Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2022
That was intense at the end.

USA has advanced in 5 of the last 8 WC
1994 last WC with the 3rd in the group advancing
1998 first ever team to place 32nd in the first 32 team WC
2002 moved past Mexico in the knockout round then lost to the Germans in the quarter-finals
2006 Bruce Arena introduces the USA to their new "lone striker" approach and launches a six year period of playing boring, defensive football.
2010 lost to Ghana in the knockout round in extra time
2014 lost to Belgium in the knockout round in extra time
2018 did not qualify
2022 to be determined . . . but Holland, though. Going to be tough, for sure.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Congratulations boys, is it an 11am kick off on Saturday all my times are still in UK time so throwing me off.

I need to find a sports bar close to PBS on Sunday now to see our game before going in to the stadium.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 06:20 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Congratulations boys, is it an 11am kick off on Saturday all my times are still in UK time so throwing me off.

I need to find a sports bar close to PBS on Sunday now to see our game before going in to the stadium.

It's a 10am start time.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 06:08 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: Squeaked it out. Way to go. Not easy to get a win on demand.

Unfortunately we will probably get absolutely bopped by the Dutch, but who knows  anything can happen.

Netherlands didn't play well in a really easy group. You have your chances. 

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 06:20 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Congratulations boys, is it an 11am kick off on Saturday all my times are still in UK time so throwing me off.

USA at 10 on Saturday
England at 10 on Sunday . . . going to be a late start for the Bengals 12:25.

It's going to take some hustle but you MIGHT make kick off in PBS if England doesn't go to extra time or penalties.

Good luck. Your Leeds boys looked great for us today. Aaronson was tenacious. I hadn't seen that from him on the US squad or in Philly.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 07:10 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Netherlands didn't play well in a really easy group. You have your chances. 

That is true. Like I said in an earlier post, the World Cup format favors underdogs and upsets. If the US play as well as they did vs England, and actually put some shots on goal, they have a shot at the upset.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 07:16 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Good luck. Your Leeds boys looked great for us today. Aaronson was tenacious. I hadn't seen that from him on the US squad or in Philly.

Adams is just playing on another level at the moment won’t be in a Leeds shirt for long sadly if he keeps playing like this.

Aaronson still has a bit to prove to me after having Raphinha and a guy called Pablo Hernandez who is a Leeds legend (watch take us home on Amazon one of the best football documentaries ever made)

He has all the skills to make a massive impact just needs to be more consistent and pack some muscle on.

The thing with the Dutch is they are guaranteed to play the best football at every tournament but they don’t have that winning mentality if you play like you did against us they will crumble and you will beat them.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 09:10 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: watch take us home on Amazon one of the best football documentaries ever made
Thanks for the suggestion. Got it cued up for later tonight.

If you get a chance, check out Good Rivals, also on Amazon. Two part show explains many of the complexities of the USA/Mexico relationship since the 60s and the rise, fall and rise of US Soccer.

Agreed on Adams . . . Some club is going to go "I want this guy bossing my midfield." Not sure if you saw his answer to a slanted question from an Iranian journalist. Mind blowing that, at 23, he's the youngest captain at the World Cup by five years. Proud to call him my captain.

Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 09:10 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Aaronson still has a bit to prove to me after having Raphinha and a guy called Pablo Hernandez who is a Leeds legend (watch take us home on Amazon one of the best football documentaries ever made)

He has all the skills to make a massive impact just needs to be more consistent and pack some muscle on.

Yeah, I know the guy quite well from his tenure at Red Bull Salzburg. Skilled player for sure, but he did lack at certain departments. His decision making wasn't all that good and physically he was underwhelming too. Which made him, in the end, inefficient. I kinda liked him and wished him well, but from what I hear these problems might be there to stay.
Reply/Quote
Our reserve team did very awful against Tunisia and deservely lost.
No change we're still 1st but meh ...

Allez la France.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 02:10 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Our reserve team did very awful against Tunisia and deservely lost.
No change we're still 1st but meh ...

Allez la France.

I had to do a quick double take as I thought Australia were on 4 points rather than 3. 

Not terribly surprising that the B team conceded to a Tunisia team playing for everything, a little surprising that subbing back in the big names didn't provide the equalizer, even if it was only 20ish minutes. 

France still look among the clear favorites to win it all. 
Reply/Quote
Mexico and Canada out.

Only one Concacaf team has made it through to the final round so far.

And it doesn't look good for the remaining one. Sad
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 10:28 PM)Dill Wrote: Mexico and Canada out.

Only one Concacaf team has made it through to the final round so far.

And it doesn't look good for the remaining one.  Sad

Are US-Americans actually rooting for other Concacaf teams? If so, I find that to be strange. Like rooting for the Steelers when the Bengals are out (or the other way round, of course), which hardly anyone would do, certainly not me.

I for one seldomly root for the European teams.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 11:14 PM)hollodero Wrote: Are US-Americans actually rooting for other Concacaf teams? If so, I find that to be strange. Like rooting for the Steelers when the Bengals are out (or the other way round, of course), which hardly anyone would do, certainly not me.

Not so much. I'll actually be rooting for Germany tomorrow.

I did root for Canada, but mainly out of sympathy for underdogs.

I was just speaking to the relative strengths of the regions from which teams are drawn. 
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 11:20 PM)Dill Wrote: Not so much. I'll actually be rooting for Germany tomorrow.

I did root for Canada, but mainly out of sympathy for underdogs.

I was just speaking to the relative strengths of the regions from which teams are drawn. 

Oh I see, I apparently misread your emoticon. I might have internet alexithymia.

Rooting for Germany though? OK I get there's a personal connection, but think about myself for a second there. I have to actually deal with Germans, so I am the one that would have to bear the insufferable German world champion talking points again. Four years of we rock the world and we're the greatest, it's not funny.

PS oh and the concacaf region probably gets one spot too many.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2022, 10:15 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. Got it cued up for later tonight.

If you get a chance, check out Good Rivals, also on Amazon. Two part show explains many of the complexities of the USA/Mexico relationship since the 60s and the rise, fall and rise of US Soccer.

Agreed on Adams . . . Some club is going to go "I want this guy bossing my midfield." Not sure if you saw his answer to a slanted question from an Iranian journalist. Mind blowing that, at 23, he's the youngest captain at the World Cup by five years. Proud to call him my captain.

That interview went viral around Leeds, he obviously hasn’t been in the city long enough because when he’s been here a few more months he will simply reply with “**** off” LOL

For a 23 year old kid he’s got a wide head on his shoulders.
Reply/Quote
I’d love it if ze germans got knocked out tomorrow 96 was the tournament that made me fall in love with football and they broke my heart.

It will always be the biggest international footballing rivalry for the games alone never mind the fact that every time they took a foreign vacation in the 1900’s they got overexcited.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 11:14 PM)hollodero Wrote: Are US-Americans actually rooting for other Concacaf teams? If so, I find that to be strange. Like rooting for the Steelers when the Bengals are out (or the other way round, of course), which hardly anyone would do, certainly not me.

Well, I rooted for the Bengals during the SB, because they are a team that never won it.

Don't think I would do it again though.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 11:25 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh I see, I apparently misread your emoticon. I might have internet alexithymia.

Rooting for Germany though? OK I get there's a personal connection, but think about myself for a second there. I have to actually deal with Germans, so I am the one that would have to bear the insufferable German world champion talking points again. Four years of we rock the world and we're the greatest, it's not funny.

PS oh and the concacaf region probably gets one spot too many.

LOL I still deal with Germans too occasionally, though mostly by phone.

I never paid attention to soccer my entire life until 1990. I was house sitting for a friend in Bann (a little Dorf outside Landstuhl) during the WC, and with not much to do, started following the then WEST German team--Klinsmann, Voeller, Matthaeus, Bodo, all led to their 3rd world championship by "Der Kaiser." That was the year Gullit spit in Voeller's hair during the Holland game. 

Even in that little village I could hear the screams and roars every time the world champs scored. What a frenzy everywhere. After that I started following some of the German teams--Borussia Dortmund and the local SV Waldorf 07, which played in the Ludwigshafen stadium. I've continued following the National team since then. 

So sad that little Austria will never experience that national thrill. But you could pass for German, right? Muenchner maybe? 
Brag to strangers. A vicarious thrill, but a thrill nevertheless  Wink
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2022, 11:51 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: I’d love it if ze germans got knocked out tomorrow 96 was the tournament that made me fall in love with football and they broke my heart.

It will always be the biggest international footballing rivalry for the games alone never mind the fact that every time they took a foreign vacation in the 1900’s they got overexcited.

You referring to the Champions League? '97 maybe? 
Reply/Quote