Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst Case Offseason Scenario?
(12-18-2019, 06:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well that's the reality though.
The Bengals organization is not a desirable organization.
The city of Cincinnati, while improved from how it used to be, is not on the same level as a city like LA, NYC, Chicago, Houston, Dallas in terms of appeal.
Ohio doesn't have the appeal like Texas, Tennessee, and Florida when it comes to no state income tax.
If the team cannot develop draft picks into elite players often such that they can always have great home-grown talent, they may have to overspend to draw in upper tier talent.
If they keep approaching the way they have been by bringing in mid-to-lower-tier FAs on a budget, they are 100% relying on the draft to solve their problems, and they are where they are because of it.

That's why I think they'll bend over backwards for Green.

He has a name value in the league and they'll pay him to keep some shred of notoriety in the NFL.

He's an "in the building" name that they don't have to lure away from other teams for Cincy.

They'd rather give him the money then have to give someone money and have to compete with better franchises in more desirable cities.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 11:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Curious to know what everyone would consider their worst case offseason scenario?

Mine is:
- retaining every coach
- keeping Andy Dalton and Cordy Glenn (big contracts with no dead cap if traded/released)
- tagging Green (big $$ that's all guaranteed)
- using up a good chunk of the cap space on all the above and the rest of the Bengals' FAs to use up most of the upcoming cap space
- still using the draft to get Burrow, a WR, and an OL to sit behind the above FAs for 2020, thereby essentially not having these guys see the field much in 2020 OR them seeing the field but now guys like Glenn, Green, and/or Dalton becoming high-priced backups.

So essentially I guess my worst case scenario is more of how the Bengals always operate?  Hilarious

Of the decisions that are actually up for debate (they aren't firing Taylor):

It would be the worst case for them to: 

Draft more skill positions (after the clear choice of QB) and not address the lines.
Draft more athletes than football players.
Take less than a first round pick and a sweetener for AJ Green if offered a trade (they won't trade him anyways).
Accept the play of individuals like Hart, Jordan, Glenn and not draft their replacements.  (Assuming Glenn is moved to guard again).
Not give Darren Simmons a raise and losing him to another team.
Not try to move the likes of Atkins, Dunlap, and Gio for draft picks.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 05:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Guy is someone’s father, grandfather, etc, but hey if the team he runs doesn’t win enough games what’s his life worth, amirite?

Some of you people need professional help.

Then he should spend more time in his Lazy Boy watching the grandkids and less time being the absolute worst owner in the NFL and literally stealing money from both the league and the fans. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:22 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Worst case  - Mike Brown is still alive

Medical science finds a cure for aging for 1-15 NFL team owners only.. Mike Brown the first ever recipient..  Shocked The hidden cost: Every 1st round pick of the team goes to Pittsburg forever.. Brown quickly signs..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 10:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Of the decisions that are actually up for debate (they aren't firing Taylor):

HEY miracles can happen
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 01:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: HEY miracles can happen

Kind of like babies born into dire poverty to mothers who are raped, but hey, every birth is a miracle.. and every sperm is precious.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You're worried of a 1-win team losing some of its players? At worst, they have one less win. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
If you say it makes them less watchable, I'd say I haven't watched this team after Week 5 anyway, so going Winless vs 1-2 wins doesn't really make a difference to me since I wouldn't be watching regardless lol.

Yep.  Because if everyone is healthy this sure isn't a 1 win team.  Are there holes to fill?  Absolutely, but since we only use the draft for that, any loss is essentially someone we can't replace.

If we lose Hopkins, what do we do?  Put Price back at center?
If we lose AJ, then we have the same punchless offense.

I could go on, but it's imperative that we don't lose any guys on offense.  AJ, Boyd, Ross, Tate, Uzomah, Mixon and Gio are one of the best groups of skill guys in the league.  Add Jonah on to the line and there really isn't a need to bring 4 new linemen in.

A team that operates like the Bengals can't afford to let any of their players walk since they won't replace them.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 11:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Curious to know what everyone would consider their worst case offseason scenario?

Mine is:
- retaining every coach
- keeping Andy Dalton and Cordy Glenn (big contracts with no dead cap if traded/released)
- using up a good chunk of the cap space on all the above and the rest of the Bengals' FAs to use up most of the upcoming cap space
- still using the draft to get Burrow, a WR, and an OL to sit behind the above FAs for 2020, thereby essentially not having these guys see the field much in 2020 OR them seeing the field but now guys like Glenn, Green, and/or Dalton becoming high-priced backups.

So essentially I guess my worst case scenario is more of how the Bengals always operate?  Hilarious

That plus adding taking Tua the injured QB with our first pick cause we win these last two games and lose Burrow in the process.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 02:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That plus adding taking Tua the injured QB with our first pick cause we win these last two games and lose Burrow in the process.

I'd rather roll the dice on Tua than go with some of these other QBs honestly.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 02:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yep.  Because if everyone is healthy this sure isn't a 1 win team.  Are there holes to fill?  Absolutely, but since we only use the draft for that, any loss is essentially someone we can't replace.

If we lose Hopkins, what do we do?  Put Price back at center?
If we lose AJ, then we have the same punchless offense.

I could go on, but it's imperative that we don't lose any guys on offense.  AJ, Boyd, Ross, Tate, Uzomah, Mixon and Gio are one of the best groups of skill guys in the league.  Add Jonah on to the line and there really isn't a need to bring 4 new linemen in.

A team that operates like the Bengals can't afford to let any of their players walk since they won't replace them.

At some point, if the team continues to be stubborn and not have the success you want them to, you know you can just choose to follow a different team, right? There's nothing forcing you to be a fan of the Bengals. You don't need to keep tolerating their ineptness if you don't want to.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 02:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: At some point, if the team continues to be stubborn and not have the success you want them to, you know you can just choose to follow a different team, right? There's nothing forcing you to be a fan of the Bengals. You don't need to keep tolerating their ineptness if you don't want to.

Well, they aren't "inept"

They have had a long stretch of success, just not the ultimate success.  They've won divisions and made the playoffs fairly consistently before this last stretch.

Unfortunately I will never switch teams.  I'm more of a college football fan and the only pro team I watch is Cincy.  I also understand how Mike Brown does business.  That's why I feel that they can't afford to lose any of their own guys.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 03:05 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Well, they aren't "inept"

They have had a long stretch of success, just not the ultimate success.  They've won divisions and made the playoffs fairly consistently before this last stretch.

Unfortunately I will never switch teams.  I'm more of a college football fan and the only pro team I watch is Cincy.  I also understand how Mike Brown does business.  That's why I feel that they can't afford to lose any of their own guys.

Mike Brown is 84 years old. I can't imagine he'll be the owner of the Bengals for many more years.
I'm willing to stick it out until the next owner takes over, but if it ends up being more of the same, I'm going to be very tempted to pick a new team.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 02:51 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd rather roll the dice on Tua than go with some of these other QBs honestly.

Before the injury I would understand, but I like Jalen Hurts much better now.
Reply/Quote
There are so many bad offseason things that could happen that pinning it down to one scenario is rather difficult, but missing on yet another 1st round pick would rank right up there.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 01:03 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Then he should spend more time in his Lazy Boy watching the grandkids and less time being the absolute worst owner in the NFL and literally stealing money from both the league and the fans. 

Completely agree, but to wish death on another human being because you don’t like the way he runs your favorite football team is gross.

Reply/Quote

Mine is:
- retaining every coach

What makes ANYONE think ANYTHING will be different with MB?
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 12:38 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: What makes ANYONE think ANYTHING will be different with MB?

This isn't focused on us thinking Mike Brown will operate differently. If we think operating as normal is worst case scenario, then so be it. But my opinion is that if Mike Brown wants to keep operating as he normally does, it's going to take at least a few years to get back to the playoffs. Many of the fans don't want to wait around that long for that to happen. Heck, Mike Brown might not even be around when it happens again.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 01:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This isn't focused on us thinking Mike Brown will operate differently. If we think operating as normal is worst case scenario, then so be it. But my opinion is that if Mike Brown wants to keep operating as he normally does, it's going to take at least a few years to get back to the playoffs. Many of the fans don't want to wait around that long for that to happen. Heck, Mike Brown might not even be around when it happens again.

He’s about money. He made the most in the 90s.

He could care less about what the fans want.

It is what it is.

Best case scenario is for the family to sell the franchise.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2019, 07:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Completely agree, but to wish death on another human being because you don’t like the way he runs your favorite football team is gross.

I dont mind being gross really. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 01:40 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: He’s about money. He made the most in the 90s.

He could care less about what the fans want.

It is what it is.

Best case scenario is for the family to sell the franchise.

I was actually wondering this...
Would people support the Bengals if they weren't in Cincinnati?
Because the way I'm starting to look at the Bengals is like any local store/company.
I care about whether a company is providing a good product and doing it in a way that I support.
And if those are done, I'd happily support the local over the non-local.
But if the local company puts out a bad product and/or operates in a way I don't agree with, I'm not going to give that company my business just for the sake of being local.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote