Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Worst to first?
Since 2003, a division basement dweller - who also had 5 or less wins - has ended up taking their division crown the following year on 16 different occasions.

Could the Bengals be the next to do it?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Since 2003, a division basement dweller - who also had 5 or less wins - has ended up taking their division crown the following year on 16 different occasions.

Definitely possible with this Defense. I think now we will be able to contain Lamar some now and the Draft hasn't even happened 
yet. Our biggest problems on Defense were stopping the run and terrible tackling. Reader, Bell, Bynes, Waynes and Alexander all 
help in both of these aspects. Plus Zac said he is going to make a point of having much more physical practices this year working 
on tackling. Big time emphasis.

Bringing in Burrow, improving the O-line and adding weapons and the Offense should be much better.
Reply/Quote
I have a hard time seeing first, but second wouldn't be too high of a goal depending on how Pitt returns. Third is more likely, going from 2-14 to 7is wins is a good improvement in my eyes.
Reply/Quote
We appear to be starting a rookie qb so I am not raising expectations that high yet. We should be good but with a rookie qb it depends on when things slow down for him.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:15 PM)Cicero Wrote: We appear to be starting a rookie qb so I am not raising expectations that high yet. We should be good but with a rookie qb it depends on when things slow down for him.

I know he will be a rookie but Joe Burrow isn't your normal rookie QB...
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Since 2003, a division basement dweller - who also had 5 or less wins - has ended up taking their division crown the following year on 16 different occasions.

If we didn't have the Crows in our division, I might think it could be possible. 

While I think they might not be the world beaters this year that they were last year, I don't see them falling back enough  for us to catch them.  I don't think their offense is all that sustainable over the long haul, but we haven't gotten to the long haul yet.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:25 PM)McC Wrote: If we didn't have the Crows in our division, I might think it could be possible. 

While I think they might not be the world beaters this year that they were last year, I don't see them falling back enough  for us to catch them.  I don't think their offense is all that sustainable over the long haul, but we haven't gotten to the long haul yet.

It just takes one hit to knock them out of the Division...

Lamar cannot run around like that for his entire career, he will end up like his backup.
Reply/Quote
Didn't the Bengals do just that, in 2009? In 2008 didn't they go 4-12, and then go on to sweep the division in 2009?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The "analytics" (WAR model) have us pegged around 6.5 wins. I think 8 wins is a good starting point for this team, especially playing a last place schedule, so we have that going for us. I don't realistically seeing them from worst to first, but stranger things have happened. Hopefully after another year of JB development we can really start to turn up the heat.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Didn't the Bengals do just that, in 2009?  In 2008 didn't they go 4-12, and then go on to sweep the division in 2009?

And San Fran literally just did it ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:47 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: And San Fran literally just did it ThumbsUp

Yes they did and it was mainly from improving their Defense first and then their running game.

Just hope our play calling improves as Taylor wasn't even in Shanahan's stratosphere last year in this department.
Reply/Quote
We still have glaring holes on the OLine and LB position. I see us as a 8-8 team that could be better or worse depending on Burrows transition and health. The only reason i won’t say worst to first is bc our division is strong and there’s no way you can predict the ravens to fall off without a Lamar injury. The Steelers should be better assuming Ben is somewhat himself and they have an elite defense. The Browns have also addressed critical needs already and won’t be as bad as they were last year unless Mayfield really is a bust.
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definitely possible with this Defense. I think now we will be able to contain Lamar some now and the Draft hasn't even happened 
yet. Our biggest problems on Defense were stopping the run and terrible tackling. Reader, Bell, Bynes, Waynes and Alexander all 
help in both of these aspects. Plus Zac said he is going to make a point of having much more physical practices this year working 
on tackling. Big time emphasis.

Bringing in Burrow, improving the O-line and adding weapons and the Offense should be much better.

I don't know really. I guess we will know after the scrimmages. The rat birds the stoolers and the clowns aren't bad either. It would be nice to finally beat them all twice this season. We will see!! as always, you get us thinking about the positives. Thank You.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes they did and it was mainly from improving their Defense first and then their running game.

Just hope our play calling improves as Taylor wasn't even in Shanahan's stratosphere last year in this department.

Right, but took him until his third year to do so. We have to work out the kinks like he did with personal ZT wants. We still have a few holes to fill as well, so hopefully we can get those straightened out. I’m pinning a lot of my SB hope on next year tbh
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It just takes one hit to knock them out of the Division...

Lamar cannot run around like that for his entire career, he will end up like his backup.

Yep

I'm not predicting their demise right now but what L Jackson did last season isn't sustainable. 

Worst to first ? it's not impossible with a lucky break or two. Big Jen ain't getting any younger and the Browns will do what they do and Brown it up ! i don't think Hayfield is anything special. But i'd say 2nd behind Ravens more likely which wouldn't be bad at all.
Reply/Quote
6 to 8 wins and beating the Steelers in Cincinnati would be a great season for a rookie QB , given the holes we still have on o line and LB.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 05:32 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I don't know really. I guess we will know after the scrimmages. The rat birds the stoolers and the clowns aren't bad either. It would be nice to finally beat them all twice this season. We will see!! as always, you get us thinking about the positives. Thank You.

It is a tough Division, especially with the way the Ravens played last season on both sides of the ball and how the Stoolers 
still played decent even with all their injuries. The Browns are the Browns until they prove otherwise, it was such a joke last
year when all the pundits were acting like they were Super Bowl contenders, I think most knew it was a joke.

You just don't add divas over and over to your team and expect to win the big game, don't care how talented they are.

You are welcome RASCAL. Cool

(03-26-2020, 06:06 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Right, but took him until his third year to do so. We have to work out the kinks like he did with personal ZT wants. We still have a few holes to fill as well, so hopefully we can get those straightened out. I’m pinning a lot of my SB hope on next year tbh

True, we will have to see how Taylor builds this team around Burrow and how it grows. Should be fun, anything can happen.

All I know is both the Defense and Offense should be muchly improved from what we saw last year regardless.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 06:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

I'm not predicting their demise right now but what L Jackson did last season isn't sustainable. 

Worst to first ? it's not impossible with a lucky break or two. Big Jen ain't getting any younger and the Browns will do what they do and Brown it up ! i don't think Hayfield is anything special. But i'd say 2nd behind Ravens more likely which wouldn't be bad at all.

That is what I am saying. Not sustainable at all what Lamar was doing last season. We just need to keep him in the pocket and if
he beats you through the air so be it, but if he runs punish him. We will start beating the Stoolpitt eventually should start this year
and yeah the Stains are nothing special. I am expecting us to play good Defense this year with this haul and our Offense should 
improve under Burrow and an improved O-line. 
Reply/Quote
Do I dare say it? “17-0”

[Image: thug-life-mic-drop-animated.gif]

Reply/Quote
Need more pieces. Cannot go into season with a New QB with this OL. I know the OL showed some improvement but I cringe going into the season with Jordan as starting RG and Hart as RT. Williams is an unknown. Still some holes at backer, DE, OL, maybe WR.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote