Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Worst-Case Scenario (within reason) Mock?
In life, I always try to hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I've been trying to figure out what's the worst draft that Mike/Duke/Zac could compile, but that Hobson could still justify? I.e., worst case scenario, within reason. Here's my submission, using First-Pick (since it allows trades):

Round 1 Pick 5 (MIA): Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon (A). What can I say? They fell in love with Herbert at the Senior bowl. There's a lot to like, big guy with a big arm, won the Pac-12 (but couldn't win an all-star game with a stacked team). Plus, we picked up Miami's 2nd AND next year's first (what a haul!!!). Never mind that we passed on the next Tom Brady (Burrow) and the next Pat Mahomes (Tua) for the next Jay Cutler ... He just did a better job of organizing his individual workout than Burrow or Tua did, which means he can double as the team's travel agent if forced to backup Dalton for a year.
Round 2 Pick 1: Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU (A-). We need a WR, sure. Let's pass on Shenault (who was available) for the next John Ross because, you know, Antonio Brown used to be good. Now we can let AJ go and roll over cap $$ for the future.
Round 2 Pick 7 (MIA): Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame (A-). Need a TE, too. Let's get one with an injury history who can't block. The last ND TE worked out great for us, right? He put up Gronk-like numbers during the 15 or so games that he was healthy.
Round 3 Pick 1: Prince Tega Wanogho, OT, Auburn (A). Solid mid-round pick in a position of need. You know what they say about blind pigs and acorns. Of course, he might not be ready to start this year, so we might have to suffer through another season of Hart ...
Round 4 Pick 1: Joe Bachie, OLB, Michigan State (A+). Finally address the LB position -- with a slow run-stopper who can't cover. Yeah! But he's a great run defender because, you know, so many teams use that between the tackles, power running scheme in today's NFL. AFC North!
Round 5 Pick 1: Levonta Taylor, CB, Florida State (A+). Now let's get a CB who's projected to be a backup slot guy at best. With a year of seasoning he could potentially replace Webb, who won't be around forever.
Round 6 Pick 1: Steve Gonzalez, OG, Penn State (B+). Big guard who can't play in space. Just what we need. Passed on Simpson and Stenberg for this guy, BTW.
Round 7 Pick 1: David Dowell, FS/SS, Michigan State (A+). Obligatory special teams guy who will never play a meaningful down.

Typical bad Bengals draft, no? Disappointing and sad, but not quite bad enough to prevent me from renouncing my fandom. Although the prospect of reading about Herbert-to-Reagor bombs for three months makes me want to barf. The only thing I missed is the random mid-round trade-up for a guy who's projected to go a round later ... that or the second-rounder spent on someone no one's ever heard of.
Reply/Quote
I mean it would be a horrible draft because somehow Miami got from 5 to 1 for a 2nd and a future 1st, which by any metric would have been one of the worst trades in NFL history by the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Yes horrible lol well done.
Reply/Quote
I agree this is worst case scenario, but I would take Reagor 10/10 before I drafted Shenault.
Reply/Quote
Looks bad but until next years draft , or even farther down the road, it can't be determined how good or bad of a trade it was. Even if Burrow turned out to be Brady 2.0 for the Fins it doesn't mean he would have done the same for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote