Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodworking?
Anyone else here have the woodworking bug?
I started back up with it last year and have built myself a fair woodshop.. I just acquired a nice old craftsman contractors table saw, planes, chisels and so on.. I'm fixing to start working on some baby furniture for a new grandkid on the way soon and built a decent laminated top workbench with tenon and mortise joinery..
I prefer working with hand tools as opposed to power equipment, but I'm not a masochist so I do have a few pieces of power equipment..table saw, drill press, sander, but most of what I enjoy is with a mallet and chisel..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 12:30 AM)grampahol Wrote: Anyone else here have the woodworking bug?
I started back up with it last year and have built myself a fair woodshop.. I just acquired a nice old craftsman contractors table saw, planes, chisels and so on.. I'm fixing to start working on some baby furniture for a new grandkid on the way soon and built a decent laminated top workbench with tenon and mortise joinery..
I prefer working with hand tools as opposed to power equipment, but I'm not a masochist so I do have a few pieces of power equipment..table saw, drill press, sander, but most of what I enjoy is with a mallet and chisel..

I have the best situation. My wife is into woodworking, so I get to buy her saw for gifts. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote:  My wife is into woodworking, 

She certainly enjoys working on my wood.
Reply/Quote
I have built outdoor stuff related to my deck. Picnic table, planter boxes, and just a couple of weeks ago, built a chaise lounge. There is so much info on line nowadays to build things rather easily and even inexpensively.
Reply/Quote
I live in an apartment right now, so not much to do on that front for my own home. I've done a lot of woodwork over the years, though. My dad, who was an all around handy man on top of being a wood carver always had a pretty full shop, and still does. Just now the leukemia is finally wearing him down and he's been carting around oxygen for close to a year and so he can't do all that he used to. I can't bring myself to go down and start working in his shop because, even though I can do so whenever I like, he would either try to help with things he shouldn't or it would make him sad he couldn't help.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 09:01 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I live in an apartment right now, so not much to do on that front for my own home. I've done a lot of woodwork over the years, though. My dad, who was an all around handy man on top of being a wood carver always had a pretty full shop, and still does. Just now the leukemia is finally wearing him down and he's been carting around oxygen for close to a year and so he can't do all that he used to. I can't bring myself to go down and start working in his shop because, even though I can do so whenever I like, he would either try to help with things he shouldn't or it would make him sad he couldn't help.

Sad to know that your father has leukemia.  Who knows, maybe it would be comforting/therapeutic for him to see you making use of his shop and skills that he has taught you?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 09:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sad to know that your father has leukemia.  Who knows, maybe it would be comforting/therapeutic for him to see you making use of his shop and skills that he has taught you?

At some point it may get to that, he has been fighting for 14 years this upcoming November but he is starting to decline more these days and he isn't taking his limitations very well.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 12:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: She certainly enjoys working on my wood.

Well she is a novice so we have her practice with the small woods before taking on the bigger projects.

Reply/Quote
[Image: lLAZZCv.jpg]

The last thing I built was my daughter a playhouse for her birthday. I used to do a lot of small projects (bookcases, chairs, tables, etc), but not much free time any more.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 12:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: She certainly enjoys working on my wood.

I didn't think it would take till post 3 for this to turn dirty.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 02:52 PM)Benton Wrote: The last thing I built was my daughter a playhouse for her birthday. I used to do a lot of small projects (bookcases, chairs, tables, etc), but not much free time any more.

That CT90 is a real time suck, I know.

To the point.  Yeah, I got bit pretty hard a couple of years back.  Just bought my first jointer after coming into a haul of old walnut and osage orange.  Really into framing at the moment, but have plans to make a credenza this summer.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 02:52 PM)Benton Wrote: [Image: lLAZZCv.jpg]

The last thing I built was my daughter a playhouse for her birthday. I used to do a lot of small projects (bookcases, chairs, tables, etc), but not much free time any more.

Should craft a rake.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 04:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Should craft a rake.

Was working on a bit of a deadline, birthday party the day after I got the roof on.

Plus I dont take. That's what the wind is for.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 05:19 PM)Benton Wrote: Plus I dont take. That's what the wind is for.

This is the excuse I use.
I'm like "God put those leaves there ! Who are we to question or attempt to change God's will ?".

My wife doesn't find it humorous, but I think I'm hilarious.
Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 10:42 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: At some point it may get to that, he has been fighting for 14 years this upcoming November but he is starting to decline more these days and he isn't taking his limitations very well.
My dad is 87, just quit driving last year and this year I've taken over giving him and his wife their medicines. He had what amounts to a stroke in his eye so he's nearly blind and moved in with us . It's tough on our parents to give up responsibility they've had for so long and giving up on doing things that gave them pleasure..
I'm sure your dad would be pleased to know that you can build things how you were taught..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 12:30 AM)grampahol Wrote: Anyone else here have the woodworking bug?

Do it for a living some of the time so i have to have power equipment...

Table saws, band saws, skill saws, saws alls, drills, presses, coping saws, etc.

Also have the hand tools but don't do much tenon and mortise joints, thats pretty cool.

I respect the dudes that work the wood naturally. Have to have real sharp tools to do that.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 05:19 PM)Benton Wrote: That's what the wind is for.

After the whole wife into woodworking thing you throw up this softball?
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 03:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Do it for a living some of the time so i have to have power equipment...

Table saws, band saws, skill saws, saws alls, drills, presses, coping saws, etc.

Also have the hand tools but don't do much tenon and mortise joints, thats pretty cool.

I respect the dudes that work the wood naturally. Have to have real sharp tools to do that.

My goal is to build a cabin the old school way, no power tools. I have a tool chest that is at least 160 years old that contains everything I would need to build a building, and all in good shape. My ancestry is all German anabaptist farmers, barn raising and all, and this tool chest was for that and has been passed down. Just need to get the land, money, and time.

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 10:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My goal is to build a cabin the old school way, no power tools. I have a tool chest that is at least 160 years old that contains everything I would need to build a building, and all in good shape. My ancestry is all German anabaptist farmers, barn raising and all, and this tool chest was for that and has been passed down. Just need to get the land, money, and time.

This would be awesome !
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 10:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My goal is to build a cabin the old school way, no power tools. I have a tool chest that is at least 160 years old that contains everything I would need to build a building, and all in good shape. My ancestry is all German anabaptist farmers, barn raising and all, and this tool chest was for that and has been passed down. Just need to get the land, money, and time.

Rare that is. Love it. If you ever get the land, money and time post some pics. Rock On
Reply/Quote