Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work High.
Has anyone ever had that adrenaline work high that lasted for weeks? I've been busy as crap the last few weeks. However, being an operations mgr, I often live in depression due to an over abundance of critical thinking. The company has not set any goals for me. I'm kinda like one of those guys that don't need it. On my worst day, I'm trying to make the donuts (money) for the company. Always coming up with new ideas even if they suck just to get another viewpoint, which leads me around the block to find the right decision from another angle. My mind runs rampant on how to win. And that's what it is. It's all about winning. Building a legacy. Building trust and a good team.

Good anything is hard to achieve in the competitive world. There always seems to be someone who is better, or lurks in the shadows and next thing you know, they surpass you. Although, I'm currently the one lurking in the shadows. Some of the things we are doing is going to blow the competition out of the water. Pretty stoked about it. WTS, I worked for my company a few years ago, then took a better paying position elsewhere. Things went sour after, but not because I left. Just because it did.

Now I've been back a little over a year. Employees are happy. Strategies are working and the future seems so bright we all have to wear shades  Cool

Yet, I've been here before. There's always that emotional crash. Then everything you helped create becomes overwhelming. It becomes no longer enjoyable, but stressful and agonizing. My last place I worked I rose to the top pretty quickly. Built a great team. Trained people like position players. Everyone had a job to do and when the occasion rose for them, they nailed it. If they failed, which was seldom, I took the heat. Made people not afraid to make decisions. Loved it. However, became 24/7 job. I'm not 30 anymore. 

I'm on a high now. Been that way for weeks. Wish it would last forever. Yet, I know it wont. That sucks!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Never been hi at work. In my younger days I admit I went into work a few times still drunk from the night before but never hi.
Reply/Quote
Highest I ever was at work was shooting photos off the span of a bridge. I was invited to go sky diving for a story, but the schedule didn't work out great and the business folded after 2 months.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 06:18 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Has anyone ever had that adrenaline work high that lasted for weeks?

Yet, I've been here before. There's always that emotional crash. Then everything you helped create becomes overwhelming. It becomes no longer enjoyable, but stressful and agonizing. 

I'm on a high now. Been that way for weeks. Wish it would last forever.  Yet, I know it wont. That sucks!

Seems like you are describing a cycle of manic periods followed by depressive periods.

Is work really always going through that cycle or could it just be your perception?
Reply/Quote
I hate to say this, but it sounds like you're describing bi-polar depression. Might talk to a doctor about it.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2018, 03:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Seems like you are describing a cycle of manic periods followed by depressive periods.

Is work really always going through that cycle or could it just be your perception?

It’s transportation. So yes, very up and down and extremely competitive. But your point has merit. My entire career post military has pretty much been involved in the industry. I’ve seen the ups and downs so many times you know their coming. Some are annual, some not. Also, as I’ve mentioned before, over-regulated. It’s a lot of work to keep compliant. By perception, I would think your aiming at the possibilities of my mind causing my own crash and burn. I guess it’s possible, but don’t feel that to be the case.

(07-03-2018, 05:28 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I hate to say this, but it sounds like you're describing bi-polar depression. Might talk to a doctor about it.

Damn I hope not, but don’t think I am. I probably take ups and downs more on a personal level than some, but I think that’s just my competitive nature.

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2018, 08:31 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damn I hope not, but don’t think I am. I probably take ups and downs more on a personal level than some, but I think that’s just my competitive nature.

It's not that bad.  I have it, but I'm on an antidepressant, and a mood stabilizer.  So I don't have the "ups and downs".
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I worked in a factory years ago where I ran a very large plastics extrusion machine, very close tolerance type stuff. When I started I knew absolutely nothing about how to do the job, but within a few months I was producing more very high quality plastics than the company had ever produced which of course made the owners very happy, but the other people who worked there highly resented me being the only white guy there other than the owner. Things equalled out later when the other employees jobs became much easier because they had to process the plastic. They made rolled flagging tape for the construction industry and also the tape police put up around crime scenes and so on. Before I started working there the previous extrusion operator produced crap, but nobody realized it was crap because they hadn't processed good quality stuff before. Long story short, I quit and went on to other crappy jobs then decided that if I was going to do crappy jobs I was going to do it for myself instead of taking sh** from some low level low life asswipe. Since then I've been self employed at various types of things, some profitable, some not , but I've never had to try to live up to some *****'s standards. 
I live up to my own standards and could care less what anyone else thinks other than my customers. Point being, don't be afraid to fail.  I guess that's the point . 
Anyway, sometime around the 90s I decided to work for myself and nobody else.  
Reply/Quote
My job is about 95% sitting and waiting, but the 5% that can be balls to the wall busy and mentally demanding gives me a rush to this day. It's a good feeling.
Reply/Quote