Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would Gresham be doing the same thing Eifert is if he had this years' Andy?
(10-15-2015, 08:18 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Or hands, or discipline, or route-running, or football IQ, or.....

In the words of Jay Gruden: "Jermaine needs to learn how to play football", and that was before the 2013 season. 

Is there a source for this? Not disputing it, I'd just love to see/hear that from Gruden because I couldn't agree more.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I just don't get why people can't be elated about Eifert without convincing themselves that Gresham was a total bum that made 2011-2014 unbearable.  Wasn't Gresham the best TE this team had in a long time, or am I severely underestimating the power of Chase Coffman and Dan Coates?

Well, I said that in another thread and was told that it "doesn't mean much" that he was the best TE we've seen in a while since the others sucked so bad. I guess I can understand that logic, but Gresham was still much better than any of the crappy TEs, so shouldn't that mean he's at least a decent TE? Meh.

I don't see an issue with thinking that Gresham did some solid work here and also thinking that Eifert is going to be one of the league's best TEs.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:09 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I don't see an issue with thinking that Gresham did some solid work here and also thinking that Eifert is going to be one of the league's best TEs.

Yep, I don't get this "either-or" mentality, especially when there was a very intentional plan to get both of them in the rotation in 2014 that was sidelined by injury.  I just go back to the offseason where some people were seriously worried that Hue being stupid enough to work Gio into the RB rotation was going to ruin the season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yep, I don't get this "either-or" mentality, especially when there was a very intentional plan to get both of them in the rotation in 2014 that was sidelined by injury.  I just go back to the offseason where some people were seriously worried that Hue being stupid enough to work Gio into the RB rotation was going to ruin the season.

Or when people couldn't figure out how our 2 TE sets with Gresham and Eifert were going to be stopped.

But now Gresham sucks.

Boo him now! Boooooooooooo!
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:16 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Or when people couldn't figure out how our 2 TE sets with Gresham and Eifert were going to be stopped.

But now Gresham sucks.

Gresham and Eifert were going to be Gronk and pre-muder Hernandez.  Then Herurumrman and Eifert were going to be Gronk and Hernandez.  Then Kroft and Eifert were going to be Gronk and Hernandez.  Now that Kroft has 0 catches we seem to have a "Thank god we only have 1 catching TE" mentality going.

Eifert is better than Gresham by a mile, but the manner by which we keep bending out reality to convince ourselves our current setup is the greatest thing ever is sort of amusing.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:16 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Or when people couldn't figure out how our 2 TE sets with Gresham and Eifert were going to be stopped.

But now Gresham sucks.

yeah was kinda sad we never got to see that come into play...
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah was kinda sad we never got to see that come into play...

2013 was a nice preview, and I can only imagine that 2014 would have been much better had Eifert been healthy. Or this year if Gresh stuck around and wasn't dealing with a nagging injury.

Andy is playing great, Eifert looks amazing, and Gresham was solid despite all the hate. It would have been cool to see that along with the 4+ weapons at WR and RB to go along with them.
Reply/Quote
That's like asking if Jerome Simpson would be doing the same thing that Green has done if he had even 13's Andy Dalton.

Stop.
Reply/Quote
I always felt Gresh needed some Adderrall on game days.

He had the size and the fundamentals to be a great tight end but boy, was he CLUMSY! He needed refinement and it just never happened.

Seemed like an inattention issue to me...Trust me, I should know. I have it too. Confused
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:23 PM)djs7685 Wrote: 2013 was a nice preview, and I can only imagine that 2014 would have been much better had Eifert been healthy. Or this year if Gresh stuck around and wasn't dealing with a nagging injury.

Andy is playing great, Eifert looks amazing, and Gresham was solid despite all the hate. It would have been cool to see that along with the 4+ weapons at WR and RB to go along with them.

agree because so far the 2 rookies have been non factors.
Reply/Quote
Simple answer: No he wouldn't.

Because he's not doing much with this year's Palmer.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 03:05 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Hey there, if you want to bash Gresham, at least get your shit straight.

2010 - 2 false start, 1 hold, 1 unnecessary roughness
2011 - 5 false start, 1 OPI
2012 - 3 false start, 6 hold
2013 - 4 false start, 5 hold, 1 unsportsmanlike, 1 declined OPI
2014 - 3 false start, 1 hold, 1 illegal motion

Doesn't look like multiple "illegal formations" in there to me. I'd wager that not many of Andy's INTs were because of Gresham's arm length as well.

I didn't know ultra seriousness was required.  I'm a bit new here.

Illegal formation penalties are not assigned, necessarily, to the player at fault for the illegal formation.  It is extremely hard for the TE to be called, even if he is at fault, unless that TE is lining up as something other than the TE.  The illegal formation is always called on the receiver who covered, or failed to cover.

This doesn't mean, or prove, that Gresham was or wasn't at fault for such penalties.  The only observation I have is that we haven't seen that flag since he left.  A flag that's appeared to be a staple of the Bengals offense since he was drafted.  A deductive reasoning thing.  I could be misremembering.

"T Rex arms" implies a receiver faking effort to extend for a ball, but not so much.   Not a wing span measurement reference.  I'd actually blame his poor route running.  There were two things he could do.  A deep seem and the old take two steps and turn around to gain two yards on third and five.  Anything else and the interception likelihood went way up.  More deductive reasoning.  Gresham gone, interceptions WAY down.

It is true that his bone head mistakes, at least the ones that appear on a stat sheet, went down last year.  So did his production.  Had his worst year as a pro.  
Reply/Quote
Gresham gone, INTs way down. How can anyone argue with that brilliance!?

Okay. Whose alt is this? Nice try, you scallywag.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 05:12 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Gresham gone, INTs way down. How can anyone argue with that brilliance!?

Okay. Whose alt is this? Nice try, you scallywag.

Perhaps it is just coincidence.  

Gresham is gone.  Interceptions are down.  Winning is up.  The analysis isn't that simple, but those are good things.. all of them IMO.

The forward pass, for regular success, requires more than finding an open guy and throwing the ball.  Anticipating.. throwing a guy open, that requires as much from the target as the passer.   The plays Eifert has made so far often involve the ball being in the air before he is "open".. assuming he is ever uncovered on the play.  Can you recall Gresham making a single play like that?  You'd trust that guy to run through traffic into an open spot where the ball is thrown?

I am more than mildly surprised at how popular that guy is here.  
Reply/Quote
No, but not because of talent. I really believe Greshams problems all started in the head.
Reply/Quote
After 2 years in the league Jermaine Gresham had 108 catches for 1067 yards and 10 TDs.

After 2 years in the league Tyler Eifert had 42 catches for 482 yards and 2 TDs
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm gonna say he was the 2nd best TE the Bengals ever had until the 2015 version of Eifert and leave it at that. Gresh was a very important step in the Bengals learning how to use TE's again. You might even say that he paved the way for Tyler.

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 06:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: After 2 years in the league Jermaine Gresham had 108 catches for 1067 yards and 10 TDs.

Predictable crap is the worst kind of crap.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 06:41 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Predictable crap is the worst kind of crap.

I agree. I knew just by reading the title of the thread what the over-whelming opinion would be. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2015, 06:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: After 2 years in the league Jermaine Gresham had 108 catches for 1067 yards and 10 TDs.

This post is clearly racist. Only half a  Ninja
Reply/Quote