Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodworking?
(06-28-2016, 10:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My goal is to build a cabin the old school way, no power tools. I have a tool chest that is at least 160 years old that contains everything I would need to build a building, and all in good shape. My ancestry is all German anabaptist farmers, barn raising and all, and this tool chest was for that and has been passed down. Just need to get the land, money, and time.

One man building a home with no power tools would take forever.

Plus you have to have some assitance in raising the logs to the top of the walls.

Still sounds like an awesome idea.  Maybe you will have it done in time to live in when you retire.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2016, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: One man building a home with no power tools would take forever.

Plus you have to have some assitance in raising the logs to the top of the walls.

Still sounds like an awesome idea.  Maybe you will have it done in time to live in when you retire.
Pulleys. I once saw a guy raise a bulldozer with nothing but pulleys and steel cable attached to trees. A guy had gotten it stuck clearing a wooded lot. You could pretty easily loft the logs or even a full wall. Or use a lever and fulcrum.

It would still tale you a long time, though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 10:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My goal is to build a cabin the old school way, no power tools. I have a tool chest that is at least 160 years old that contains everything I would need to build a building, and all in good shape. My ancestry is all German anabaptist farmers, barn raising and all, and this tool chest was for that and has been passed down. Just need to get the land, money, and time.
That's a lot of getting those muscles into working shape cutting logs. Strange, you can be in great shape, but certain jobs can still sap your strength and make you feel useless. Folks don't seem to appreciate just how hard people used to work every breathing moment of the day. At one time everything east of the Mississippi river was pretty much old growth forests and they cleared most of it without power equipment. My grandfather was a lumber jack in Canada as a young man.. Tough old bird..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
There are easier ways to acquire a 3/4" x 12" board, but this was a 70" 2x4 this morning.. I used the handy dandy table saw and my handy dandy Horror Freight biscuit joiner and sooner or later it's going to be a side wall of a baby cradle .

[Image: IMG_20160709_204100.jpg]

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2016, 01:05 AM)grampahol Wrote: That's a lot of getting those muscles into working shape cutting logs. Strange, you can be in great shape, but certain jobs can still sap your strength and make you feel useless. Folks don't seem to appreciate just how hard people used to work every breathing moment of the day. At one time everything east of the Mississippi river was pretty much old growth forests and they cleared most of it without power equipment. My grandfather was a lumber jack in Canada as a young man.. Tough old bird..

My grandfather was born in 1879. He claimed that when he was a young man cutting virgin timber in Kentucky they had to bolt together 2 six foot cross cut saw blades in order to cut through some of the trees.

They built dams in the North Fork and the Middle Fork of the Kentucky river to float the logs out because there were no roads.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 10:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I have a tool chest that is at least 160 years old that contains everything I would need to build a building, 

You got about 4-5 illegal immigrants in that tool chest?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2016, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My grandfather was born in 1879.  He claimed that when he was a young man cutting virgin timber in Kentucky they had to bolt together 2 six foot cross cut saw blades in order to cut through some of the trees.

They built dams in the North Fork and the Middle Fork of the Kentucky river to float the logs out because there were no roads.

Damn.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 04:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I didn't think it would take till post 3 for this to turn dirty.

I expected it by post 2.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-11-2016, 07:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You got about 4-5 illegal immigrants in that tool chest?

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I finally grabbed a decent 14" bandsaw on craigslist for $200.. 
I'm planning to see how my skills hold up making chairs. Chair making is pretty advanced stuff depending on how detailed you want to get 
My first chair project is going to be a bar stool type chair for out in the shop made from just simple pine starting out. I thought about a formed seat, but that's a bit of work involved and I don't have the proper tools for those yet, but once I get a plain chair down and can repeat them over and over I'll try my hand at formed seats with hardwoods like oak, maple, mahogany, etc.. 
If that all goes well then it's off to rocking chairs.. Right now I don't own any scorps or inshaving tools.. Just a quick look at one of the tool suppliers I like a decent inshave is around $60 and I've never tried my hand at sharpening and honing one.. 
[Image: 20170419_201204.jpg] One of my latest things just screwing around, a custom towel rack for the bathroom..
Awhile back I built a folding workbench for my son. 
[Image: 20170301_084504.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2016, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: My wife is into woodworking,

Lol - mine too. We are blessed!

Reply/Quote
Well, all of my projects, well most anyway are on hold for awhile because two days ago I was cutting down a bunch of Chinese sumac trees. They're those stink trees that grow everywhere you don't want them to grow, highly invasive species that grow fast..
Anyway, I have a really sharp hatchet I could probably shave with and it managed to glance off and plant itself in my right kneecap and this sucker hurts! 
I'm going to blame Marvin since he seems to be the easiest target on this board although it really is my own goddamned fault.. 
The VA patched me up then just prescribed motrin. They might as well just have given me a bullet to bite on and send me on my way. Not only that, but no antibiotics. This is a 4 inch gash about an inch deep..
Thanks VA. 
On the bright side my 88 year old dad has a ton of painkillers sitting around and I'm not shy about asking for them..
For some reason I'm heading back out to the VA again today. I can barely move my leg. It takes me around 20 minutes to get a cup of coffee.. This ain't cutting it.. 

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2017, 11:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Lol - mine too. We are blessed!

My wife/gf is into being critical about which stains I use on wood. She'd be happy if I just slapped a coat of paint on everything. 
Oh well..It's MY shop, my tools and my wood.  I stain it any damned color I want then let her try to make me feel guilty. 
Hint: it doesn't work..   

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 07:45 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well, all of my projects, well most anyway are on hold for awhile because two days ago I was cutting down a bunch of Chinese sumac trees. They're those stink trees that grow everywhere you don't want them to grow, highly invasive species that grow fast..
Anyway, I have a really sharp hatchet I could probably shave with and it managed to glance off and plant itself in my right kneecap and this sucker hurts! 
I'm going to blame Marvin since he seems to be the easiest target on this board although it really is my own goddamned fault.. 
The VA patched me up then just prescribed motrin. They might as well just have given me a bullet to bite on and send me on my way. Not only that, but no antibiotics. This is a 4 inch gash about an inch deep..
Thanks VA. 
On the bright side my 88 year old dad has a ton of painkillers sitting around and I'm not shy about asking for them..
For some reason I'm heading back out to the VA again today. I can barely move my leg. It takes me around 20 minutes to get a cup of coffee.. This ain't cutting it.. 

Why don't you smoke some of that Chinese sumac?   Cool     That'll make your knee feel better. 

My father is into wood working.  He builds cabinets and bedroom furniture, etc.  He made me and my sister each a bedroom set. He's going to make me either a king sized head board for the new king size bed we are getting or a cedar chest.  He's already made a baby's crib.  He's made all the cabinets in his kitchen, both bathroom vanities, and all the trim.   I wish I could have gotten some of that talent, but it's all over my head.  I consider myself lucky enough just to have woman who likes my wood. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
[Image: http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2...dchuck.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't think Chinese sumac is smokable. I do, however smoke those great non-filtered cigarettes so I'll probably die from lung cancer before my knee gets to bother me in my old age..

Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 09:52 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: My father is into wood working.  He builds cabinets and bedroom furniture, etc.  He made me and my sister each a bedroom set. He's going to make me either a king sized head board for the new king size bed we are getting or a cedar chest.  He's already made a baby's crib.  He's made all the cabinets in his kitchen, both bathroom vanities, and all the trim.   I wish I could have gotten some of that talent, but it's all over my head.  I consider myself lucky enough just to have woman who likes my wood. 

My dad was into woodworking also, but not quite n that scale.

Me and my sister both have some stuff made by him, and every grandchild has a cedar toy chest
Reply/Quote
(05-12-2017, 07:45 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well, all of my projects, well most anyway are on hold for awhile because two days ago I was cutting down a bunch of Chinese sumac trees. They're those stink trees that grow everywhere you don't want them to grow, highly invasive species that grow fast..
Thanks VA. 

Do you mean these?:

[Image: aial3048.jpg]

It's called Tree Of Heaven.  They are indeed considered an invasive species to the US, and they are damn near impossible to kill because the roots shoot out underground runners, while the trees themselves drop seeds everywhere.  Back when she and I were smokers, we had a flower pot on the porch that we used as an ashtray.  Somehow a seed got in there and it sprouted.  Despite putting cigarette out on it, repeatedly, every evening and regularly setting it on fire, and any water getting into the soil of the pot passing through a pound of cigarette butts, I never could get the thing to die...

One lot over from ours, the residents have a 30+ foot one in the back of the lot, so there is no way I will ever be rid of those damn things.
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2017, 06:01 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Do you mean these?:

[Image: aial3048.jpg]

It's called Tree Of Heaven.  They are indeed considered an invasive species to the US, and they are damn near impossible to kill because the roots shoot out underground runners, while the trees themselves drop seeds everywhere.  Back when she and I were smokers, we had a flower pot on the porch that we used as an ashtray.  Somehow a seed got in there and it sprouted.  Despite putting cigarette out on it, repeatedly, every evening and regularly setting it on fire, and any water getting into the soil of the pot passing through a pound of cigarette butts, I never could get the thing to die...

One lot over from ours, the residents have a 30+ foot one in the back of the lot, so there is no way I will ever be rid of those damn things.

The very one and only.. It was introduced in the US as a "valuable shade tree".. I guess value is in the eye of the beholder.. 
To be fair there are more than plenty of worse invasive species of plants, kudzu in the south is unbelievable in certain areas. Another around here is confederate jasmine, but people usually like it because it's so wonderfully fragrant, but it can absolutely take over an area. Our backyard smells great for about 2 weeks every spring. The rest of the year the stuff is a PIA.
If you like mulberry wine you have plenty of those suckers all over Ohio and everywhere else up north.
Although it's seldom harvested it's one of the great woods to work with especially for musical instruments..
If you want real problems with invasive species with root problems check out the bamboo forests that pop up especially here in the south. The species here are generally useless except for maybe making fishing poles..

Reply/Quote
I'm learning why folks think chair making is so difficult. I've been working on a bar stool for out in the shop.
I made the mistake of thinking holding it all together with dowels would be easy. HA! 
I have both sides of this chair put together and now have to try to align 24 separate dowel pins tomorrow all at the same time. 12 on each side with some oddball angles, 2° offset on top, 3° on the bottom. I went with bent rear rails to prevent tipping over towards the back, but that offset angle ain't no walk in the park.. 
All together there are 40 dowels. I have a feeling I'll end up with a much shorter stool than intended just because I doubt that all four legs will touch the ground at the same time ..
Oh well..It's a prototype learning experience anyway.  It's 2x lumber so I don't have a lot invested in it. If it all goes together as planned I'm hoping to move on to better woods and take the time to shape the pieces better. As it is now it's plain straight pine boards for the most part with a lot of rough edges. 
Here's the basic design that uses dominoes to hold things together, but I don't happen to have the cash to spend with the Festool tool company. Their joiner is ONLY $999 ..a 3/8" drill bit? About $1.98. I can afford the drill bit.  
[img] http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q490/atheola/3337-DIY-Bar-Stools-1.jpg
[/img]

Reply/Quote