Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst Case Offseason Scenario?
Curious to know what everyone would consider their worst case offseason scenario?

Mine is:
- retaining every coach
- keeping Andy Dalton and Cordy Glenn (big contracts with no dead cap if traded/released)
- tagging Green (big $$ that's all guaranteed)
- using up a good chunk of the cap space on all the above and the rest of the Bengals' FAs to use up most of the upcoming cap space
- still using the draft to get Burrow, a WR, and an OL to sit behind the above FAs for 2020, thereby essentially not having these guys see the field much in 2020 OR them seeing the field but now guys like Glenn, Green, and/or Dalton becoming high-priced backups.

So essentially I guess my worst case scenario is more of how the Bengals always operate? Hilarious
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown decides to take over as the new HC AND QBs coach and call all the plays..and trade Joe Mixon for a 4th string aging LB to Pittsburgh.. Now THAT would be a winner, huh? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor and Crew is given a year 2..... All i want for Christmas is a new HC
Reply/Quote
That's pretty much my worst case scenario.

I don't need to see Zach Taylor go 3-36-1 like Hue Jackson in Cleveland before realizing a change needs to be made.

They need to give Ron Rivera the money and control needed to get him to coach in Cincinnati, but they don't have that type of leadership to pull off such a move.
Reply/Quote
Winning the last 2 and not getting Burrow
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 12:34 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Winning the last 2 and not getting Burrow

That is worse, but that's technically still this season, not the offseason Wink
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
You pretty well sum it up. Mike Brown sitting on his hands as usual = my worst fear.

Staying the course, loyalty, standing pat, keeping Dalton, Glenn, Hart, Kirkpatrick, and so on. Barely dipping a pinky toe into free agency. Relying totally on the draft to fix this dumpster fire.

I barely caught a minute or so of Bill Cunningham yesterday, yes he's a bit of a blowhard, but he was talking something about the NFL leaning on the Giants ownership back in 1992 or whatever ? for running a shit show like MB is, stands empty, no GM, and so on. And he said they stepped in and said change it up here bud you're hurting our brand ! And that's when they hired Parcells and it started turning around.

Fingers crossed it's true and they start leaning on Mike.
Reply/Quote
Burrow pulling an Eli and instead of taking Young we go with Tua or Herbert. I’d probably quit the Bengals for good.

Reply/Quote
Worst offseason scenario for me is that they don't re-sign all of their free agents. I've already accepted the fact that this team will always be big players for the tier 3 free agents. Anything big free agent signing isn't going to happen.

So, I want to hold on to Glenn, Hopkins, Green etc. because I know that they won't be replaced with anything other than draft picks
Reply/Quote
Not getting 1st round pick because of meaningless wins in the last two games and drafting an injury prone offensive lineman who is on the growing list of busts of recent drafts.
Reply/Quote
Worst case scenario. We win the next two games, resulting in us picking 3rd overall. The entire coaching staff is retained, citing our 2 game winning streak and an injury plagued season as reasons for the second chance. Trey Hopkins leaves in free agency after we low ball him. An AFC North team signs him for slightly more than we offered. We franchise tag AJ Green. Our free agent signings are a second tier OG, a cast off center, a past his prime linebacker with a decent name, and a few others to fill roster spots. Our first round pick is Andrew Thomas, who tore a pec muscle working out at the combine. It’s not serious though and he will absolutely be ready for OTAs.

Andrew Thomas is not ready for OTAs. Joe Mixon takes notes from Ezekiel Elliott and Melvin Gordon and decides to hold out. AJ Green waits until the last possible minute to sign his franchise contract. He also decides to hold out until mandatory practice to avoid injury.

Andrew Thomas suffers an unexpected set back. He’s not ready for mini camp and starting the season on the PUP list. AJ is healthy, but looks like a shell of his former self since he hasn’t played in well over a year. Mixon’s hold out continues. Signing Gio is really paying off as he looks great though. That’s until he suffers a concussion in the second series of our first preseason game and retires. Andy Dalton is looking really good though. Like the best we’ve seen. So good, in fact, that Mike Brown decides to sign him to a 4 year extension right before the season starts. Bad Andy shows up and plays out the rest of the season.

Our defense still doesn’t figure out how to cover TEs and RBs.

I could probably come up with worse, but then it doesn’t seem as realistic.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Worst offseason scenario for me is that they don't re-sign all of their free agents.  I've already accepted the fact that this team will always be big players for the tier 3 free agents.  Anything big free agent signing isn't going to happen.

So, I want to hold on to Glenn, Hopkins, Green etc. because I know that they won't be replaced with anything other than draft picks

You're worried of a 1-win team losing some of its players? At worst, they have one less win. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
If you say it makes them less watchable, I'd say I haven't watched this team after Week 5 anyway, so going Winless vs 1-2 wins doesn't really make a difference to me since I wouldn't be watching regardless lol.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 11:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Curious to know what everyone would consider their worst case offseason scenario?

Mine is:
- retaining every coach
- keeping Andy Dalton and Cordy Glenn (big contracts with no dead cap if traded/released)
- using up a good chunk of the cap space on all the above and the rest of the Bengals' FAs to use up most of the upcoming cap space
- still using the draft to get Burrow, a WR, and an OL to sit behind the above FAs for 2020, thereby essentially not having these guys see the field much in 2020 OR them seeing the field but now guys like Glenn, Green, and/or Dalton becoming high-priced backups.

So essentially I guess my worst case scenario is more of how the Bengals always operate?  Hilarious

As far as players, the worst case is medical malpractice  with AJ Green.  Screwing up his rehap is worst case.  If he is healthy he is ideal for Joe Burrow's rookie year.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 11:06 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Curious to know what everyone would consider their worst case offseason scenario?

Mine is:
- retaining every coach

So essentially I guess my worst case scenario is more of how the Bengals always operate?  Hilarious

You forgot "Mixon sits out for a new contract"
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:17 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: You forgot "Mixon sits out for a new contract"

Absolutely forgot that. Yes!
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Worst case - Mike Brown is still alive
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Letting all of Green, Dalton, Glenn, Kirkpatrick, Ross, Hart etc go without getting value for them and we end up replacing them with Erickson, Finley, Torry McTyer, John Jerry, Damon Willis and Kent Perkins after...
...Using the cap space to sign a load of expensive FAs to mulityear deals who all end up as busts - not only will they eat up cap but Mike Brown will be so scarred he won't ever trust a FA again

Replacing every coach and having to repeat this year's learning process all over again

Burrow is injured before the draft so we pass on him and the player we chose in his place gets injured pre-season anyway

Joe Mixon re-signs in a record deal for a RB and promptly smacks a girl in the face and is banned indefinitely prompting a return of the Bengals are all criminals narrative. Juju Schuster-Smith does the same and is given a 2 match ban to be served during the 3rd and 4th pre-season matches.

I could go on but can'y we talk about best case scenarios instead?
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:29 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Letting all of Green, Dalton, Glenn, Kirkpatrick, Ross, Hart etc go without getting value for them and we end up replacing them with Erickson, Finley, Torry McTyer, John Jerry, Damon Willis and Kent Perkins after...
...Using the cap space to sign a load of expensive FAs to mulityear deals who all end up as busts - not only will they eat up cap but Mike Brown will be so scarred he won't ever trust a FA again

Replacing every coach and having to repeat this year's learning process all over again

Burrow is injured before the draft so we pass on him and the player we chose in his place gets injured pre-season anyway

Joe Mixon re-signs in a record deal for a RB and promptly smacks a girl in the face and is banned indefinitely prompting a return of the Bengals are all criminals narrative. Juju Schuster-Smith does the same and is given a 2 match ban to be served during the 3rd and 4th pre-season matches.

I could go on but can'y we talk about best case scenarios instead?

That's what the Mock Drafts subforum is for Wink
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:07 PM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: Worst case scenario. We win the next two games, resulting in us picking 3rd overall. The entire coaching staff is retained, citing our 2 game winning streak and an injury plagued season as reasons for the second chance. Trey Hopkins leaves in free agency after we low ball him. An AFC North team signs him for slightly more than we offered. We franchise tag AJ Green. Our free agent signings are a second tier OG, a cast off center, a past his prime linebacker with a decent name, and a few others to fill roster spots. Our first round pick is Andrew Thomas, who tore a pec muscle working out at the combine. It’s not serious though and he will absolutely be ready for OTAs.

Andrew Thomas is not ready for OTAs. Joe Mixon takes notes from Ezekiel Elliott and Melvin Gordon and decides to hold out. AJ Green waits until the last possible minute to sign his franchise contract. He also decides to hold out until mandatory practice to avoid injury.

Andrew Thomas suffers an unexpected set back. He’s not ready for mini camp and starting the season on the PUP list. AJ is healthy, but looks like a shell of his former self since he hasn’t played in well over a year. Mixon’s hold out continues. Signing Gio is really paying off as he looks great though. That’s until he suffers a concussion in the second series of our first preseason game and retires. Andy Dalton is looking really good though. Like the best we’ve seen. So good, in fact, that Mike Brown decides to sign him to a 4 year extension right before the season starts. Bad Andy shows up and plays out the rest of the season.

Our defense still doesn’t figure out how to cover TEs and RBs.

I could probably come up with worse, but then it doesn’t seem as realistic.

That's about as bad as it could go. I'd laugh if it wasn't so sad. 
Reply/Quote

Mine is:
- retaining every coach

Haha. Yeah I'd say that is all a likely scenario.

Maybe losing Hopkins or Dennard in free agency.

I think tagging AJ is a bad idea. He's had a marked decline after his rookie contract was up.
Reply/Quote