Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolf's Pre Combine Mock
It's been a very long time since I've last done a mock draft. I've had a lot more free time this year than last year to watch game tape, so this has more thought to it than any of my mocks last year. Let me know what you think.

Round 1: Jaylon Smith, LB. Notre Dame- Pre-injury, Smith isn't even here. Not only is this possible BPA, but it allows the Bengals to plan for the future. Maualuga is getting older, Burfict may be asked to move to MLB after this season, etc. However, Jaylon Smith is just too good to pass up. Smith is quick with his feet, instinctive, and is a sideline to sideline linebacker. One of the hardest hitting linebackers in this draft and consistently would knock the offensive players back. Eyes track the ball very well. Great strides and smooth hips to transition. He checks every box for what you want in a libeacker. Of course, the biggest question is his injury and how long it will take as he still hasn't had surgery. His injury may make him fall, so the Bengals should certainly take him if he's there.

Round 2: Josh Docston, WR. TCU- Yes, I'm going with offense here. Docston has potential to be a very good wide receiver in this league. Has good acceleration off the line and keeps a consistent speed. Amazing hands with numerous acrobatic catches, even bailed out the QB on quite a few throws. Plays well against physical corners, uses his hands. Great body control while in the air to catch a ball. Catches the ball at it's highest point. He can read zone coverage quite well and gets into an open zone to help his quarterback. hands are probably his best attribute, as he can take a hit and still hold on to the ball. Makes defenders pay with YAC. His biggest concern is his weight and how fast he really is. This combine will be huge for him. Don't be surprised if people start thinking of him as a 1st rounder.

Round 3: Austin Johnson, DT. Penn State- Quite possibly the most underrated nose tackle in this draft. Has great size in height and weight. Always hustles and pursues every play, won't give up on a play. Even if engaged in a block he will push the lineman into the gap. Big time bull rusher who often pushed centers back, allowing him to have 75 tackles as an interior lineman. Although not extremely explosive, he uses his hands and effort to beat the lineman. Even though he's a big man, he uses his hands well to shed blockers and locate the ball. He did extremely well against screen passes. His biggest things to work on are pad level and using his arm extensions. Both are issues that can be coached, so not too worried about them.

Round 4: Graham Glasgow, C. Michigan- The Bengals need someone to compete for the starting center job. Bodine has been the weak link on this line, but Glasgow also provides versatility as he has played center and guard. Good lower body strength. Explosive at the point of attack and continues to drive with his lower body. Also has good upper body strength to move blockers away from the gap. Struggles with moving his feet to move the defenders back. Some off the field concerns as he was caught drinking and driving in 2014, he also was caught with alcohol while on probation.

Round 5: Sean Davis, CB/S. Maryland- Ideal size for a cornerback. Although he's a bit raw, he started coming into his own as time went on in Maryland. A sure tackler and a leader at Maryland as he had 298 tackles in 3 seasons. A very good downhill hitter, one of the best cornerbacks in this draft at forcing fumbles. Big hitter. Struggles with back-pedaling and sometimes has stiff hips. Seems to be still learning the position, but is still improving. May be better suited to play safety or even inside corner. Has a knack for being around the ball.

Round 6: Shawn Oakman, DE. Baylor- A huge boom-bust player. He had a bad Senior Bowl week and has struggled as time went on. He has the frame and size you want in a defensive end, but his productivity doesn't match up with his work ethic. Explosive with his entire upper body including his hands. His arm extensions allow him to be in position to disengage and make tackles. Lower body strength is very underwhelming. Struggles with pad level. Needs to better coordinate his lower body with his upper body. Raw, but all his issues can be coached. Lacks pass rushing moves besides bull rush. Raw specimen and his draft is falling, but someone has to take him.

Round 7: Bralon Addison, WR/RB. Oregon- The Bengals need some competition in the return game. With Adam Jones possibly not being back, it could just be between Tate and Alford. Sure, we have other guys we want to return the ball, but who knows. Gives the Bengals a quick player they need and a special teams contributor.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I could definitely live with this if it were to fall this way. I still think someone will take Oakman a lot earlier though so you might need to switch that spot
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2016, 09:22 PM)Crowe Wrote: I could definitely live with this if it were to fall this way. I still think someone will take Oakman a lot earlier though so you might need to switch that spot

There's quite a few spots that could change. Jaylon Smith with his injury timetable. Docston could move up. Oakman has been sliding down, so it's unsure where he will go.

Reply/Quote
I like most of it. However, I'm kinda turned off on drafting OL from Central Michigan. They just don't seem to pan out in the NFL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 01:18 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I like most of it. However, I'm kinda turned off on drafting OL from Central Michigan. They just don't seem to pan out in the NFL.

Glasgow is a center from U of M, not Central Michigan.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Some very good prospects here.

Jaylon's so good, probably good enough for us to break our usual first round tendencies. If they truly believe in letting the board fall to them, this pick would make sense. Question is whether they pay Vinny to be a starter for some God awful reason.
Only issue is drafting two redshirts in a row in the 1st.

Looking forward to seeing Doctson work this weekend.
Reply/Quote
Love this Mock Wolf. Rock On
Reply/Quote
This is a great mock if we re-sign most of our our own FAs, especially our starting safeties. Sean WIlliams is good enough to start, but who else? Darrin Smith shows promise, but I'm not sure he's ready. Still, I like the talent you've drafted here. If Smith falls to us, we can't let him slide, even if he's held out this year.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Good mock. I wouldn't touch Oakman with anything higher than a 4th round pick. I think he's overrated.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Shawn Oakman will not last after 3rd round trust me..

And actually he had a not bad Senior Bowl... He had 2 sacks if I remember correctly and got pressure.

I think he can be molded to be really good, if he uses his physical ability.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
Don't think a lot of these guys will be where you're drafting them (especially the first 3).   But I'd be absolutely thrilled if they were.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 03:58 PM)3wt Wrote: Don't think a lot of these guys will be where you're drafting them (especially the first 3).   But I'd be absolutely thrilled if they were.

So far Smith is falling. Docston easily rose to the 1st round. Austin Johnson could be interesting, he has a lot of Eddie Goldman in him, but not many teams need a NT this year.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2016, 12:18 PM)milksheikh Wrote: Shawn Oakman will not last after 3rd round trust me..

And actually he had a not bad Senior Bowl... He had 2 sacks if I remember correctly and got pressure.

I think he can be molded to be really good, if he uses his physical ability.

I'm also going off of practices. He did not look good on one on ones.

He has potential, yes. But he hasn't produced. His numbers and production has gone down over time. I've seen reports where teams rank him as a 2nd or 3rd day draft pick.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2016, 06:29 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: So far Smith is falling. Docston easily rose to the 1st round. Austin Johnson could be interesting, he has a lot of Eddie Goldman in him, but not many teams need a NT this year.

Looked at some film on Doctson.   He's a really good player - very reliable hands and is a fighter.   If we had to go WR in the 1st I'd be happy with the guy.   He's got enough speed and is just a play maker.  He'd be a nice addition.

We need a run stopper in this draft.   I didn't even think Johnson would be available in the 2nd, but I'm changing my mind.  He might just be there.

Tantalizing players in this draft no doubt.   I'll be interested to see what the Bengals do.  
Reply/Quote
(02-29-2016, 03:43 PM)3wt Wrote:  
Looked at some film on Doctson.   He's a really good player - very reliable hands and is a fighter.   If we had to go WR in the 1st I'd be happy with the guy.   He's got enough speed and is just a play maker.  He'd be a nice addition.

We need a run stopper in this draft.   I didn't even think Johnson would be available in the 2nd, but I'm changing my mind.  He might just be there.

Tantalizing players in this draft no doubt.   I'll be interested to see what the Bengals do.  

I'd be willing to take Docston in the 1st honestly if we were to lose Jones and Sanu. I have him as my #2 WR.

Johnson didn't blow up in the combine and some DTs actually did very well, so his stock might have dropped due to other players being explosive. Wouldn't surprise me if he does fall to the 3rd now.

It will be interesting to see how they go, because they may have quite a few openings depending how the free agency goes. But DT and LB are definitely needs, and there's some nice picks to choose from.

Reply/Quote