Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Oceans Day
Today is World Oceans Day, a day to focus on conservation issues with our oceans. I'm a big environmental advocate type, so obviously this is a day where I get on my high horse a little bit. This year, the theme is found in the press release from http://www.worldoceansday.org:

Quote:For 2020, World Oceans Day is growing the global movement to call on world leaders to protect 30% of the world's ocean by 2030 - a campaign called 30x30. By safeguarding a least 30% of our ocean through a network of highly protected areas we can help ensure a healthy home for both marine and human life.

If you would like, you can sign the petition on their website.

But I want to emphasize that this should not take focus away from the issues of racial inequity that is currently the center of conversation in our country. Environmental issues are absolutely issues of equity, as racial and economic minorities are disproportionately harmed by pollution, climate change, and other environmental issues. The is a unequal distribution of environmental "goods" and "bads" so improving our environmental situation can help minority groups.

Anyway, I'll step off of my soap box for now. Just wanted to pop this in here.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-08-2020, 11:19 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Today is World Oceans Day, a day to focus on conservation issues with our oceans. I'm a big environmental advocate type, so obviously this is a day where I get on my high horse a little bit. This year, the theme is found in the press release from http://www.worldoceansday.org:

If you would like, you can sign the petition on their website.

But I want to emphasize that this should not take focus away from the issues of racial inequity that is currently the center of conversation in our country. Environmental issues are absolutely issues of equity, as racial and economic minorities are disproportionately harmed by pollution, climate change, and other environmental issues. The is a unequal distribution of environmental "goods" and "bads" so improving our environmental situation can help minority groups.

Anyway, I'll step off of my soap box for now. Just wanted to pop this in here.

30x30 is a good way to get the ESPN crowd behind this.

Jokes aside, this seems like a very easy goal and one no one could argue with. We have a lot of bodies of water in the US that need basic protection, and I look forward to seeing a time when a dialogue regarding protecting water can actually occur in our government. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rare-earth-elements-u-s-on-sidelines-in-race-for-metals-sitting-on-ocean-floor-60-minutes-60-minutes-2019-11-17/

Not an area of expertise for me. But I’m all onboard with ocean mining and America getting off their ass to get in on this “gold rush”. Plenty of other areas in the ocean that can be conserved.

This is coming from a guy who believes human actions can negatively impact our planet and would love to protect it.
The ocean gave me a bacterial infection. KILL IT! Ninja

Ok, all kidding aside, when people are stressed and want to releive stress, where do they go? The beach. The ocean provides so many benefits to mankind rather it be food or calm. In addition, I think our earth is mostly water, which generates humidity, which generates rain, etc. I hate sharks tho! I also dislike the 30X30 because its the first I've heard of it. So we only want to protect 30% of the ocean? Why is so little protected? What is the definition of protection where oceans are concerned? Does it mean no ship traffic or wells and no fishing? I truly dont know?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]