Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Words to live by...
I'm a fan of quotes.

The best ones can sum up the most complex ideas in a few words.  And the ability to do that is truly genius in my book.

They don't have to bring meaning to *my* life, but if they can really say something I enjoy them.

For example:

Quote:I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires.

Susan B. Anthony

That one always comes to mind first.

Anyone else have a favorite quote or two?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
This will sound corny, but my "words to live by" come from something I used to recite in Scouts. The Scout Law is important, and it is something I try to live up to, but the Order of the Arrow provided me the quote. When you join the OA, there is an Ordeal weekend, which is bookended by ceremonies that tell a fictional tale of the origin of the organization. I was one of the principles (characters) in these ceremonies for a time, I was Meteu, the "medicine man" or shaman. My part in the final ceremony in which new members were inducted was to tell the Legend of a young warrior giving of himself to serve his fellow man and his father, the chief, forming a group of brothers around this act of noble courage.

Anyway, the line from the chieftain as he creates the brotherhood is: "For, said he, who serves his fellows is, of all his fellows, greatest!"

The premise of the organization is this line, service above self. The OA was an organization that I really got involved in and it is what kept me involved in Scouting, but were it not for the ideals instilled in me through my experiences with them, I wouldn't have the devotion to public service that I have today. I really feel like my role as Meteu and not just saying that line, but really taking it to heart, made me who I am.

So yeah, probably a bit more than you expected as a response to this, but I got nostalgic writing this. LOL
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 11:28 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: This will sound corny, but my "words to live by" come from something I used to recite in Scouts. The Scout Law is important, and it is something I try to live up to, but the Order of the Arrow provided me the quote. When you join the OA, there is an Ordeal weekend, which is bookended by ceremonies that tell a fictional tale of the origin of the organization. I was one of the principles (characters) in these ceremonies for a time, I was Meteu, the "medicine man" or shaman. My part in the final ceremony in which new members were inducted was to tell the Legend of a young warrior giving of himself to serve his fellow man and his father, the chief, forming a group of brothers around this act of noble courage.

Anyway, the line from the chieftain as he creates the brotherhood is: "For, said he, who serves his fellows is, of all his fellows, greatest!"

The premise of the organization is this line, service above self. The OA was an organization that I really got involved in and it is what kept me involved in Scouting, but were it not for the ideals instilled in me through my experiences with them, I wouldn't have the devotion to public service that I have today. I really feel like my role as Meteu and not just saying that line, but really taking it to heart, made me who I am.

So yeah, probably a bit more than you expected as a response to this, but I got nostalgic writing this. LOL

That's interesting.  I find it funny though that they have a "fictional" tale about their origins.  Is there an explained reason for that other than it sounds better than "we sat down and decided we needed a new group"?
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 12:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: That's interesting.  I find it funny though that they have a "fictional" tale about their origins.  Is there an explained reason for that other than it sounds better than "we sat down and decided we needed a new group"?

Lots of theories on that, but the thing is just that is what the founders used to give a theme to the organization. We all know the story of how the organization was really founded, so there is no hiding that, but it gives a level of mystery to it all. It is problematic in some ways, relying to much on American Indian culture, but some of us try hard to establish good relationships with local tribes. For instance, my lodge worked a lot with the Monacan tribe in the area, utilizing materials from them and inviting them to events.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
"You'll never see a dinosaur waving light dumbbells around, as if he was trying to fly like a bird." - Brooks Kubik, The dinosaur training method
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 01:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: "You'll never see a dinosaur waving light dumbbells around, as if he was trying to fly like a bird." -  Brooks Kubik, The dinosaur training method

Smirk

Even when I was a gym guy I never lifted to get big and lift more just for the reps.  But I like that line!  
Reply/Quote
Two things that will define you,
1.Your determination when you have nothing
2.Your attitude when you have everything
Reply/Quote
"The character of greatness is not only defined by the route you choose to reach your goals, but what you do once they're reached."
Reply/Quote
To live, is to suffer,
But to survive, well, that's to find meaning in the suffering.
Reply/Quote
"I thought I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken."
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 04:43 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: Two things that will define you,
1.Your determination when you have nothing
2.Your attitude when you have everything

Good one.

(05-29-2018, 04:58 PM)treee Wrote: "The character of greatness is not only defined by the route you choose to reach your goals, but what you do once they're reached."

Ties in with the one above.  Like this one too.

(05-30-2018, 08:29 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: "I thought I was wrong once, but it turns out I was mistaken."

Ha!  In high school I had one if someone asked me a question but didn't trust/believe/like my answer: "Do you have a better answer?  If not you have to accept mine."
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 01:52 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: To live, is to suffer,
But to survive, well, that's to find meaning in the suffering.

Very good!
Reply/Quote
DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.

That pretty much covers everything.
Reply/Quote
Paraphrase: You can tell the character of a man by how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him or to him.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
[Image: 9ced2e2fd120c0c43451480f20e959b4.jpg]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 10:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WOULD HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.

That pretty much covers everything.

Indeed.

(05-30-2018, 10:49 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Paraphrase:  You can tell the character of a man by how he treats someone who can do absolutely nothing for him or to him.

Agreed!

(05-30-2018, 01:47 PM)Millhouse Wrote: [Image: 9ced2e2fd120c0c43451480f20e959b4.jpg]

I just never got into that show...but I do like the character! LOL!
Reply/Quote
[Image: 34722878_1724568320965751_461382545330667520_o.jpg]
Reply/Quote
"You don't learn to walk by following rules. You learn by doing, and by falling over." - Richard Branson

"Life before Death, Strength before Weakness, Journey before Destination." - Brandon Sanderson

And a classic..."F It. It is what it is."
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
You can learn a lot about a person by simply watching how they treat their server at a restaurant.
Reply/Quote
[Image: responsibility-is-a-heavy-responsibility...724573.png]

Reply/Quote