Poll: Hopkins to OG if a C is added?
Yes, move him to OG
Release him
Keep him at C, he's fine
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worth Moving Hopkins Back to OG?
(03-09-2022, 07:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, they all have their strengths and weaknesses but Adeniji's weakness in just being on roller skates all the time makes
even his quick feet meaningless. I really think we have a couple special players in Carman and D'Ante though, hope they 
develop into what they could be, they are really talented and flash big at times. Both just need to stay healthy.

I'll give Adeniji a break, as he was injured, was forced to play guard instead of tackle and the plan all along was to develop the guy not have him start in the SB.  That said,  I wish he wasnt that horrible.  He did gain a lot of experience, as did Carmen, and Smith got some quality snaps,  We would be much better off if these guys could really step up and become reliable, at least one must become a solid starter.

Also:  You really like Brian Allen?

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 02:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Get ready for it. 

There's absolutely no way in hell the Bengals are signing 3 guys for the line. I'd say 2 would be a bit of a shock as well. Expect 1 FA Olineman and hope that they're willing to spend for a true #1 and not a 2 or 3. They have too many guys that they've drafted and picked up to not allow them to develop and try them again with some more experience. 

#Bengalthinking

Why? The weaknesses are so clear there is no excuse for not fixing them...

We don't even have cap issues as an excuse. At the very least I expect us to bring in James Daniels and Morgan Moses.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 02:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Get ready for it. 

There's absolutely no way in hell the Bengals are signing 3 guys for the line. I'd say 2 would be a bit of a shock as well. Expect 1 FA Olineman and hope that they're willing to spend for a true #1 and not a 2 or 3. They have too many guys that they've drafted and picked up to not allow them to develop and try them again with some more experience. 

#Bengalthinking

Agree. Maybe 2. Look, they drafted OL last year for a reason so just coach the SOB's up. Demand they reproportion their weight and bodies. Those guys, with all their weaknesses exposes, etc., got a ton of valuable experience last season and got a great sniff at what a winner is. You defeat your entire purpose by not grooming players. Did anybody think anyone of those guys was just going to become a solid starter in their first year? If you then you know very little about the NFL.

Good organizations (which this one is becoming) and an excellent coaching staff (which they have become) demand that players metamorphasize and grow. This is something quite new to this team so let's see what happens.It's also on Burrow to get rid of the ball quicker. Plenty of sacks were on him.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 03:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'll give Adeniji a break, as he was injured, was forced to play guard instead of tackle and the plan all along was to develop the guy not have him start in the SB.  That said,  I wish he wasnt that horrible.  He did gain a lot of experience, as did Carmen, and Smith got some quality snaps,  We would be much better off if these guys could really step up and become reliable, at least one must become a solid starter.

Brian Allen's pass pro numbers/issues (especially in true pass sets) would make me very wary of signing him. He's not a guy I would feel comfortable with being the anchor of this line for the next 3-4 years.

I would be stoked with a Jensen signing because of his leadership, experience and attitude...but even he wouldn't come without any concerns. One would be how effectively he will translate to the wide zone. The other is his performance in true pass sets, where he actually finished behind Hopkins this season. Even with those concerns though, he's a much better fit than Bozeman and much more reliable than Allen.

Ben Jones may be the best overall fit, but they may avoid him because he'll be 33 when the season starts, unless he comes at a very reasonable price and could just be a short-term bridge for a year or 2.

A much cheaper option could be Ted Karras. He's not necessarily great at anything, but he's a solid vet who's fairly reliable in pass pro and would allow them to draft a C and not be forced to start them right away.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 03:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think they're definitely signing at least 2...C and G. 

If they did 2, which i don't think they will, the 2nd would probably be a bargain basement/servicible guy...similar to a couple guys on the roster right now. 

We always get jacked up about FA and what is out there that the Bengals need, then FA starts and those really good, helpful guys are way over our price range. I just don't see them spending any different than they have the last couple years and i think they like what they have on the roster right now.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 03:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why? The weaknesses are so clear there is no excuse for not fixing them...

We don't even have cap issues as an excuse. At the very least I expect us to bring in James Daniels and Morgan Moses.

They're no more clear than they've been any other year and the 'wash-rinse-repeat' of getting all fired up only to be disappointed, is undefeated in Bengaland. The disappointment has been softened the last couple years but the trajectory of them signing 2 high-quality OL would mean the neddle would be pointing staight up and they're not the type of people to make that kind of jump.

Price point + all the other teams that need them too + Bengals not guaranteeing as much = Don't bank on it.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Hopkins was worse at G than at C.

If/when a suitable upgrade is found, release him. Saving $6 mil will help us find another rotational piece. If we sonehow do all our business and still have an excess of cap space, keep him as the backup C.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 03:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'll give Adeniji a break, as he was injured, was forced to play guard instead of tackle and the plan all along was to develop the guy not have him start in the SB.  That said,  I wish he wasnt that horrible.  He did gain a lot of experience, as did Carmen, and Smith got some quality snaps,  We would be much better off if these guys could really step up and become reliable, at least one must become a solid starter.

I just don't see Adeniji being able to hold up but he is young. He reminds me too much of Michael Jordan without the strength.

Plays too high, yeah as SHRacer said he has good feet, but it doesn't matter if he can't anchor and stop the D-lineman from 
driving him back. I see no aggressiveness in him either, the opposite of Carman who wants to punish the defender.

I like Allen in run blocking a lot, but as Holic said he is a worse pass protector than Hop. I am not saying I really like Allen just
saying he fits and makes sense if we do move on from Hopkins. I like Daniels, Jensen and maybe even Karras more cause I want
my Center to be able to both pass block and run block. Hop doesn't run block well.

Honestly if we are to pick I think I would rather have a decent pass blocker in Hop than a poor pass blocker in Allen.

Need to keep Burrow upright. #1 priority over even a running game.

(03-10-2022, 05:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They're no more clear than they've been any other year and the 'wash-rinse-repeat' of getting all fired up only to be disappointed, is undefeated in Bengaland. The disappointment has been softened the last couple years but the trajectory of them signing 2 high-quality OL would mean the neddle would be pointing staight up and they're not the type of people to make that kind of jump.

Price point + all the other teams that need them too + Bengals not guaranteeing as much = Don't bank on it.

Well, you were probably saying this before we made all our moves on the Defense the last few years too.

You are just being cautious, I understand you don't want to get your hopes up.

But what happened to us is almost identical to what happened to the Chiefs last year in the Superbowl and guess what they did?

We even were one play away from winning the SB and the OL is the most obvious reason we lost.

I am banking on us signing at the very least 2 decent upgrades to the OL in Free Agency. Suit yourself.

I have seen different in FA the last few years as you should. They have made an effort unlike in years past on one side of the ball
and now they have the chance to make the effort on the other side and have the money and there are players that will be available
and want to block for Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote