Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2018 (bracket challenge too!)
Ronaldo gets the hat trick right of the gate against Spain for the tie. Luckily I was able to watch most of it today, what a game.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 09:04 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Because we like soccer more than Americans do.

Mexico is a no-brainer.
1.) Bull Shit
2.)Mexico is a sercurity risk.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 04:58 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Ronaldo gets the hat trick right of the gate against Spain for the tie. Luckily I was able to watch most of it today, what a game.

Portugal was so disappointing in the last WC. Maybe this is finally Ronaldo's tournament.

That was a good Spanish team. Better than Portugal really. But that last kick was a beauty!
Reply/Quote
What a game today. That Ronaldo strike was nice, but the Nacho strike was stunning.

Kind of disappointing that we can't see each others brackets on FIFA.
Reply/Quote
In order of likelihood of win the WC:

1. Die Mannschaft!
2. Brazil
3. Argentina
4. Spain

The only one of those four I will cheer is Germany.

Underdogs I would be happy to see go far--Mexico, Egypt, Iceland. Maybe Tunisia.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 11:01 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: What a game today. That Ronaldo strike was nice, but the Nacho strike was stunning.

Kind of disappointing that we can't see each others brackets on FIFA.

Yeah I know, I dont like that either. I was hoping ESPN did a bracket like they do for March madness, but nope.

Reply/Quote
VIVA LA MEXICO!

For those in the soccer know, how big of an upset was this?
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2018, 01:54 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: VIVA LA MEXICO!  

For those in the soccer know, how big of an upset was this?

Too big, I would say.
Reply/Quote
First 11 minutes--Brazil is playing like Brazil.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2018, 03:12 PM)Dill Wrote: First 11 minutes--Brazil is playing like Brazil.
Why the hell do they have VAR if they're not gonna call clear fouls on goals?

Sure, Brazil shouldn't need VAR to beat a team like Switzerland, but c'mon man.
Reply/Quote
Serious question why is it that I can't root against Mexico? I mean that's BS their USA main rival and now I have to act like I like them. Some guy on Facebook said comparing international games to club games is stupid? After I said it would be like me cheering for Pittsburgh in the playoffs? Does anyone agree with that?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 06:30 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 1.) Bull Shit
2.)Mexico is a sercurity risk.

1. Prove me wrong.

You know I'm right Wink

2. No it isn't: Cancun is.

(06-18-2018, 01:08 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Serious question why is it that I can't root against Mexico? I mean that's BS their USA main rival and now I have to act like I like them. Some guy on Facebook said comparing international games to club games is stupid? After I said it would be like me cheering for Pittsburgh in the playoffs? Does anyone agree with that?

And you can root for or against whomever you want: who gives a shit about your tastes?
You actually believe that State Department crap?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 10:55 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: 1. Prove me wrong.

You know I'm right Wink

I think Canada and U.S. are about the same when it comes to soccer. Canada's main sport is hockey of course. U.S.'s main sports are football, basketball, and baseball. But for both countries soccer is behind those respectively.

Hopefully though this will be a new trend in where the World Cup will be played. Instead of a single country getting a bid, it will be for a region of countries instead.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 01:44 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I think Canada and U.S. are about the same when it comes to soccer. Canada's main sport is hockey of course. U.S.'s main sports are football, basketball, and baseball. But for both countries soccer is behind those respectively.

Hopefully though this will be a new trend in where the World Cup will be played. Instead of a single country getting a bid, it will be for a region of countries instead.

Given with how the Olympics and World Cup have had a trend to bankrupt countries, you're probably right. FIFA should look for countries/Coalitions of countries that already have established infrastructure in place. 

Canada/Mexico/USA is a good deal. Tough to say where I'll be at 37 years old, but I'll definitely try to make it to a game.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 01:08 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Serious question why is it that I can't root against Mexico? I mean that's BS their USA main rival  and now I have to act like I like them. Some guy on Facebook said comparing international games to club games is stupid? After I said it would be like me cheering for Pittsburgh in the playoffs? Does anyone agree with that?

I always root for Pittsburgh in the playoffs. You should too.

Right now Mexico is the strongest CONCACAF representative. It would nice if someone from our region did well in the WC. Think of them as representing us.  Makes us all look bad if CONCACAF teams don't make it past the first round--and the US couldn't even qualify.  And I don't think we can expect much from Panama and Costa Rica.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2018, 05:19 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Why the hell do they have VAR if they're not gonna call clear fouls on goals?

Sure, Brazil shouldn't need VAR to beat a team like Switzerland, but c'mon man.

Well, I agree. That was bad. There were other moments too when the yellow cards should have come out.

Maybe that well publicized opening mistake will focus the refs a bit more.

Also, to digress a bit, I thought Marcella was sometimes damaging as much a helping Brazil.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2018, 01:44 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I think Canada and U.S. are about the same when it comes to soccer. Canada's main sport is hockey of course. U.S.'s main sports are football, basketball, and baseball. But for both countries soccer is behind those respectively.

Indeed, I agree wholeheartedly.

I just think that from a population percentage POV, (which may not be totally fair, as we're a smaller country), we have more fans, as our 3 major population centres have a VERY hardcore fanbase (TFC, Montreal, Vancouver) and the rest of Canada goes nuts for TFC.

But yes, I agree that spreading it out is best; also allows those in different countries to see different teams and all the jazz.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
VAR has some way to go yet, I will never know how it didn't award England two penalties last night for being wrestled by the Tunisians.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
My Red Devils looked good. Admittedly it was against one of the weaker teams in the tournament. It should have been the USA that Belgium beat 3-0. WTS, I burning up a couple access vacation days and taking in the vast majority of the games live. Others I am watching via DVR
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Poland just got hosed.
Reply/Quote