Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodworking?
So I did get the stool assembled and glued up and everything fit much MUCH easier than I imagined it would. There's just a very slight wobble getting leveled with the floor, no big deal. A little sanding will fix that..
Next step a coat of paint and some padding. 
[Image: 20170524_002805.jpg]

So I'm actually considering doing some charity work,  making simple furniture for people either just getting started or people forced to restart their lives from scratch. It's nothing fancy, inexpensive pine construction, but that way I can afford to build things and give them away. I can build people a decent table and four chairs and material cost for all 5 pieces about $30 plus my labor. The material isn't stuff that anyone should expect to last a lifetime, but the construction will be strong, comfortable and durable for what it is. A nice starter set with minimal finishing to help people get on their feet once in awhile. I'm thinking perhaps 3-4 sets per year and if they ever really get on their feet and want me to buiIld them better furniture later on my name and email address will be on every piece.. 
In case you're wondering, I just can't resist putting stickers on things in inconspicuous places.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, I got the ball rolling today and made some contacts with a few organizations that may distribute the furnishings I build. I might even get lucky and get some materials donated for it. 
Better quality hardwood would be nice, but just nice straight 2x lumber mostly free of knots is fine as well. 
I post a bit to various woodworking forums and beginning to find some others willing to join in. There are a lot of people who do woodworking who have plenty of furniture at home who will make stuff to give away as well. There's a possibility of getting a nationwide group together for this. It's not going to significantly change the world, but it can really help people who are in need. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Finally got around to buying a ripping blade for the table saw instead of overheating my finishing blades..
And bought some really nice 3/8" Tzalam boards, better known as Caribbean walnut. It's beautiful wood ,nice and hard and relatively inexpensive compared to domestic walnut that typically runs around $12 per bf.. 

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2018, 04:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: Finally got around to buying a ripping blade for the table saw instead of overheating my finishing blades..
And bought some really nice 3/8" Tzalam boards, better known as Caribbean walnut. It's beautiful wood ,nice and hard and relatively inexpensive compared to domestic walnut that typically runs around $12 per bf.. 

Man, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Been working on a cabinet with 12 drawers and 3 shelves for the Mrs. There's so many small parts to this thing and other than the cabinet carcass itself which is cabinet grade plywood the rest is Caribbean Walnut which ain't exactly the cheapest wood on the market .
I've reached the point of paranoia that I'm going to make some fatal error that just can't be fixed . I finally got a nice straight 3/8" groove cut down the center for a drawer divider that spans 7 separate plywood drawer separators and everything is slowly coming together, but boy howdy! I'm at the stage where the wrong mistake can really mess things up . I can sit and stare at this thing for hours on end trying to figure out what's next and will it be the fatal one? 
I don't really work from printed plans so every move has to be thought out several moves ahead . Paranoia! It's paralyzing ..

Reply/Quote
(02-04-2018, 06:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Man, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that....

Uh huh .. In the boys locker room in 5th grade?  Lol

Reply/Quote
Been working on a cabinet for the old woman's collection of different tea from around the world and another part that'll be on the top for cups and a teapot..
This has been a long time in the making.  The top will be covered in tzalam (Caribbean Walnut) and the base carcass is white oak.. It'll have 12 drawers in the center section, one larger drawer in the oak base and 3 or 4 open shelves on the top yet to be built .
Still lots and lots to cut, plane, sand ,etc... It's getting there slow but sure..  I probably oughta clean off the work bench one of these days..I'm kind of running out of space for leaving junk laying about .
[Image: poVAUNWmj]

Reply/Quote
In case you're wondering, although you probably aren't Chairman Mow (meow) is usually out in the shop begging for dinner ..
[Image: powyeHGej]

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2018, 07:01 PM)grampahol Wrote: Been working on a cabinet for the old woman's collection of different tea from around the world and another part that'll be on the top for cups and a teapot..
This has been a long time in the making.  The top will be covered in tzalam (Caribbean Walnut) and the base carcass is white oak.. It'll have 12 drawers in the center section, one larger drawer in the oak base and 3 or 4 open shelves on the top yet to be built .
Still lots and lots to cut, plane, sand ,etc... It's getting there slow but sure..  I probably oughta clean off the work bench one of these days..I'm kind of running out of space for leaving junk laying about .
[Image: poVAUNWmj]

If all the drawers are going to be made out of that 1" oak you are going to need a forklift to move that thing.

Nice touch morticing the top.  A lot of people would have had a larger top with an overhang. 
Reply/Quote
[Image: z-funny-pics-64.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2016, 10:26 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: My goal is to build a cabin the old school way, no power tools. I have a tool chest that is at least 160 years old that contains everything I would need to build a building, and all in good shape. My ancestry is all German anabaptist farmers, barn raising and all, and this tool chest was for that and has been passed down. Just need to get the land, money, and time.

That is awesome! You have to see the documentary Alone In The Wilderness. You will love that if you havent seen it yet!

I do woodworking. I run a sawmill on my own land, and take lumber from the tree to the mill, to the stack, then the kiln, and often times the finished product myself. Whether it be molding or flooring or even tables and such sometimes, its been busy with no end in site. Flooring is my niche tho. I make all kinds and sizes for home builders in my area. Something that has been getting more popular also is matching old molding/casing on old historical homes. Most of those profiles you'll never find at a store, so some folks are starting to hire me to make it instead of going online somewhere, which is cool.

I love lumber. There is nothing like a fresh cut log. That smell is like home to me.....
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 05:39 PM)bengaloo Wrote: That is awesome! You have to see the documentary Alone In The Wilderness. You will love that if you havent seen it yet!

I do woodworking. I run a sawmill on my own land, and take lumber from the tree to the mill, to the stack, then the kiln, and often times the finished product myself. Whether it be molding or flooring or even tables and such sometimes, its been busy with no end in site. Flooring is my niche tho. I make all kinds and sizes for home builders in my area. Something that has been getting more popular also is matching old molding/casing on old historical homes. Most of those profiles you'll never find at a store, so some folks are starting to hire me to make it instead of going online somewhere, which is cool.

I love lumber. There is nothing like a fresh cut log. That smell is like home to me.....

I helped my dad build their house the summer after my senior year in high school.  The summer before that we had cut logs and had them sawmilled mostly into 2 X 4's to use for framing.  We stacked them with strips to let air get around them, but when we came to use them the next year over half of them were too warped and twisted to use.  That was a lot of wasted work.  It would have been much cheaper to pay to get them kiln dried.  But we thought that if you stacked them the weight would keep them from warping.

My uncle used to run a saw mill.  He had a lot of craft workers who bought cedar off of him.  
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 05:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I helped my dad build their house the summer after my senior year in high school.  The summer before that we had cut logs and had them sawmilled mostly into 2 X 4's to use for framing.  We stacked them with strips to let air get around them, but when we came to use them the next year over half of them were too warped and twisted to use.  That was a lot of wasted work.  It would have been much cheaper to pay to get them kiln dried.  But we thought that if you stacked them the weight would keep them from warping.

My uncle used to run a saw mill.  He had a lot of craft workers who bought cedar off of him.  

That is the hardest part! My first stack ended up being firewood lol. The kiln helps a lot, and with slow speed kilns it really helps to keep things straighter, but even then some wood just wants to twist. Black locust is the worst. Its almost too dense. A fresh cut board will usually spring right into bow. Natures pressure treated...

Cedar is an excellent wood to have an abundance of for sure. Its such an amazing wood, I only wish I had more cedar logs around. That gorgeous red wood grain is really hard to beat!
Reply/Quote
[Image: 50060720_2207496199313088_65251166090428...e=5CBE770F]

Reply/Quote
I am now a proud owner of one of Grampahol's creations.

A small 'stache box for all my moustache paraphernalia.

I'll post a picture later.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am now a proud owner of one of Grampahol's creations.

Anything stashed in it yet? 

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2019, 02:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am now a proud owner of one of Grampahol's creations.

I got mustache paraphernalia but I call it a snatch box

No pics to follow  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote