him.

Hope they keep pimping Queen over Murray and Murray falls to us, that would be sweet.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Feel the same, hope they go LB in FA or get Brooks, Gaither or Dye in the 3rd or 4th.

Hope they keep pimping Queen over Murray and Murray falls to us, that would be sweet.

I totally agree with this!

We need more Sooners on the rosters Tongue
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 05:28 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I totally agree with this!

We need more Sooners on the rosters Tongue

Heck if we don't get proper LB help in FA and we get a 2nd or 3rd for Dalton I would be willing to trade up for Murray.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 02:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Great mock and glad to have you back.

Jordyn Brooks is sort of an enigma to me.  His physical traits are off the chart, yet the "weaknesses" on his scouting report indicate some serious potential red flag issues.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jordan-brooks?id=32194252-4f13-1962-2c2e-fdb174b58eaf

Quote:Strengths
  • Well built with NFL size in good definition
  • Consistent solo tackle totals all four years as starter
  • Quick to diagnose and key the run
  • Sees and sifts through moving bodies in front of him
  • Aggressive downhill attacks in 2019 yielded TFL fruit
  • Skilled at sliding under climbing blocks
  • Impressive instincts to shadow runner and anticipate lane choice
  • Has twitch for swift lateral slide and directional change
  • Runs with speed to chase and capture to perimeter
Weaknesses
  • Failed to rise to the occasion against Oklahoma
  • Gassed in late second quarter by Sooners' pace
  • Loses his run fit at times when working around blocks
  • Needs to attack blocks aggressively to constrict run lanes
  • Finds himself blocked at times despite good reads
  • Needs to school up hands as pre-emptive weapons
  • Gets lost in space in zone drops
  • Lacks fluidity when asked to cover

Despite his negatives looking horrible, his grade of 6.32 projects him to earn a starting job in a year or two.  Do we trust our defensive coaches enough to bring a physical talent like Brooks up to par on things like attacking blocks, using his hands more, keeping him in shape enough to not get gassed in no-huddle situations?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 07:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Jordyn Brooks is sort of an enigma to me.  His physical traits are off the chart, yet the "weaknesses" on his scouting report indicate some serious potential red flag issues.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jordan-brooks?id=32194252-4f13-1962-2c2e-fdb174b58eaf

Despite his negatives looking horrible, his grade of 6.32 projects him to earn a starting job in a year or two.  Do we trust our defensive coaches enough to bring a physical talent like Brooks up to par on things like attacking blocks, using his hands more, keeping him in shape enough to not get gassed in no-huddle situations?

He is an enigma.
Many people praise him on his instincts and athletic traits, but everyone is puzzled how he didn't produce more.
With that said, he was still rather steady year after year (78+ tackles every year).
He's actually had interceptions in college, which Murray (who also played in Big 12) didn't.
Same number of PDs in college as Murray (although 4 years vs 3).
More tackles and TFLs than Murray his senior year (108 - 20.0 vs 102 - 17.0)

He actually reminds me of Germaine Pratt's profile coming out of NC State.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 08:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He is an enigma.
Many people praise him on his instincts and athletic traits, but everyone is puzzled how he didn't produce more.
With that said, he was still rather steady year after year (78+ tackles every year).
He's actually had interceptions in college, which Murray (who also played in Big 12) didn't.
Same number of PDs in college as Murray (although 4 years vs 3).
More tackles and TFLs than Murray his senior year (108 - 20.0 vs 102 - 17.0)

He actually reminds me of Germaine Pratt's profile coming out of NC State.

Yeah, I guess I can see where you would see some similarities.  And, our coaching staff had him looking like he belonged, as the year went on.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/germaine-pratt?id=32195052-4163-5713-12ab-3117ec02a181

Quote:Strengths
  • Has experience at inside and outside linebacker
  • Posted production in all the statistical columns in 2018
  • Controlled stepper in scrape to pursue
  • Plays with adequate short-area stop-and-go movement
  • Backside lateral burst to find playside tackles
  • Play speed to range and chase
  • Above-average reactive twitch to get in on tackles from tough angles
  • Takes pride as a striker and tackle finisher
  • Runs feet and wraps up through contact
  • Times up blitzes and lays into quarterbacks
  • Former safety with fluid, fast drops in space
  • Has ability to cover tight ends
Weaknesses
  • Only one year of starting experience
  • Needs plenty of work with take-on technique, including hand-usage
  • Plays with tight ankles and below-average bend
  • Awkward and upright into contact
  • Not a natural gap-filler
  • Skills to process are underdeveloped
  • Lacks some feel for blocking schemes and play development
  • No awareness for when he's stepping into trap blocks
  • Run fits can feel random at times
  • High pad level limits change-of-direction quickness

The major difference that I notice, is that Pratt was a former Safety and they gave credit for him feeling comfortable dropping into space.  But, some of the run defending questions are quite similar.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I like Brooks Strengths, we will see if he can work on his weaknesses if we select him. I like this LB more than Queen.

Just cause of production.

Also like Baun, Gaither and Dye more than Queen. I just want a LB that can shut down the run and cover.

I think Queen has a lot of work to do shutting down the run and a lot of work to do putting on weight to shut the run down.
Reply/Quote