Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World football 2017-18
Thread for all things football from leagues to world play to whatever. World Cup is next summer, Euro leagues are in full swing, Murica's leagues are winding down, and the European & Champions League all started up this week.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Loving United this year. Lukaku up front, Rashford & Martial are great subs, Matic was a steal to get from Chelsea, and Pogba is just getting better.

[Image: 20799382_10155044390512746_8738520674648...e=5A54CA5D]

Reply/Quote
Yeah, you likely should have spelled it Futbol.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2017, 06:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, you likely should have spelled it Futbol.

I write in English, not Espanol.  ThumbsUp

Reply/Quote
Huddersfield made a good start to Premier League life :)
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
USA Killed Panama last night.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2017, 02:35 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: USA Killed Panama last night.

Yeah that was sweet. U.S. should be golden to make it now. And Argentina may not make the Cup. That is just nuts.

Reply/Quote
(10-07-2017, 05:59 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah that was sweet. U.S. should be golden to make it now. And Argentina may not make the Cup. That is just nuts.

Them and the Netherlands seem to be on the outside looking in. It is a crazy qualifying year.
J24

Reply/Quote
I am at a lost for words by this loss. Honestly it's an embarrassment.
J24

Reply/Quote
It is embarrassing and they dont deserve to go as they shouldnt even been in this position to begin with. But maybe it is better for the long run.

The whole U.S. soccer needs to revamp its ways and get with MLS to start changing things up like Euro leagues do. Start a relegation/promotion system with MLS and the USL. Start a tier 3 league up that would do the promotion to USL as well. Start breeding competition with our MLS teams to not get relegated. Also start youth academies like the clubs in Europe do, start scouting when they are younger and bring them in and compete at high levels very early on.

They need some changes for sure. Otherwise if U.S. Soccer from the top to the bottom doesnt change going forward, they will never get to be a threat for the WC for at least another decade or two.

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2017, 01:39 AM)Millhouse Wrote: They need some changes for sure. Otherwise if U.S. Soccer from the top to the bottom doesnt change going forward, they will never get to be a threat for the WC for at least another decade or two.

The US won't be a threat to win the WC either way. As an Austrian, I made my peace with that and maybe you should too.

In your case, the reason is that the sport isn't quite as popular as in other places of the world. And since that won't change, you won't have that pool of players, that kind of competition in the first place. There's not so much you can do about that. You would have to compete with the more popular US sports, and with millions of Brazilians (but also German, English etc. etc. kids) that have nothing but soccer in their mind from the age of five. Soccer will never have that kind of standing in the US (because other sports fill that void).

Plus, I doubt you really want the European league systems implemented in the US. Relegation is one thing that makes sense. But apart fom that, Euro leagues just throw perverted sums of money into all that. No club in the US would want - or be in a position to be able to - spend those amounts. You could still just sell your best players to Europe - like Brazil does - but again, hard to compete against millions of gifted players from the slums who see soccer as the lone possibility to escape misery. 

In other words, there is no hope. Really. There isn't. :)
Reply/Quote
Something needs to change, perhaps promotion/relegation, but I don't want MLS to become like the Premier League where with the exception of a team here and there, only three teams really win.

Of the last 10 MLS Cup winners, there are 8 different teams.
Of the last 20 Premier League winners, there are 5 different teams, with 14 of them being won by 2 teams.

So they need to figure a way to strike a balance between solving what needs to be solved to not be so embarrassing on the world stage, and maintaining parity.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm for the Orange team in the World Cup since the US didn't make it.  Them or the Aussies. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 12:43 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I'm for the Orange team in the World Cup since the US didn't make it.  Them or the Aussies. 

The orange team didn't make it either and Aussies are facing hondorus in the playoff. 
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2017, 02:28 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: The orange team didn't make it either and Aussies are facing hondorus in the playoff. 

Guess I'm not watching soccer for a while then. 

I'll just be over here patiently waiting for the Winter Olympics to start.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
https://youtu.be/tqEflOKL2EY

Nice little documentary by NBC on the Huddersfield Town story!!

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2017, 08:20 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: https://youtu.be/tqEflOKL2EY

Nice little documentary by NBC on the Huddersfield Town story!!

That was sweet. Thanks for the share.

Big game tomorrow tho verses United. Im a MU fan, but will root for your guys if you are winning. Good luck!

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 12:25 PM)Millhouse Wrote: That was sweet. Thanks for the share.

Big game tomorrow tho verses United. Im a MU fan, but will root for your guys if you are winning. Good luck!
Well what a result!

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 03:31 PM)YorkshireBengal Wrote: Well what a result!

Well deserved for sure. Huddersfield played with more heart and attitude in wanting that win, and MU just didnt. 

I dont know if MU players think they need to give it all every game, like they did early on in the season. But there's no way playing like that they will go far in the champions league round of 16, let alone winning the league. 

For Huddersfield, this is one of those monumental wins to build off of to firmly secure a place in the league next year. Big test next week though, as Liverpool will be the opposite of MU today as they will attack non-stop. Good luck, definitely hoping you guys beat them, or at least draw. 

Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 03:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Well deserved for sure. Huddersfield played with more heart and attitude in wanting that win, and MU just didnt. 

I dont know if MU players think they need to give it all every game, like they did early on in the season. But there's no way playing like that they will go far in the champions league round of 16, let alone winning the league. 

For Huddersfield, this is one of those monumental wins to build off of to firmly secure a place in the league next year. Big test next week though, as Liverpool will be the opposite of MU today as they will attack non-stop. Good luck, definitely hoping you guys beat them, or at least draw. 
I’m just going to enjoy my first trip to Anfield next week!! I looked at Man Utd then Liverpool away and assumed two, potentially heavily, defeats were coming. Today’s three points have relaxed me a lot after a poor run of form.

The Swansea defeat was particularly disappointing, that’s the sort of team we’re battling against relegation with.

I was thinking on my home that the NFL wage cap sort of takes away these stunning results. Paul Pogba’s wage is almost twice as much as the ENTIRE Huddersfield squads wages combined. Whilst Cleveland winning away at New England would be a surprise, it surely can’t compare because there is no financial disparity...just my random musings anyway :)

Reply/Quote