Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2018 (bracket challenge too!)
World Cup starts up next month.

As of now my top 5 favorites to win it in order are Brazil, France, Spain, Argentina, and Germany. Portugal is a wild card that can make a run if they get hot.

Anyone else have a favorite?

A few posts down there are links for a league I created for the board that anyone can join. Its free, and if you happen to win big you can get prizes from Fifa.  http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-World-Cup-2018-bracket-challenge-too?pid=557007#pid557007

***I just went ahead and added it here too, derp***

If this is ok with everyone, Fifa set up a bracket challenge. I went ahead and created a league "The Bengals Board". Entry must be submitted by 17.00 Central European Time (“CET”) on 13 June 2018, which is 12:00 pm est our time.

Once a team is entered it is final.

The first link below is about the challenge, prizes, and link to register. Try to use your name here on the board, or as close as possible like I did.

The second link below is to join the league.

https://bracketchallenge.fifa.com/

https://bracketchallenge.fifa.com/bracket/leaguejoin/88a33ada

I did read that there will also be a "Knockout Bracket" that will open once group stage is closed and before knockout games begin. I will also create a separate Knockout league for anyone interested. The one above though is for all 32 teams that includes group and knockout stages.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have a feeling it will be a Germany vs Brazil final.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I like the Red Devils (Belgium)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
As a dual citizen of Brazil, they'll always have my support.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2018, 03:37 PM)Millhouse Wrote: World Cup starts up next month.

As of now my top 5 favorites to win it in order are Brazil, France, and Spain. Argentina would be 4th and Portugal is a wild card that can make a run if they get hot.

Anyone else have a favorite?

No Germany? Bold...

...I think they are favorites. Then sure, Spain, France. I don't believe in Brazil or Argentina. Portugal is overrated, and England traditionally can't win. And I hope for a surprise winner that never happens in the World Cup.
Reply/Quote
My picks, in order:

1. Germany
2. France
3. Brazil
4. Spain
5. Argentina

Would love to see:

1. Iceland
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 09:40 AM)hollodero Wrote: No Germany? Bold...

...I think they are favorites. Then sure, Spain, France. I don't believe in Brazil or Argentina. Portugal is overrated, and England traditionally can't win. And I hope for a surprise winner that never happens in the World Cup.

Germany would be my 5th, dont know why I left them out as I meant Portugal is my wild card team outside of my top 5 favs. Any team with Ronaldo on it cant be discounted if they come together and play good ball around him.

Reply/Quote
My picks (in order) are Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina (and for my dark horse pick) Uruguay.

Until France can prove they have their shit together, I wont pick them, in spite of them having one of the best rosters.

I know that Uruguay is a wild pick, but they have a very favorable draw, and a really under appreciated roster. How many countries can really boast having 2 legit #9's? They can stay compact (with an excellent midfield) and count on Suarez and Cavanni to poach goals. I am obviously ignoring their tendency to go "full-France" and self destruct. I watch a fair amount of Copa America and Conembol qualifying, and I have actually seen fist fights break out after some games....

Golden Boot to Neymar

Surprise teams that may show up in the semis- Belgium, England, Mexico and Portugal

Can't wait....
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 05:04 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: My picks (in order) are Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina (and for my dark horse pick) Uruguay.

Until France can prove they have their shit together, I wont pick them, in spite of them having one of the best rosters.  

I know that Uruguay is a wild pick, but they have a very favorable draw, and a really under appreciated roster. How many countries can really boast having 2 legit #9's? They can stay compact (with an excellent midfield) and count on Suarez and Cavanni to poach goals. I am obviously ignoring their tendency to go "full-France" and self destruct. I watch a fair amount of Copa America and Conembol qualifying, and I have actually seen fist fights break out after some games....

Golden Boot to Neymar

Surprise teams that may show up in the semis- Belgium, England, Mexico and Portugal

Can't wait....

I think Belgium can be scary. They have imo the best cam in the world right now in DeBruyne. Then they also have Hazard who is great and Nainggolan. Then Lukaku at st, Courtouis at G, pretty solid team this year.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 07:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I think Belgium can be scary. They have imo the best cam in the world right now in DeBruyne. Then they also have Hazard who is great and Nainggolan. Then Lukaku at st, Courtouis at G, pretty solid team this year.

A lot of people are high on Belgium, for good reasons, and they are a perfectly reasonably choice. I just think they will give up too many goals to win the big games. Nainggolan didn't even get pick for the final 23 for the record. 
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 08:56 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: A lot of people are high on Belgium, for good reasons, and they are a perfectly reasonably choice. I just think they will give up too many goals to win the big games. Nainggolan didn't even get pick for the final 23 for the record. 

Oh wow, I didnt know that. Talent wise he definitely should be a starter for them, but I can see why the manager doesnt want him either after reading up on some of his antics.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 08:56 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: A lot of people are high on Belgium, for good reasons, and they are a perfectly reasonably choice. I just think they will give up too many goals to win the big games. Nainggolan didn't even get pick for the final 23 for the record. 

I've got The Red Devils as my pick and they have great talent in the backfield and in goal. It also helps that the although they play a 3-5-3 that their fullbacks play club ball together and the centerback is the experienced Vincent Kompany. Look for them to go very deep. 

If I were to pick a surprise team it would be the Swiss or Egypt if Salah can play 

Reply/Quote
Also don't know if anyone plays FIFA but they just updated for the World Cup

Reply/Quote
I am SOOOOOOOO damn happy that Italy isn't in it: now I don't have to see thousands of people I know/in my area, who don't speak the language and only show their Italian pride every 4 (2 years actually, because of the Euro Cup) years and not day to day like myself.

I can just relax and put soccer at the back of my mind this year Big Grin
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 04:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Also don't know if anyone plays FIFA but they just updated for the World Cup

I messed around a bit with it, won it with England in offline, then played a couple online games in its fut mode. Its free, so cant complain too much about it. But I pretty much stopped playing back in January cause the gameplay wasnt good as it was, and it just got boring to be honest. Its basically Fifa17 with only one new addition of Squad Battles added to the game. Otherwise its the exact same game with patches that made it even worse lol.

Reply/Quote
Does anyone know of a free world cup bracket. I wonder how many people we could get into a pool.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 10:24 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Does anyone know of a free world cup bracket. I wonder how many people we could get into a pool.

Ae you suggesting a world cup betting game?

If you weren't, someone sure should.
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 11:03 PM)hollodero Wrote: Ae you suggesting a world cup betting game?

If you weren't, someone sure should.

While officially, the board neither endorses or supports financial wagering among members, I can say this.  During football season, a few of us take part in a small group, weekly competition on fanduel.  Perhaps they, or a similar agency will be offering World Cup pools?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 10:24 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Does anyone know of a free world cup bracket. I wonder how many people we could get into a pool.

Great idea!

If this is ok with everyone, Fifa set up a bracket challenge. I went ahead and created a league "The Bengals Board".  Entry must be submitted by 17.00 Central European Time (“CET”) on 13 June 2018, which is 12:00 pm est our time.

Once a team is entered it is final.

The first link below is about the challenge, prizes, and link to register. Try to use your name here on the board, or as close as possible like I did.

The second link below is to join the league.

https://bracketchallenge.fifa.com/

https://bracketchallenge.fifa.com/bracket/leaguejoin/88a33ada

I did read that there will also be a "Knockout Bracket" that will open once group stage is closed and before knockout games begin. I will also create a separate Knockout league for anyone interested. The one above though is for all 32 teams that includes group and knockout stages.

Reply/Quote
The final 4 from my bracket, I ended up with Brazil > France & Argentina > Germany , with Brazil beating Argentina.

Reply/Quote