Dre Kirkpatrick
Andrew Billings
Shawn Williams
William Jackson
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst defensive player so far in 2019
(10-16-2018, 12:50 PM)Joelist Wrote: Too bad there is no line for Teryl Austin, as after rewatching the Stealers game (lost my lunch in the process) I am thinking more and more the problem is schematic. Dre and WJIII are clearly better in man coverage. Bates needs to be free to react to the ball and use either Williams or Fed kind of like a SS/4th LB.

The scheme problems continue up front where we are doing almost nothing to get Geno and/or Dunlap matched up better. No flips, stunts or anything. How about as an experiment do some downs with Billings and Tupou at Tackle and Geno and Dunlap at the ends? ANYTHING to get the DL into better matchups.

Agree completely. I noticed as well it was straight up on your man with our best players getting double. No stunts or anything even remotely exotic. I still feel like I’m watching a preseason D out there.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 11:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Lawson is having a fine season for a rotational sophomore Dlineman. I believe his pressure rate against the QB is one of the better in the league

WJIII is our best corner (Given DD is closing the gap)

Dre is a starting quality offside CB

Shawn Williams has already won a game for us this year.

Folks are just overly emotional after a Steelers loss. This D held Pitt to 6 points for 29:50 of the second half. If our O could have managed 2 TDs in that same half against a poor Steeler D we win.

We are just one week removed from agreeing that the D won a game for us.

I will say I did like what I saw from Adolphus Washington and think he could take Billing's job if given a shot.

The defense allows 28 points, almost 500 yards, 26 first downs, 8/14 3rd down conversions, with 0 sacks and 0 forced turnovers.

Our offense posted only 275 yards, but they had 21 points, 20 first downs, 6/12 3rd downs, with 3 sacks and 0 turnovers.

The offense wasn't great, but they were clutch at the end. The defense was the opposite of clutch at the end. This loss is more on the defense. No doubt about that. As to the defense winning the game last week, they were also terrible for the first 4 weeks. We can't just forget that happened because they were good one week.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 01:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The defense allows 28 points, almost 500 yards, 26 first downs, 8/14 3rd down conversions, with 0 sacks and 0 forced turnovers.

Our offense posted only 275 yards, but they had 21 points, 20 first downs, 6/12 3rd downs, with 3 sacks and 0 turnovers.

The offense wasn't great, but they were clutch at the end. The defense was the opposite of clutch at the end. This loss is more on the defense. No doubt about that. As to the defense winning the game last week, they were also terrible for the first 4 weeks. We can't just forget that happened because they were good one week.

No doubt the D !

Barry Sanders errr Christian McCaffrey had 184 rushing yards against us on 28 carries for little over 6.5 a carry. He has 349 total yards and 71 carries total in his 5 games.

So in the other 4 games his stat line average is 41 yards on little under 11 carries for 3.7 a carry.

So that game was totally on Andy Da.......I mean the offense as well right ? Rolleyes
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
right now the Bengals are hurting right up the middle of the defense
Geno is getting doubled and Billings cant keep proper leverage and is getting handled one on one.
meanwhile ta
our lbers are getting blocked with the greatest of ease at the 2nd level.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 12:09 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think Dre belongs on this list either. He’s by far our best CB right now.

The last two games WJ3 hasn’t allowed a pass completion. He’s easily the best corner.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 02:53 AM)grampahol Wrote: Teryl Austin and he doesn't even play.  

:andy:
Reply/Quote
Every year we have several players that 'shine' in TC and fade away as soon as the season starts.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Moving Tupou up the depth chart and making him a starter could light a fire under Tupou and Billings. But Marvin does not believe in depth charts. Lawson was not hype he had 8 sacks his rookie year he has had a bad second year which a lot of NFL players experience. Billings is all hype since he has never produced on a NFL level outside of preseason.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 11:20 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: He's being used too much in coverage, which isn't his strong suit and a bum ankle makes it even worse. I'm starting to think Haslett either doesn't know or doesn't teach the LB's how to pass cover.

No less a linebacking authority than London Fletcher said Haslett was a terrible coach. London appears to be right.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 01:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The defense allows 28 points, almost 500 yards, 26 first downs, 8/14 3rd down conversions, with 0 sacks and 0 forced turnovers.

Well as long as you have no doubt, we can overlook the multiple dropped catches by the O. and them not scoring anything for 29 minutes of the 30 minute second half. We can attribute it to the D that held them to 20 points (would have been their second lowest output of the season) until they had to sell out to get a sack; instead of a O that had the 2nd lowest (points, yards is probably worse) offensive output against the Steelers all year.

Sometimes you have to consider the opponent. The Steelers have been terrible on D all year while excelling at O. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 06:37 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: No less a linebacking authority than London Fletcher said Haslett was a terrible coach.  London appears to be right.

There has been more than a couple of us on here, that have stated the samething about Haslett
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 02:46 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: The last two games WJ3 hasn’t allowed a pass completion. He’s easily the best corner.

If true that’s encouraging. He wasn’t looking great earlier in the season.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If true that’s encouraging. He wasn’t looking great earlier in the season.

I wonder if that is just adjusting to the new scheme?   He looked a lot better last week and Sunday.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:05 PM)sandwedge Wrote: There has been more than a couple of us on here, that have stated the samething about Haslett

So who does Haslett have to work with a head case that is out of shape {Burfict} a 250 pound run stuffer that never was a cover LB {Brown} Vigil that everyone thinks sucks. Or maybe Nickerson or a 31 year old Vinny Rey that has never been good at covering anyone going back years before Haslett got here oh we have this amazingly fast rookie that is named Malik only problem is he only spied QB in college and is as raw as they get. The only backer that stands a chance of covering anyone is Evans and he was benched for the headcase so he wont be developeing any time soon.

This position has the least amount of talent on the team and has the least amount of high draft picks invested.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 07:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well as long as you have no doubt, we can overlook the multiple dropped catches by the O. and them not scoring anything for 29 minutes of the 30 minute second half. We can attribute it to the D that held them to 20 points (would have been their second lowest output of the season) until they had to sell out to get a sack; instead of a O that had the 2nd lowest (points, yards is probably worse) offensive output against the Steelers all year.

Sometimes you have to consider the opponent. The Steelers have been terrible on D all year while excelling at O. 

Hack and splice it up however, but the overall stats show a decent game for the offense (despite the drops) and a bad game for the defense.

I am considering the opponent. With these divisional games, you can pretty much throw season rankings out the window. Our offense doesn't typically play well against their defense regardless of their ranking, and it's been that way for many years. Our defense has done a much better job of slowing the Steelers in the past, regardless of how high they were ranked (they've been a great offense for a long time now). 

Ultimately, the offense gave us the lead with 1:18 left. They came through with a clutch drive and the defense just couldn't hold. We're not used to seeing this, but our once mighty D has been looking pretty vulnerable this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2018, 01:56 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hack and splice it up however, but the overall stats show a decent game for the offense (despite the drops) and a bad game for the defense.

I am considering the opponent. With these divisional games, you can pretty much throw season rankings out the window. Our offense doesn't typically play well against their defense regardless of their ranking, and it's been that way for many years. Our defense has done a much better job of slowing the Steelers in the past, regardless of how high they were ranked (they've been a great offense for a long time now). 

Ultimately, the offense gave us the lead with 1:18 left. They came through with a clutch drive and the defense just couldn't hold. We're not used to seeing this, but our once mighty D has been looking pretty vulnerable this year.

I'd add that Erickson helped the offense with two very nice returns, but hindered their yardage as a result....along with a bad Stoolers punt.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote