Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Worst to First???
(03-20-2020, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Last year we had the worst defense in football. With the moves we know they have already made, could this be one of, if not THE best defense this year? DJ Reader, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Sam Hubbard has to be one of the scariest Defensive lines in the league. And  withe Zimmer's Corners we have improved the defensive backfield, which 2 years ago was rated 6th or 7th in the league? We know Pratt was coming into his own towards the end of last season and figuring it out. If they can grab a decent linebacker or two to cover the middle of the field, I don't know why this couldn't be the best unit in the league this coming season.

Now, add in an offensive line that we already know is being improved by  the addition of Williams and the big Samoan, and a once in a decade QB being drafted in (and hopefully a Dalton for Thuney trade)..... I just can't help but feel it is finally the Bengals' time once again. IF we can just keep the injury bug away.

You got some big "Ifs" in there.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-20-2020, 02:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You got some big "Ifs" in there.

Think of the sheer number of things in life that revolve around that enormous little word.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

It will take another year for the Bengals to be formidable. The Bengals need to "hit" on several picks this year in the draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

(03-20-2020, 02:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You got some big "Ifs" in there.

I don't think being able to get a top flight linebacker at 33 is that big of an if. The injury bug if is the one that bothers me most. Our #1 pick has missed the entire season for 2 years in a row.....
(03-20-2020, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What concerns me is that we seemed to have a good bit of talent on defense last year that just underperformed.  I am worried about the coaching on that side of the ball.  Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates have all looked better than they did last year.  Our D-line should have been more efficient with Geno, Carlos, Hubbard and Billings.

They've been shifting systems with new coordinators a lot in the last few years.  I'm hoping that a second year in Anarumo's defense coupled with better-tackling defensive backs will bring tighter play in 2020. 

I still think that they lack a real leader, though.  That void hasn't been filled since Vontaze and Pacman were let go.  They've seemed confused, particularly in the secondary way too often of late.
I knew this topic was coming, and I am all for it! Who Dey , My Bengal brother...
(03-20-2020, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What concerns me is that we seemed to have a good bit of talent on defense last year that just underperformed.  I am worried about the coaching on that side of the ball.  Jackson, Kirkpatrick, and Bates have all looked better than they did last year.  Our D-line should have been more efficient with Geno, Carlos, Hubbard and Billings.

Weren't you just blasting someone else for saying this same exact thing basically? Saying they were whining In the thread about one of the vikings DB?
I'm encouraged but they are just names on paper till the season starts.
(03-20-2020, 03:28 PM)Tony Wrote: Weren't you just blasting someone else for saying this same exact thing basically? Saying they were whining In the thread about one of the vikings DB?

I was blasting someone for whining about EVERY SINGLE FREE AGENT WE SIGN.

There was a lot of underperforming on D last season, however, Jackson, Kirkpatrick and Bates have all been known to not be as strong in the run game and tackling as they are covering, and we got gouged in the run game badly all year. Geno is getting older and played too many snaps, and we had bad LB's most of the year. 

I cant see last to first, but with the changes we've made to sort of gear up to stop the run game better, I could see a decent jump in defensive rankings. Middle of the pack would be way better than where it has been the last couple years. Improving on 3rd down and run defense would be huge. I think Lou is attacking that stuff directly.
(03-20-2020, 12:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Our two Super Bowl appearances came after 4 win and 6 win seasons.

Our recent 5 year playoff run started after a 4 win season.

Last year at this time people were laughing at any Forty-niner fan who predicted a Super Bowl appearance.

Not going to put any money on us going to the Super Bowl this year, but anything is possible.

I agree SB is a bit of a reach.
Most of us probably figure about 6 wins or slightly more.
Burrow Year 2 is when I will be expecting much more.

Edit: ah Defensively speaking. I see more of a jump to middle of the pack. defense FA's usually need half a season to get it together and learn their new responsibilities. But again, year 2 they should be dominating (and by then we should also have a good MLB).
Been away from computer.

Have to give Bengal management a lot of credit and I have been a big critic ever since Marv was not fired after the playoff meltdown to Steelers.

Our CBs were pretty bad tackling last year and that ability is what jumps out for me on the two Vikings they signed.

The Nose tackle could go a long way to help improve the worst run D in league.

Now add 3 to 4 good players in draft or a couple of smart free agent additions and you have started a legitimate re-build.

Will not be shocked if AJ and Dalton both end up in NE in exchange for the franchised guard and their first round pick.

I  know several on board think no way AJ is leaving but I honestly think that would be best for everyone.

I would be pulling for Andy and AJ to win a Super Bowl. They both have been great Bengals and good guys.

Kudos to front office for making a really good effort. Looking forward to next moves.
(03-20-2020, 06:01 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Been away from computer.

Have to give Bengal management a lot of credit and I have been a big critic ever since Marv was not fired after the playoff meltdown to Steelers.

Our CBs were pretty bad tackling last year and that ability is what jumps out for me on the two Vikings they signed.

The Nose tackle could go a long way to help improve the worst run D in league.

Now add 3 to 4 good players in draft or a couple of smart free agent additions and you have started a legitimate re-build.

Will not be shocked if AJ and Dalton both end up in NE in exchange for the franchised guard and their first round pick.

I  know several on board think no way AJ is leaving but I honestly think that would be best for everyone.

I would be pulling for Andy and AJ to win a Super Bowl. They both have been great Bengals and good guys.

Kudos to front office for making a really good effort. Looking forward to next moves.
I agree with just about everything you said except for AJ.  No way can anybody in that building stomach the idea of another year without AJ.

And there is no dang way I am assisting in the re-arming of the freaking Pats.  If he wants AD, he can absolutely have him.  But there's no way in hell he's getting AJ.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

(03-20-2020, 06:19 PM)McC Wrote: I agree with just about everything you said except for AJ.  No way can anybody in that building stomach the idea of another year without AJ.

And there is no dang way I am assisting in the re-arming of the freaking Pats.  If he wants AD, he can absolutely have him.  But there's no way in hell he's getting AJ.

Plus Burrow wants AJ here. I thought this was out of the question when Burrow said this.
(03-20-2020, 12:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Last year we had the worst defense in football. With the moves we know they have already made, could this be one of, if not THE best defense this year? DJ Reader, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap and Sam Hubbard has to be one of the scariest Defensive lines in the league. And  withe Zimmer's Corners we have improved the defensive backfield, which 2 years ago was rated 6th or 7th in the league? We know Pratt was coming into his own towards the end of last season and figuring it out. If they can grab a decent linebacker or two to cover the middle of the field, I don't know why this couldn't be the best unit in the league this coming season.

Now, add in an offensive line that we already know is being improved by  the addition of Williams and the big Samoan, and a once in a decade QB being drafted in (and hopefully a Dalton for Thuney trade)..... I just can't help but feel it is finally the Bengals' time once again. IF we can just keep the injury bug away.

I love your optimism as I am an optimist. I do see the defense being much better. I see the team being much better. I am hoprful after the draft I think they are playoff bound (possibly) ready.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(03-20-2020, 06:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Plus Burrow wants AJ here. I thought this was out of the question when Burrow said this.

It is.. AJ will be signed soon to a long term deal
 No doubt about it..
All three new players on D bring vastly improved tackling ability to the table. Considering bad tackling lost us at least four games last year I am all for this type of focused improvement.
(03-20-2020, 06:19 PM)McC Wrote: I agree with just about everything you said except for AJ.  No way can anybody in that building stomach the idea of another year without AJ.

Agreed... And when was the last time a QB AND his go to WR were part of a package trade? Especially for a guard.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(03-20-2020, 09:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: All three new players on D bring vastly improved tackling ability to the table. Considering bad tackling lost us at least four games last year I am all for this type of focused improvement.

I agree our tackling was bad ad also soft. We don't make jarring hits.

New year and hopefully more clean hits that dislodge the ball in 2020.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(03-20-2020, 03:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't think being able to get a top flight linebacker at 33 is that big of an if. The injury bug if is the one that bothers me most. Our #1 pick has missed the entire season for 2 years in a row.....

Billy Price played in 10 games his rookie season. How could you forget how awful he was??