Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals Four 1st Round Options.
#1. Draft the Offensive Tackle they need.
#2. Draft the Linebacker or D Player they need.
#3. Draft the Ohio State strong arm QB Haskins if on the boards
#4. If Haskins on the boards, trade down to a team needing a QB and willing to give Bengals their 2nd and/or 3rd round pick in return. A team needing a QB may trade several picks to move up and get Haskins. Bengals really don't need Dalton and Haskins. They could however use more picks for new coaches in the first 3 or 4 rounds. BEWARE of making this trade with an AFC North Team. Don't need giving a Division Team a QB to haunt us twice a year for many years.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I see DE and maybe DT being a real possibility if White and OTs we like are gone.

If Haskins is the pick, you need to keep Dalton for a year to allow Haskins to develop. Then you trade Dalton next off season. I think the most you'll get for him is a 3rd.
Reply/Quote
The team should take the BPA if the LB and OTs they want are not there at 11. This would eliminate any QB, including Murray, any WR, any CB, any S, any OG, any C and any RB from being picked at 11 as none of the players at those positions are in the top 11 players of this draft.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 10:33 AM)BengalChris Wrote: The team should take the BPA if the LB and OTs they want are not there at 11. This would eliminate any QB, including Murray, any WR, any CB, any S, any OG, any C and any RB from being picked at 11 as none of the players at those positions are in the top 11 players of this draft.

^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with this

Let BPA dictate rounds 1 and maybe 2, then go for position needs
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 11:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with this

Let BPA dictate rounds 1 and maybe 2, then go for position needs

If the top LBs and OTs are gone and one of the top QB are still available(imo I don't think they will be) then trading back for possibly two starters instead of one is the best option. Taking the QB is also a viable choice. Whoever is still on the board at 11 will determine how attack the coming year.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 11:15 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: ^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with this

X2

Don't pass on a much better player to reach for a position.

When people talk about trading out of a position they have to realize that there may not be another team willing to give up anything of value to move up to that spot. In this case teams willing to trade up to get a QB would probably have traded up to a higher spot than #11 to  get who they want.  Lots of people consider us a team looking for a QB.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 11:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: X2

Don't pass on a much better player to reach for a position.

When people talk about trading out of a position they have to realize that there may not be another team willing to give up anything of value to move up to that spot. In this case teams willing to trade up to get a QB would probably have traded up to a higher spot than #11 to  get who they want.  Lots of people consider us a team looking for a QB.

Exactly !

People talk about trading back like you can just say "ok, let's trade back and voila' you trade back". Sometimes a team gets lucky and finds a sweet deal from another team willing to give up the moon for a dire need. But normally it's not anything close to the automatic option people portray it as.
Reply/Quote
Do you believe Andy Dalton is a "Franchise QB"?

If the answer is no, and there is a guy on the board you think can become a Franchise QB, you take him.

If not, is there a Blue Chip player available? If yes take him.

If not, take BPA. If 2 or 3 guys are close, and one of them plays a position of need, take the guy you need.
Reply/Quote
Priority #1: LB
Priority #2: OT
Priority #3: Elite talent for D line
Priority #4: T.J. Hockenson

The QB crop is weak, the o line is terrible, and the LB’s are worse. Any QB that has to play behind the bums on the right side of the line is going to get the Rosen treatment.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 12:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly !

People talk about trading back like you can just say "ok, let's trade back and voila' you trade back". Sometimes a team gets lucky and finds a sweet deal from another team willing to give up the moon for a dire need. But normally it's not anything close to the automatic option people portray it as.
That's what I meant by who is left and what team has a need for whoever is still there. Taking a BPA for a position you don't need is not a good option when there are so many holes to fill. IMO its better to reach for your needs than to pick someone who doesn't fill the holes you have.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 05:55 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: That's what I meant by who is left and what team has a need for whoever is still there. Taking a BPA for a position you don't need is not a good option when there are so many holes to fill. IMO its better to reach for your needs than to pick someone who doesn't fill the holes you have.

I agree in large part. I mean I think you have to compromise at times and take needs. The way the Bengals basically refuse to use free agency just pigeon holes them even further into having to take needs, at times.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 02:39 AM)kevin Wrote: #1. Draft the Offensive Tackle they need.
#2. Draft the Linebacker or D Player they need.
#3. Draft the Ohio State strong arm QB Haskins if on the boards
#4. If Haskins on the boards, trade down to a team needing a QB and willing to give Bengals their 2nd and/or 3rd round pick in return. A team needing a QB may trade several picks to move up and get Haskins or Dalton. Bengals really don't need both Dalton and Haskins. They could however use more picks for new coaches in the first 3 or 4 rounds. BEWARE of making this trade with another AFC Team.  Don't need giving a Division Team a QB to haunt us twice a year.
#5 if top TE is available
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 06:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree in large part. I mean I think you have to compromise at times and take needs. The way the Bengals basically refuse to use free agency just pigeon holes them even further into having to take needs, at times.

Also just because a team isn't willing to trade up to the first three picks doesn't mean they wont trade up to the 11th. A lot can happen , we just have to hope they make better moves than some of the previous years and the new coaches do better with what they are given.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 07:20 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: #5 if top TE is available

The Bengals resigned all TE's including Eifert.   With so many other glaring huge weaknesses at Offensive Tackle and Linebacker, The Bengals completely have no concept of the draft or how to get from losing to play-off wins if they take a TE in round 1.   I only put in the QB part because there are teams way down that need to move up for a QB.  We don't need Dalton starting and a top pick sitting on the bench a few years watching Dalton play. Once you do start a bench sitting QB, they are are still like rookies, it's a total waste. So I really don't want is to draft a QB in #1 and still keep Dalton, that also makes no sense with all the other huge team weaknesses.  I could see a team trading up to get a QB.  

The idea that trading back is hard, almost impossible can't be true. The 49ers use to trade back every single year and draft announcers would rave about how smart 49ers worked the draft.  

So IF the top Offensive Tackles are gone and IF the top Linebackers are also gone at 11, then that means top QBs have fallen in the Top 10.  Their are teams who really need to draft a QB but are way behind pick 11.  To get a Top 5 or Top 10 pick QB still on the board at 11, A team might trade Bengals some nice picks to grab that QB they need.  There are teams that would love to trade up to get Haskins.  I would love to see Bengals draft Haskins, but not to sit on the bench. 

Please Bengals, no more 1st round TE's. Not with huge weakness at Offensive Tackle and Linebacker. The blocking is so bad, I really want to see a 1st round tackle.  We need Blocking.  Don't expect Dalton, Green, Boyd, Mixon to do much if Bengals don't add some Blocking.  I could live with the LB pick. I could see trading back for more picks. I can only see taking Haskins to start him and trade Dalton and I don't see them doing that.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 01:55 AM)kevin Wrote: The Bengals resigned all TE's including Eifert.   With so many other glaring huge weaknesses at Offensive Tackle and Linebacker, The Bengals completely have no concept of the draft or how to get from losing to play-off wins if they take a TE in round 1.   I only put in the QB part because there are teams way down that need to move up for a QB.  We don't need Dalton starting and a top pick sitting on the bench a few years watching Dalton play. Once you do start a bench sitting QB, they are are still like rookies, it's a total waste. So I really don't want is to draft a QB in #1 and still keep Dalton, that also makes no sense with all the other huge team weaknesses.  I could see a team trading up to get a QB.  

The idea that trading back is hard, almost impossible can't be true. The 49ers use to trade back every single year and draft announcers would rave about how smart 49ers worked the draft.  

So IF the top Offensive Tackles are gone and IF the top Linebackers are also gone at 11, then that means top QBs have fallen in the Top 10.  Their are teams who really need to draft a QB but are way behind pick 11.  To get a Top 5 or Top 10 pick QB still on the board at 11, A team might trade Bengals some nice picks to grab that QB they need.  There are teams that would love to trade up to get Haskins.  I would love to see Bengals draft Haskins, but not to sit on the bench. 

Please Bengals, no more 1st round TE's. Not with huge weakness at Offensive Tackle and Linebacker. The blocking is so bad, I really want to see a 1st round tackle.  We need Blocking.  Don't expect Dalton, Green, Boyd, Mixon to do much if Bengals don't add some Blocking.  I could live with the LB pick.  I could see trading back for more picks. I can only see taking Haskins to start him and trade Dalton and I don't see them doing that.

Ummm did we re sign Tyler Croft? Eifret? Give me a break that guy is MR GLASS he will be hurt by week 2. Hockenson would not be a bad pick and guess what else he does? Blocks. He would help the blocking as well as give us a viable catch passer. Again Eifret will be hurt and then we have Uzomah. I think we could use some help. Not the pick I want but given whats there when it comes I would not hate it
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2019, 11:29 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: If the top LBs and OTs are gone and one of the top QB are still available(imo I don't think they will be) then trading back for possibly two starters instead of one is the best option. Taking the QB is also a viable choice. Whoever is still on the board at 11 will determine how attack the coming year.

The Ohio State QB is going to the New Your Gaints,that is where he is from and they want him.He will not get pass the Gaints and I personally do not want him and why waste a 1st rounder on someone who will not make the team better day one.We need players that are going to be an impact day one,not a qb at 11. We can and will pick up a qb  later like round 5.We need a ton of top players right away.I hope this staff realizes that and I would be super ticked if they took him.It would show me this new staff has no clue.Why does everyone on here keep this insanity going? Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2019, 10:10 AM)fortyyearfan Wrote: The Ohio State QB is going to the New Your Gaints,that is where he is from and they want him.He will not get pass the Gaints and I personally do not want him and why waste a 1st rounder on someone who will not make the team better day one.We need players that are going to be an impact day one,not a qb at 11. We can and will pick up a qb  later like round 5.We need a ton of top players right away.I hope this staff realizes that and I would be super ticked if they took him.It would show me this new staff has no clue.Why does everyone on here keep this insanity going? Cool

OK . I'll forward this to the FO because you know more than the professionals do. I like to express my "opinions " also but I don't try to fool myself into thinking I am a draft guru.
Reply/Quote